1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maxing Crazy Koalas

Discussion in 'Nomads' started by Jason839, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Jason839

Jason839 Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever attempted a list like this where they threw in every unit with Crazy Koalas they could? This is the list I've theory crafted and It looks like a pain to deal with. Im thinking in scenarios like frontline where you just cover the board in koalas and mines and force the opponent to try to deal with it all. I like the idea, but its definitely a skew list for sure.

Death by Bear Hugs
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]10
    INTERVENTOR Hacker Lieutenant (Hacking Device Plus) Combi Rifle, 1 FastPanda / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 27)
    TASKMASTER Red Fury, Pulzar, CrazyKoalas + TinBot A (Deflector L1) / Heavy Pistol, DA CCW. (1 | 53)
    TASKMASTER Heavy Rocket Launcher, Light Shotgun, CrazyKoalas / Heavy Pistol, DA CCW. (2 | 47)
    LUNOKHOD Heavy Shotgun, Heavy Flamethrower, D-Charges, CrazyKoalas (2) / Electric Pulse. (0 | 25)
    LUNOKHOD Heavy Shotgun, Akrylat-Kanone, D-Charges, CrazyKoalas (2) / Electric Pulse. (0 | 24)
    VERTIGO ZOND Smart Missile Launcher / Electric Pulse. (1.5 | 18)
    MORAN (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle, CrazyKoalas (2) / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 22)
    MORAN (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle, CrazyKoalas (2) / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 22)
    ZERO (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 19)
    ZERO (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 19)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]1
    HECKLER Hacker (Killer Hacking Device) Combi Rifle, Cybermines / Assault Pistol, Knife. (0 | 24)

6 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

2. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

People have tried it. They have diminishing returns because of setting off multiple at once with something like a g:servant. I don't know how well it's worked.

inane.imp, jfunkd, Jason839 and 3 others like this.
  3. csjarrat

csjarrat Well-Known Member

Yeah, anyone with holoechos, g:servants etc are gonna have a field day ruining your skew list.
    Someone might also use minesweeper skill for the first time since early n2 lol

4. Jason839

Lol I use it. Minesweeper is great. That little 8 pt baggage bot that has it makes it in a lot of my normal lists.

helsbecter and csjarrat like this.
  5. Arkhos94

Arkhos94 Well-Known Member

a mix of mine and crazy koala would also likely work better. Crazy koala are good but they don't work against camo marker and everyone know where they are

Jason839 likes this.
  6. csjarrat

csjarrat Well-Known Member

I knew someone in the world would use it, glad to have found you lol

Jason839 likes this.
  7. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to strat Nomads just for this type of list. Except I figure it's more efficient to have baggage in the list. First drop off the koallas then use baggage to refill them.

Jason839 likes this.
  8. Arkhos94

Arkhos94 Well-Known Member

In theory, it's good. In practice, not so much because you will loose more order doing it than your opponent will.

You will need 2 orders to put your crazy 15 cm away from you (1 for move + stand by and one to refill), 3 if you want to go farther than that

Your opponent on the other side will make the crazy koala go boom for one single order with usually 65/75% chance of not taking any damages (55-65% chance of passing the dodge for most unit and around 25% chance of survival if failing with ARM 0)

Jason839 likes this.
  9. Jason839

I’m the reason why local aleph players can’t take Netrods anymore. I steal it with minesweeper and take the order. Lol

csjarrat likes this.
  10. MindwormGames

MindwormGames Well-Known Member

For me, I don't have too many problems with multiple koalas going off at the same time. They move fast and you have a lot of latitude with your ZoC.

You can also Move+Standby to put your Koalas really far apart, because you don't check coherency until the end of the Order. So you can move your Koalas wildly out of your ZoC and then put them on Standby.

My bigger problem with CrazyKoalas is that they are very easy to circumvent with a simple Dodge roll.

CrazyKoalas work best, in my opinion, as a distraction to your opponent. A skilled, experienced player won't be as affected by this, but you are giving your opponent another 'thing' to remember.

"Wait, where was that Koala?"

"You had some Koalas, right?"

"If I move that way I'll need to deal with that Koala."

They are great for inducing opponents to burn an Order shooting them off the table, or wasting Orders sending in sacrificial models to deal with them.

Now, you are spending your own Orders to put your Koalas on Standby, usually, but you can Coordinate a Move+Standby Order.

What is interesting about that list is that it really isn't a 'skew' list at all. Take away the CrazyKoalas and it is still a solid, viable list.

Personally, I would drop the Vertigo Zond and the Heckler to put in Transducers and Morlocks and change the Zeros to Hackers. But there's plenty of killing and button pushing in this list. Heck, I think I might give this list a try, or something similar to it.

That many Koalas on the table is a psychological attack on your opponent that is honestly pretty incidental to the way these units will otherwise be performing on the table.

I have two rules with Koalas:

1: Put them on Standby Turn 1

2: Put them more than a Short Move skill apart

If you do that, your Koalas will always be a threat (and SUPER easy to forget about because your 'handler' model is either dead or across the table doing something else), and your opponent will have to sacrifice their Dodge Skill to take out multiple Koalas in one Order.

Sure, a G:Servant can do that and just die. But in practice it doesn't happen very often and usually winds up being Order-intensive as the Servant tends to be somewhere else doing something else.

#10 MindwormGames, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    jimbo slice likes this.
  11. neostrider

neostrider Well-Known Member

What happens if you minesweeper a koala outside Zoc? Is it live or disconnected? Can you reconnect to it?

12. helsbecter

helsbecter Ultrademocratic subSenator, #dominion Module

I run 1-2 minesweepers in every list. It's basically free, the guys who have it are good on any roster, and that one game in ten where the opportunity pops up it's always golden

13. McNamara

McNamara Merc Rep

And never forget the Lunokhod is a minesweeper too! ;)
    Maybe it's even the best in the game with Climbing Plus and the 6-4 MOV.

14. wendigo

wendigo Nomad Artichoke

If you minesweep a koala out of ZoC, it becomes disconnected. The disconnection rules state:
    Code:
    Cancellation
    If this state has been caused by breaking Coherency with the Controller, then it will be automatically cancelled at the end of an Order in which the Disconnected trooper is again in Coherency with its Controller.
    So on the end of the order you walk into ZoC of the stolen koala, disconnected is cancelled and it becomes active and connected to its new controller.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation