1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lunokhod. Love it or hate it?

Discussion in 'Nomads' started by csjarrat, May 5, 2019.

?

How often do you use the lunokhod?

1. Every game

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. Most games

12 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Every now and then

16 vote(s)
    41.0%
  4. When I realise how long it's been since it last got used

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. Mine's never left the shelf/blister/store

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. csjarrat

csjarrat Well-Known Member

Just returning to nomads after a long hiatus and picking up models I haven't yet bought. I totally overlooked the lunukhod ages back in favour of the tsyklon but I can see one being great, especially in Tunguska as they're lighter on board control than others.
    How often are yours seeing use?

2. Civilized Barbarian

Civilized Barbarian Praxis' Lead R&D Janitor

I bring the Lunokhod to defend an objective near my DZ or defend a backline LT while most of my list pushes up the board. CrazyKoalas, repeater, shotgun, and flame thrower/glue make for one hell of a defender.

I've read some people saying they make great turn 3 hunters/flankers too but I haven't tried that.

dexterv, Robock and csjarrat like this.
  3. Pander22

Pander22 Well-Known Member

I can never seem to fit one into a list after i have everything I need or want it. Its got alot of versatility but I dont think it has the the burst or mods to keep a 1 wound model safe. Makes a really good deterrent tho.

csjarrat and ZlaKhon like this.
  4. csjarrat

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, it's good to hold a chunk of DZ and it's even more lethal with B2 ARO supportware loaded.

5. helsbecter

helsbecter Ultrademocratic subSenator, #dominion Module

I've been running one a ton as Bakunin because Koalas are an effective way to shut down serious AD threats. I'm finding that if there's no AD, it's kind of overkill - the Lunokhod defends so well that it takes assassination/invasion totally off the table. I'm thinking of dialing it back to two morlocks on the grounds that I shouldn't make strategic decisions for my opponent.

inane.imp and csjarrat like this.
  6. Elric of Grans

Elric of Grans Well-Known Member

I do not think it has ever achieved anything for me, but I practically always use a Lunokhod. You get a lot for your points, and I always feel like it provides tactical options, it is just my personal failings that see it flop.

7. Kiwi Steve

Kiwi Steve Well-Known Member

When I run them I'm rarely disappointed but usually find there's other units I would rather spend my points on, or which better suit my play style.

8. Hachiman Taro

Hachiman Taro Inverted gadfly

It's better this ITS season bc it can defend nicely against buffed AD I think. It usually just defends for me, and I often think about putting koalas in standby and reloading. But rarely do so. Armoury missions its quite good for I reckon, both clearing out with templates and standing at the door defenging esp with an engineer.

9. daszul

daszul Well-Known Member

Yeah, and the Shotgun/Flammer are usually a similar range to AD/skirmishers/Warbands that invade your DZ, so no range advantage.
    I usually prefer a Tsyklon - with X-Visor and 360° you can cover both board edges from the center, and a Tsyklon is a really nice attack piece as well - the Lunokhold has only short range weapons (Akrylat is only two shots...), so isn't that great for that.

10. csjarrat

I think he meant with the CK and the flamer. If your opponent knows he's got several short skills of dodging CKs first before piece trading against a HF, it's not necessarily worthy of the order investment to try a Rambo into the DZ

Civilized Barbarian likes this.
  11. csjarrat

Yeah I can see the minesweeper being useful here too if opponent has mined the room. Nicking his mines would be brilliantly insulting lol

12. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

It's really nice against Speculos with Mines too. You can deploy them to back one into a corner, use the Koalas to safely trigger the mine without losing anyone, they obviously get the HFT so they can always just burn them if they're revealed, and if they attack you then the Koalas can take them out too. Fidays and Oniwabans as well.

csjarrat likes this.
  13. neostrider

neostrider Well-Known Member

I'm primarily bakunin, and the luno doesn't help me with my #1 problem: long range. So I end up adding it towards the end maybe if the rest of my list compliments it enough.

It's a better reactive turn piece than active. Once or twice my chimera smoked a path and the luno too advantage of her dust. Still died pretty sadly from a long range shot.

Tsyklon just never feels outplayed. Even my opponents best tactics and I still roll 2 dice needing 6s. For that reason the luno rarely hits my list

14. Hachiman Taro

Hachiman Taro Inverted gadfly

Together with a Taskmaster in Bakunin it can cover a lot of your dep zone with Koalas for area defence going second. That is like 1/4 of your list tho. I really hope they update Bak so Taskmasters can go into some kind of link soon. Be a lot easier to swallow that way.

15. helsbecter

helsbecter Ultrademocratic subSenator, #dominion Module

I've never gotten the glue to work. Anything I'd want to glue generally has the guts to murder me back. I favor the HFT, but if I need a point I don't hesitate to trim it there... like I said, nobody comes knocking against the Lunokhod.

I'm going to fool around with additional Morlocks in local games but I plan on bringing it to the big tournament in my area next month. I'm too afraid of AD to not have the koalas.

16. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

It's one of those things that with really nice placement can be not worth bringing a long range gun over to deal with.

17. Click2kill

Click2kill Well-Known Member

Lunokhods are great if you have a way to support them getting up the board.

18. McNamara

McNamara Merc Rep

I think the issue is that a Zero and a Morlock cost the same and give you similar utility, plus some thing extra.

In a LI list the Lunokhod can fill spots better I feel, but as soon as you have 2 groups you can always fall back on the Zero and Morlock.

inane.imp likes this.
  19. Ignovus

Ignovus Logistics Division
    Warcor

I thought equipment wouldn't activate other equipment, or is that an old ruling that no longer applies?

::edit:: Huh, apparently they do. I must have been remembering a pre-HSN3 ruling.

#19 Ignovus, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
  20. Tristan228

Tristan228 Bakunin's best Morlock trainer
    Warcor

If I want Koalas I take the Taskmaster who also brings a big teardrop template.
    The Lunokhod was my first remote for Infinity though and back then in 2014 I played it in a few games. But since then... I think maybe once and I never missed it.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation