1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taylor Reviews Vallejo Mecha Colour Paints

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by taylor, Dec 11, 2017.

1. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

So, as some of you know from following my plot, my wonderful wife bought me a full set of vallejo Mecha Colour Paints as an early Christmas gift.

This where I will be reviewing various colours as I use them, but @jherazob and @Koin-Koin asked me to do a review on the primer... So here it is.

First, I primed an HVT model and let it dry.

[​IMG]

Now... I'm going to do the unthinkable.

[​IMG]

That's right. I'm going to take a stiff toothbrush to it. This is the brush I use to clean off models I've stripped of paint. Prepare for the worst, as I've never done this before (as I'm sure, no painter in their right mind would).

The result:

[​IMG]

ABSOLUTELY NO DAMAGE!! :openmouth:

The white powder is from the brush... not the model. I'm absolutely shocked!!

So.. I'll keep on adding to this. If there are any colours you'd like to see applied - just request it in this thread and I'll be happy to accommodate. :grimacing:

2. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I should add... I scrubbed it for 3 minutes. Incredible!

Golem2God and jherazob like this.
  3. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Airbrush or hairybrush application for the primer?

Toothbrushes are not supposed to sand down your teeth. *grin*

4. HotFreshTofu

HotFreshTofu Well-Known Member

I got a flier for this paint range the other day, it has the whole catalog, but it's written in Japanese and I don't feel like spending an hour deciphering it.

What exactly is the point of this range? It seems it's intended for gunpla and the Japanese market, rather than mini's like infinity. I imagine it is a very flat saturated colour? It's hard to tell from the example photos in the flier I received, the model they painted is an anime figure and it basically looks like a plastic toy. The example photos seem to be showing that it applies in a thick coat, they painted a white line over a black primed plastic model and it looks solid.

I'm curious.

5. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

This was applied with an airbrush. The Vallejo Mecha Colour is designed for airbrushes - i've applied a few colours here and there with a brush, but it goes on much better through an airbrush.

I can try the same experiment with a model primed with model colour primer, but i'm pretty sure I can guess the result.

Here are some models I've painted with mecha colour.

[​IMG]

I haven't noticed it looking anymore flat than any other paint out there. I have noticed it is exceptionally durable and opaque. :grimacing:

6. bayushi

bayushi Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I too have managed to get my hands on the full mecha colour set, but have not had time to experiment with the paints beyond the white, which frankly did not give me very good results (grainy and plenty of dry tip) on an airbrush? May I ask what airbrush are you using? and what size needle? I have tried with a H&S Infinity 0.15mm and it gave me very grainy results (despite thinning and adding paint retarder)

7. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Freaking excellent! I may switch to these primers if i can find them here, i see that at least one local vendor has the line but haven't seen the primers there yet. Not sure about the paints themselves yet though, i do believe i have more than a hundred of VMC/VGC so there's far less reason for me to switch to those, but switching primers is not hard.

8. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Hmmm.. weird. I'm using a badger renegade krome. I don't know the tip size but I think it's. 21mm - I could be wrong. I bought a bunch of different tips for it. I haven't had that result though - all the colours I've used so far have gone through the brush just fine.

Glad I can help you out, chum. :grimacing:

9. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot @taylor for the feedback.
    I can't find this range around here yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll give it a try (at least for primers).
    I'll keep looking after your work with it :blush:

10. LazyBrush

LazyBrush Well-Known Member

i thought mecha range was made for paint plastics,this is interesting .

11. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Right on. Yeah, I'm a bit preoccupied with a commission right now, it my next commission is a usariadna army which will use those paints again.

Apparently not. It really is durable as all hell.

Koin-Koin likes this.
  12. Rumdog

Rumdog Well-Known Member

Hi there! Sorry for my bad English in advance guys, bear with me please)

Glad I was able to find this topic. Have a few problems with this primer, hope you can help me out!

Recently I decided to prime all my models with mecha primer black, and after 24+ hours of drying, results are not that exciting, to say the least. It scratches pretty easily and chips aways from small flat areas.

Miniatures was washed and cleaned of course, primer was diluted with original thinner in 1:1 ratio.

Should I just strip it away and prime again with "pure" primer?

13. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Never thin primer, it wasn't made for that, use it neat always. Now in this case? Maybe it'd be better to strip and re-prime to prevent future issues

14. Rumdog

Rumdog Well-Known Member

Got it, thanks for the reply!
    Definitely don't want my painted miniatures to chip off at the slightest touch in the future...

15. maru

maru Well-Known Member

so you primed silver model is silver primer -_o so we can't c a damn thing ..
    Btw is Mecha line an acrylic r it is aomething different ?

chromedog likes this.
  16. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

It's actually a semi-gloss or satin finish, and the Mecha Color paints bond directly to unprimed plastic like Krylon Fusion. Very scratch-resistant so you can play with your GunPla models (ie, repose them and handle them without worries).

It is acrylic, but as I said the standard colors bond directly to plastic without requiring a primer. From the smell, I think the primer is acrylic polyurethane, but according to the bottle of Mecha Primer Sand Primer I have it is just plain acrylic.

This stuff definitely is made for an airbrush, though. I've tried hairbrushing it on and it doesn't cover very well. It covers about like non-metallic Vallejo Model Air (Air Metallics are awesome, they cover perfectly even over white, everyone should buy them).

17. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

I've only used their mecha weathering range - the oilstains works well for that manky fluid that leaks out of dumpsters.

18. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

If you need brushable primer, try Badger Stynylrez / AMMO OneShot / the-UK-brand-I-always-forget, whatever is avaliable near you, they are the same thing. Use Vallejo primers for MDF, unless you have an aribrush (and even so, the Badger seems to beat them).

19. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Wow. Sorry for getting back to this so late. Dont check the forum for a few days and this is what happens. Lol.

@jherazob and @Section9 nailed it. Fyi.. still a year and a half later and I'm using mecha colour primer. :)

Section9 and jherazob like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation