1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White Noise AROs

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Vanderbane, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Vanderbane

Vanderbane Well-Known Member

Let's say you're playing transmission matrix. Some random trooper, let's say a LI, non-hacker with no hackable equipment wanders by one of the transmitters. My hackers can ARO and white noise against him, right?

2. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Yes, a Hacker with White Noise can ARO with White Noise anytime it has an ARO generated. White Noise does not have a target so it's not against anything.

3. Vanderbane

Vanderbane Well-Known Member

Great, so I can place said white noise anywhere in his hacking area as well, right? so in the transmission matrix example, it could go down on a different transmitter - yes?

4. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Yes. But remember that it needs to be entirely inside the Hacking Area.

Vanderbane likes this.
  5. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

And, in any case, remember that White Noes DOES NOT have the Special Dodge trait, so there is no way to avoid incoming attacks.

inane.imp likes this.
  6. NorthernNomad

NorthernNomad Well-Known Member

The wiki states that: "By passing a WIP Roll, the user may place a White Noise Circular Template inside his Hacking Area."

Does this mean:
    1. That you only have to declare the location of the White Noise Zone on resolution after you have succeeded your WIP Roll?
    2. If 1 is true; Then does that mean since placing the template is part of resolution that you are able to measure your hacking area to ensure that the template is entirely within it?
    3. If 1 or 2 are false; what happens if you accidentally placed part of the template outside your hacking area?

7. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

1. No, all details about an order are specified on declaration.
    2. N/a
    3. The skill fails and its declaration turns into Idle.

NorthernNomad and inane.imp like this.
  8. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

Also remember, If your opponent uses stealth on a KHD and walks a non stealthed model into your hacking area in the same order (Link team/coord) you must white noise.

The KHD will then probably melt you

ZlaKhon likes this.
  9. NorthernNomad

Why couldn't you just declare Breakwater or Reset?

10. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

If by hacking area he meant the 8" around you, then yes you could Reset. But if the hacking area is the one extended by a repeater, then that hacking area only applies to hacking, not Reset, so you can Whitenoise but not Reset.

As for Blackwater, you can only declare it after you get attacked by hacking. Dodge also requires to be attacked (or else you simply have LoF to an active non-attacker trooper which is not enough), but was FAQ'ed to allow Dodge ARO against enemy Move, unfortunately we are still waiting on a similar FAQ for Breakwater.

11. NorthernNomad

Wait if that is the case then you can never declare any of the defensive hacking programs as an ARO unless you have Sixth Sense. That has to be a mistake...

12. Nemo No Name

Nemo No Name Aleph Cultural Atache

Why do you think CB introduced White Hacking Device? :D

13. NorthernNomad

That is pretty dumb, they should just get rid of the requirement and have it so you can always use if something activates in your hacking area like white noise.

14. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums ;).

In all seriousness, this has been discussed before and I can't think of a single person that thinks their "fix" to DHDs (read: make WHDs) was better than just making DHDs, or shield programs in general, allowed to be declared preemtively.

inane.imp, BLOODGOD and NorthernNomad like this.
  15. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

My sweet child of summer...

inane.imp likes this.
  16. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Making Shield Programs declared preemptively just makes them into Idiot Trap Killer Hacking Devices. And they still get normal rolled in the back in ZoC by a hacker with a gun. That’s at least what Sixth Sense addresses.

Disclaimer: The concept of defensive hacking in 3rd edition is rubbish. I don’t want to argue over which flavor of rubbish is less bad, it’s still all rubbish.

NorthernNomad likes this.
  17. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Clearly someone at CB did. Which leads me to believe that they don't really understand the problem to begin with - they probably play fast and loose with the requirements to declare skills in their playtest games.

meikyoushisui and NorthernNomad like this.
  18. NorthernNomad

I Agree, the problem is a DHD is it just makes a unit that would otherwise be non-hackable, vulnerable to hacking.

Now if they gave a DHD or WHD to a TAG or HI, that would actually be interesting. It would trade greatly enhanced protection vs Claw programs for vulnerability to Sword programs though, so even then it might not be worth it.

#18 NorthernNomad, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
  19. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

I was pointing out the flaw in a HD+ not DHD. Most DHDs still in the game are rocking six sense and are available in factions with limited hacking networks.

20. Nemo No Name

Nemo No Name Aleph Cultural Atache

I don't think they play fast and loose, I think they don't play the same game at all.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation