1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoke on auxbots the would be fine

Discussion in 'PanOceania' started by Superfluid, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Lieutenant

Lieutenant PanOceanic Dabbler

The whole idea of granting a smoke unit to an army for the purpose of teaming it with MSV is so gimmicky. It’s not clever cool or fresh to say “Ooo Smoke... MSV... ” And I feel like that’s really the only reason that us PanO players really care about smoke. In real battle smoke isn’t often paired with goggles. It’s not an offensive tool. It’s for movement. I prefer to keep Infinity that way, and leave the MSV + Smoke “combo” (if you can even call it a combo, it’s so obvious) to a few units and factions. Or to every action and unit. I don’t really care. But PanO doesn’t need it. It’s not original, it’s not flashy or cool, and smoke+MSV is not at all a creative duo. With that in mind, being the hyper power with all of the best tools, I think PanO should have more units with eclipse grenades and nimbus plus grenades. It makes sense that we would. Plus it takes much much more finesse and tactical awareness to use nimbus and eclipse grenades to your offensive advantage than it does to say “Smoke + MSV what a cool combo!”.

2. Skoll

Skoll Well-Known Member

I could care less about msv + smoke. I play MO which is the pano sectorial with the lower access to msv 2 and the one that pays most for cqb . Id have been more than happy with eclipse, and most people here have echoed the sentiment that its fine if pano cant get regular smoke but we should at least get eclipse even if it takes a 30-40 point platform to deliver it.

We arent asking for 13 point heavy flame thrower warbands with eclipse smoke. We just said put it on the bloody awful teuton to give him a purpose

3. Lieutenant

Lieutenant PanOceanic Dabbler

I guess that was more of a response to the opening post and the first few comments.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  4. Superfluid

Superfluid Welcome to Svalarheima

What an approrpiate day to do so #brexit

Judge Dredd and eciu like this.
  5. yoink101

yoink101 Chandra SpecOps Complaint Department

That’s what the camo state is for. You don’t stand up with a 68 point model against that Fireteam.

6. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Well-Known Member
    Warcor

The 6-4 super jump freak is pretty hard to hide from even prone on a roof

7. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

You know, the most recent FAQ is the size of the N2 change document (the printout of entire paragraphs with the N2 changes in them).

That's why I want Eclipse, not standard Smoke.

MO needs to be able to close.

NCA could use something, too.

Tariq has a 34% chance of critting when he's by himself.

8. Toalpaz

Toalpaz Well-Known Member

That's what the Aux HFT bot is for.

For Tariq in MO I think the only real answers you have are to:
    A) Not leave out ARO pieces because they will be murdered.
    B) Attack from outside of 24 if he's in suppressive fire.
    C) Land a HTF from a Aux Bot.
    D) If he isn't in suppressive fire shoot him with anything.

They aren't bad answers, a lot of armies basically have to deal with super strong attack pieces like this. You basically have to rely on Order Sergeant and Peacekeeper's tool kits for taking him out. The trick is doing it before you lose orders jeopardizing whether you can do the ITS objectives.

I don't think MO needs eclipse smoke but it definitely would be a nice thing to have. It would really throw us a curve ball if CB put it on the Teutonic Knights.

yoink101 likes this.
  9. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

The problem with Fatality L2 is that even if it's a target at -9, which would normally be fairly safe as an ARO piece, Fat2 has a 34% chance to win that firefight.

And Fat2 seems to be spreading.

10. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Do that Tarik can just use his 12 orders to kill your whole link and everything nearby ?

11. Toalpaz

Toalpaz Well-Known Member

No, the problem we're talking about is whether MO needs smoke or not. Smoke will not help you react against Tarik because he will still probably murder you with Fat lv 2 and his spitfire. I pointed out that in your active turn you have a good chance of taking him out provided you build a balanced list that can dislodge monsters like that in suppressive fire. Because there are other ways of taking him out, you probably don't need smoke in the active turn to sneak around him.

If you want to have a discussion about why Fat lv 2 is bad you might as well start another topic, because it looks like it's a derailment in general and isn't addressing the question of how useful smoke would be in MO.

No, because it would cost him like 4 orders to move up, out of his possible 8-9 orders on the first turn, provided you deployed properly and hid all of your link team behind a wall. That also assumes that you don't have Aux HFT's, 5 man link team shotguns covering corners, or TO markers in the midfield which should actually give him a run for his money and cause Tarik to focus on other objectives.

In the first turn there are not enough orders to run up and kill your whole link team, you will have enough time to attack him at least once as long as you build a decent list and recognize that you will probably not win an ARO. Try deploying mines or something.

12. Skoll

Skoll Well-Known Member

To be fair no army needs anything in this game. They all have things that are nice to have, eclipse smoke is something that would directly compliment the fighting style of MO and helps it achieve mid range firefights specially since we've basically been told to migrate away from hospitaller hmg link reliance.

yoink101, kanluwen and Superfluid like this.
  13. Daemon of Razgriz

Daemon of Razgriz Ninja sniper

Honestly. I'd just say to give infiltration Koni eclipse grenades. All of a sudden, MO has eclipse. It's on a more limited profile to not spam if that's what CB is afraid of. And it boosts Koni to a point where a lot of people would take him and consider him incredibly viable. PH 12 infiltration eclipse. Lovely.

But yes. Give the damn grenades to Tuetons!

Superfluid likes this.
  14. kanluwen

kanluwen Well-Known Member

Yup. There's no real point in speculating or wishlisting at this point. Corvus Belli is inflexible with their "vision", except when something gives them a hard-on for their new project.

Frankly, this is why I keep banging on about Military Orders being best served by getting split off into a NA2 faction.

Until they aren't a "vanilla" faction, they'll have that millstone around their neck.
    VIRD is looking damn good. I remain unconvinced for everyone else.

Superfluid likes this.
  15. kanluwen

kanluwen Well-Known Member

Know what else has a limited profile?

Machinists and Trauma Docs.
    Oh yeah. Machinists and Trauma Docs with Smoke...

Superfluid likes this.
  16. yoink101

...but. The Swiss guard is hidden, then should always be in a token state after that. On your reactive turn. Tarik doesn’t have sensor.

17. Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd Well-Known Member
    Warcor

If the swiss guard is hiding on a roof, hes not a big threat to tarik in its active turn as tarik should probably be hiding himself or in suppression fire. If you're in a marker state, tarik can still get to you with his maneuverability and is still Haqq wip. If I really need to reveal him, I can intuitively jam him with a mutt.

18. yoink101

Hidden deployment is a thing...

19. Click2kill

Click2kill Well-Known Member

Teutons have really solid stats for their point costs. I really can't see why they are bad. Is it just the expectation of running up and Berserking someone model in the face? Does any other faction have a stat line as such from a 30-39 pt.model?

If the other knights are just better, deal with it: run the other knights. Like in every army, some units just hold more value than others.

yoink101 and Lieutenant like this.
  20. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Am I the only one that saw "Smoke on the auxbot" and was left wondering for something to go with "fire in the ..."?

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation