1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chromedog's log of terrain and stuff.

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by chromedog, Oct 26, 2018.

1. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Miniature scenery do sets of mdf widgets to spruce up the plainer mdf terrain as well as vending machines/trash dumpsters.
    KoD (Knights of Dice) also do stuff for tarting up terrain (rooftop scatter and so on).
    I think Jackal designs also does some stuff.
    Also battlekiwi in New Zealand does some neat stuff, too - including light up acrylic "holo trees".

#41 chromedog, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    jherazob and System_Override like this.
  2. System_Override

Thanks a lot! Also I really like what you are doing with your terrain. Since I am mostly playing JSA these days I’m really looking forward to seeing your dojo

chromedog and jherazob like this.
  3. chromedog

The dojo is on hold atm. I need to pre-paint the timber framing members (going with the usual red, because the roofing is black and the white other panels goes with my normal JSA paint scheme anyway.) before assembly and I've got to go hunt down a can of red spray for that (but there's a few other structures that will also benefit from this so I might as well do all of them together).

So as I was going through my stuff I found a bag of unused, leftover mantic Deadzone 3x3" terrain tiles and a bunch of mdf picture frames (they're hexagonal) that I'd bought at the craft section of a haberdashers store. They appear to be out of stock nowadays, so these are all I have until I can get some more hexes lasercut (or something).
    In one of those happy accident things, the sides on the frames are a touch OVER 3". So I glued a few pieces together to see how they might look.
    The future is supposed to be hexagons, after all. They're about 6" across, corner to corner.
    [​IMG]

With a roof, made from recycled leftovers of a long-dead terrain project (Once upon a time, I had a pile of the old "Hexagon" terrain kits, and I'd built enough of it to make an infinity "refinery" table. Unfortunately, the box it was in got backed over by my brother-in-law's 4wd, and only scattered bits were left.).
    [​IMG]

There are 4 of these hexagonal buildings now. Only three in the photo, because the glue is still drying on the last one.
    [​IMG]

I've got some leftover large square panels from those hexagon sets to cover the "X" braced panels - yes, the DZ stuff is a nice hard styrene, but it's more suited to Killzone or DZ or necromunda than infinity (too many holes) so I'm covering them up.

I've found a supplier for foamed pvc sheet a couple of suburbs away, so I'll be getting a couple of sheets of 3mm stuff in the near future. I did manage to make a card template from one of the picture frames before I used them all (I only had 4 of them) and I've got enough of the DZ tiles to do another [edit: found more panels. Can do another 4). That's a fair chunk of real estate.

#43 chromedog, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I've got lots of the detail bits for mantic terrain left, it's very tempting at its price point in the UK and these type of builds really showcase it's strengths, inspiring stuff!

chromedog likes this.
  5. chromedog

When I'm stuck on a project, I usually just let inspiration strike me.
    It really was just a case of "Hmm. These are ... I wonder if ..." and not overthinking it too much. :D

I got my DZ bits from Deltakilo (the local warcor) when he did a biggish buy of the stuff a couple of years back. I just wasn't overly fond of the boxy nature of the constructions shown for the sets, so they were just waiting for that bolt out of the blue.

6. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Serendipity strikes again!

jherazob and chromedog like this.
  7. chromedog

So, we have some progress on the Dojo front.

I started construction of the plastcraft fukei building, then realised that the platform it came with was rather underwhelming (and had zero detailing on it) and was nowhere near as sturdy as I'd want it to be. Enter the "tech Deck" platform I've had for 6-7 years and have never had a use for (it's got a timber pattern on it, and about 12mm tall, it's also large enough to put that building on it.

One building wasn't going to be enough, so I copied some of the parts as best I could onto 1.5mm plasticard. The bag that it came out of (tournament 2nd hand stall lot) also had some themed movement trays with the chrysanthemum (Edit: alternatively, it could be a lotus flower. What do I know, I'm a cyberpunk not a gardener) logo on them and I thought they'd make a nice detail for one wall of the buildings (they were made from 2mm foamed pvc like these buildings).
    So with those pieces, 2 end sections made from plasticard and a pile of foamed pvc sheet cut into strips, I set about putting both together. I still have to add some red timber strutwork to the chryssie sides and fit the remaining roof pieces and sliding door for the open side (which is why the roof section has been left off).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There will be a third building to join these in the next couple of weeks - two will be based on 3mm mdf for structural rigidity. I have walls to make the compound and a torii arch or three to use as well as a couple of fake bonsai trees to add to the setting.

#47 chromedog, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    timberfox, Errhile, Usashi and 4 others like this.
  8. chromedog

Building 1 almost finished. Have to touch up the rails and do the steps but that's about it.

[​IMG] Daiyokai and Shikami patrol the eastern flank of the building (the platform is large enough to permit a 40mm base to fit here.
    [​IMG] Domaru/Tanko fireteam have taken over patrol shift. The front/back is really only wide enough for 25mm bases. I'll be playing the fences as providing partial cover.

[​IMG] Back of the building detail.

timberfox, Koin-Koin, Errhile and 4 others like this.
  9. chromedog

After putting these two buildings, allowing space for the third one, a couple of bonsai trees (fake), some walls to enclose it and a torii arch together I realised how much space this little dojo will take up. A tad over 22"x22" if I leave adequate space inside the compound. Anything smaller, and it's just cramped and does little more than just form a roadblock. that you have to go around. Almost a quarter of the table surface. Wow ... that escalated just a tad.

[​IMG]

#49 chromedog, Mar 4, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  10. chromedog

Got the Torii arch done up.
    [​IMG]

As well as some of those cheap little solar garden lights.
    [​IMG]

it's a tad windy here today to paint the strutwork for the third building (incoming storm).

11. chromedog

Managed to do some work on another piece (I've got 3-4 terrain pieces on the go at a time - the weather just isn't amenable to large scale painting atm - so I shuffle between them as needed. This is part of a weapon's dealer's stall from my desert outpost table. " 'Honest' Abe's pre-owned firepower bazaar ". I've done up a few tables with an assortment of weapons assembled over the years. I've got a selection of Infinity weapon sprues hiding somewhere as well. Still in their blisters (random weapon sprues from tourney packs from years gone by). There's also a wrecked Ramhorn series TAG that will be in this little vignette. (I'm using the wrecked "Scarface" from the bootleg box).

[​IMG]
    Someone looted the corpse of a ninja Killer Hacker (tac bow, quiver and sword on the counter at the window).

[​IMG]
    I assembled the tables of weapons. All are sold "as is" and no refunds will be offered. Caveat very Emptor.
    [​IMG]

Errhile, timberfox, Section9 and 5 others like this.
  12. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

There's a Borderland feel out there.

13. chromedog

If there is, it's completely coincidental as I've never played that game. The same goes for any other video-game-inspired "feels" that other people get about my stuff. I'm just NOT that kind of gamer. I got into miniatures because it lets me use my "maker" skillset. It's all about the models and the terrain (which is why I suck at the game, I just don't care enough about it to want to "git gud". It's not my fault if those (video)games riff on the same concepts that I get from other sources, mostly movies and artist group type pages/sites.

As for this, I had a pile of leftover weapons from several games in my bits box and wanted them to be on something. It was going to be this or the bin, frankly.

jherazob and Koin-Koin like this.
  14. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Love it!

We won't discuss how large my bits boxes are. Yes, plural, since I segregate by game system (and by faction inside systems). OCD much?

Errhile, jherazob and chromedog like this.
  15. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

I didn't want to sound critical at all, just it reminds me of the Borderland loot crates and the front sign shared the same kind of aesthetic.
    I totally agree with you about the common inspiration pot we all share that will end to similar creation.
    Your stuff is great and you don't have to defend it, it do it very well by itself.
    I apologize if my previous post seems bad in any way to you.

16. chromedog

@Section9: My bits boxes get purged every so often. I give stuff away that I'm not likely to use again. I once had a 55l tub filled with compartment trays of bits sorted by type. Now I'm down to one tray.

One thing that Shipping containers ALL have, is a logo showing who owns or owned it. I'm in the process of doing that to my collection, but figured no better place to start than the one used for the weapons dealer's converted trade stall. I'll be matching some logos to container colours (Like orange being used for my Hanjin ones). There'll be a bunch of logos from SF movies and TV shows as well. You won't see an "Aperture" logo (You might see an "Umbrella", though, because I've at least seen one of the movies).
    [​IMG]

I figure some of you might recognise this logo.

mbdeyes, Errhile, timberfox and 3 others like this.
  17. chromedog

So, Those pods have had more work done to them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As part of the prep for a 100 player (ish) event in a bit over a month, I'm also refurbishing/repainting some old and abused 40k terrain that I've had for years.
    It's going into a mountainous "Handwavium" mining settlement table along with those hex-pods.
    [​IMG]

Oh, and some interior scatter terrain (or outdoors - people toss old sofas out into back alleys where they get scrounged by the less well-to-do.
    Carved/shaped from 3mm epvc sheet. That's a 25x50 (1"x2" cavalry base the couch is on).
    [​IMG]

Wizzy, Grathak, Usashi and 3 others like this.
  18. chromedog

So, that warmill foodbooth that I'd lost the acrylic sign for?
    Yeah, I found it.

Which meant, making a new fastfood fine dining establishment to go with it. I've been doing a bit of stuff using 3mm epvc (Palight) sheeting, so I thought I'd try my hand at making one similar in style to the warmill one (I goofed on the measurements - it's about an inch taller and a slightly larger footprint, but I wanted it to be able to hide TAGs behind it). Most of my other terrain uses a 70mm level height, though, so it fits in.

[​IMG]
    The acrylic sign was given a wash of blue ink, then carefully wiped back with a rag dipped in spirits, leaving only the ink left in the engraving.
    [​IMG]

and because bare walls are boring, I added ducting for the greasy food smell extraction. Rooftop fan is a squeezable yoghurt tube cap.
    [​IMG]

Section9, xagroth, Koin-Koin and 3 others like this.
  19. Melchior

Melchior Well-Known Member

I had to smile as you wrote Footprint and I looked what you used to stabilise the terrain for the picture :joy:

chromedog and jherazob like this.
  20. chromedog

Because it was still a little "naked", I added some street flavouring to it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Red Harvest, Berjiz, Melchior and 3 others like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation