1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tohaa Feelings

Discussion in 'Tohaa' started by Duront, Mar 29, 2019.

1. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

I mean, about a third won't see play in Spiral Corps either...

ChoTimberwolf likes this.
  2. nehemiah

nehemiah Well-Known Member

I disagree. The only thing not particularity interesting in Tohaa from the Spiral box are the Reex.

I am confident we will see reinforcements once the gate is repaired, (though that could be a bit since Spiral agents keep sabotaging it)

RobertShepherd and melkiach like this.
  3. ChoTimberwolf

ChoTimberwolf Artichoken Friend

Reex I wont play and thats what two units in the box? Draal I only need one not two, clipsos is ok but I already got two so notbreally needed so four units from the standard box plus the paper house stuff that I could do without.
    Edit: i checked its three reex so with the draal and the clipsos five units that will never see the table. Thats for me not worth the 90 bucks it costs so I will see thar I get some blisters or second hand single pieces.

#83 ChoTimberwolf, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    xagroth likes this.
  4. meikyoushisui

It's 3 Reex and 1 Kiel-San that I really don't think will ever see table, so that's still more than a third of the box...

5. nehemiah

nehemiah Well-Known Member

I do not know. That Kiel-San looks like a pretty great unit to me. It is not a must have unit, or appropriate for every mission set, but seems like a lot of fun.

Though, if one is not really excited for 2/5ths to 1/2 of the units in the box, I can totally see not buying it.

ChoTimberwolf, DustGod and melkiach like this.
  6. ChoTimberwolf

Kiel is fun and not really bad, weapon choices at all ranges makes him a pretty cool solo piece. I played him in frostbyte and it was a decent piece

RobertShepherd and nehemiah like this.
  7. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

Did anyone else see the ITS stats article? It was on the main site this morning but I can't find it now (??). It showed Tohaa as the 2nd most played faction. with similar numbers to Russia, Nomads and someone else all vying for the second spot after JSA.

Found it very interesting that such a popular faction would be getting the French treatment.

8. meikyoushisui

It's either the most played or least played, depending on how you split it. When you take the totals of each vanilla and its sectorials, Tohaa is the least popular and has been the least popular for years, garnering less than half of the top factions playercount in ITS8 and ITS9. If you instead compare it to only vanillas, it's the most popular vanilla (due at least somewhat to the lack of sectorials to split its userbase.)

The other big reason it might be revisited is that CB had really baked themselves into a design corner with it. The most three picked units were Kaeltar, Makaul, and Sukeul, and even with the release of Spiral Corps I really see no reason for that to change. The "ideal" way to play Tohaa still involves about 200 points of your list never changing significantly, though you might include one Krriigel now.

xagroth, WiT?, Hecaton and 3 others like this.
  9. melkiach

melkiach PheroBoosted

I also want to include Draal in every list :D

ChoTimberwolf and Cothel like this.
  10. ChoTimberwolf

I actually prefer draal over kriigel. Kriigel is intresting but feels weird to use for me.

11. Romulas

Romulas Active Member

:) my book and spiral box are finally in from pre order, i hate that the distributors are ass backward slow in western Canada (ordered through my FLAGs)... but looking forward to the new minis, and even have a couple more spiral blisters on the way :D (sorry guys, i'm a 'the glass still has something in it' type person)
    -Rom

ChoTimberwolf and Cothel like this.
  12. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Taagma will show up on and off just to fuck with people trying to use strategic command tokens against you. Technically, anyway I suppose. Good chance the actual Taagma doesn't come out of impersonation (the carry case) for possibly the entire game just hiding in a back link somewhere.

Kuiitan imposters are highly useful on specific missions, they can secure 5pts on the first order of turn 1 on some of them. Even if you don't regularly use them having access to multiple models (including a pseudo 2 wound one) that can deploy right next to your deployment zone is a threat and forces your opponent to deploy extremely cautiously regardless of whether or not you brought one. Making intermittent use to keep the fear fresh is valuable.

#92 Triumph, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  13. OrderMonkey

OrderMonkey Well-Known Member

Giving this thread a little push to the top in order to hear how you guys feel about the knew stuff after you've had some time playing with it.

The Symbiomate nerf has not effected me in a negative way at all thus far, though the knew total immunity saved me from HRL crits twice already. I kinda like it.

Also, there are some knew profiles that ar just bonkers. If you've read my opinion on the new Draal Saboteurs in the respecting thread, you probably know already that I absolutely love the unit.
    In retrospect, all the negativity about Tohaa being dead after those new “pseudo additions“ to the army seem pretty loose.

I also barely leave home without the new Kriigel Agent, who brings tons of utility for only 24 points.

How I feel about Tohaa? Awesome!

Also, there's still plenty of complaints about Tohaa being OP in my local meta.

RobertShepherd likes this.
  14. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

On one hand, the future of Tohaa looks grim after the discontinue of so many products. It's a pity that the first Tohaa Sectorial is not a Tohaa Sectorial, but a NA2 Sectorial despite having mostly Tohaa units. But it makes sense if you consider it from a business perspective: if you are going to discontinue the Faction, release the new Tohaa in other place so they are not affected when you definetely retire the vanilla Tohaa Faction. And if you read the booklet included in the Spiral Corps box, looks like the Triunvirate is still actively sabotaging the Daedalus Gate so it remains closed... no Vanilla Tohaa in the near future.

On the other hand, now it's really fun playing with Tohaa and testing the new shinies, despite half of them being nearly useless in Vanilla Tohaa.

Golem2God, ChoTimberwolf and Cothel like this.
  15. Cothel

Cothel Well-Known Member

Things I am happy with:

• The Storyline with the Tohaa.
    • Spiral Corps as an NA2 army (this was the right call due to the story of this Army).
    • Many new units for Tohaa despite a couple of them sucking. It's still new toys!

Things I am not happy with:

• Old Tohaa miniatures being discontinued with nothing to replace them.
    • No real way for new players to get into Tohaa. It's just Spiral Corps now.
    • Spiral Corps being NA2 will have a negative effect on Tohaa's ability to do things in Global Campaigns.

16. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

@Abrilete @Cothel I agree with your statements. The Tohaa as a faction seems to be on life-support with the possibility of dying or being revived. At this current time it looks like the Triumvirate are going to be the face of the species until God knows when. "Helping" humanity against the Combined Forces while focusing on being "dug in" in the Human Sphere by being irreplaceable in the war effort. It wouldn't surprise me if the Tohaa Empire falls or becomes in danger of collapsing leaving the Tohaa of the Human Sphere the main body of free Tohaa against the Combined Army.

17. Wombat85

Wombat85 Well-Known Member

I just got spiral and excited to paint them. At the same time the way things have been over the last 18 months has killed the game for me in a lot of ways. Truly wish I had never picked up tohaa, maybe if I had stayed Haqq it all would have passed me by.

melkiach likes this.
  18. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

I've been playing a lot of combined army since Daedelus dropped trying to test all the new shas stuff, but I've been finding my lists don't have many middle gears between 'Sheshkiin kills the Marvel Universe' and just eating all the dirt in the world. It's made me long for the consistency of eclipse and symbiomates, so I'm cracking the Tohaa back out again this evening. Looking forward to trying out a Draal + Makaul + Makaul team as an assault triad, I have high hopes for it.

Plenty of further experimentation to follow after that, Borings has sold me on kriigels so they'll be next cab off the rank.

melkiach and Golem2God like this.
  19. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

Had two games with the Draal + Makaul + Makaul triad last night, against Onyx, both in Armory. First one it cracked them open like an egg, second one they put everything into stopping it and I hit both a Noctifer and E-Drone networks but managed to pull them back and set up a defensive position while I dealt with the revealed ARO elements.

The marksman rifle offered a lot of value, but it's very expensive.

wendigo, Golem2God and ChoTimberwolf like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation