1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are fireteam restrictions adding value

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by spears, Apr 10, 2019.

1. spears

spears Well-Known Member

Given the ever increasing complexity of mixed fireteams, coupled with the raw power of some of the actual fireteams in the game are the link restrictions a positive inclusion?
    If the rules were trimmed back so that all variations of Fireteam:X let units that have it form the appropriate team in much the same way Firteam:Triad works would there be any particular power issues? Even if the requirement to retain one trooper with Haris or Duo remained it seems like things would be much cleaner. Whilst I'm sure there are some oddities like the Xeodrons that might benefit overmuch are there any hidden problem teams that are realistically better than the Kazak or Kamau cores?

Hachiman Taro likes this.
  2. Balewolf

Balewolf It's all opinion

I think a Hsien HMG + 3 Kuang Shi and a CG controller should answer that question for you.

3. spears

spears Well-Known Member

Hsien doesn't have core though, unless i'm misreading some odd interaction.

Savnock likes this.
  4. FatherKnowsBest

FatherKnowsBest Red Knight of Curmudgeon

I think all of it has made me yearn for the link teams of yesteryear. It's getting to be nonsense with all this Fireteam this and Fireteam that.

Fireteam Fuck It, Coming Soon.

5. RogueJello

RogueJello Well-Known Member

Yes, because you're often still going to take multiples of something to get the link bonuses. That's a pretty serious limitation.

Also with the ability to link any 3-5 random dudes it becomes impossible to reduce a link teams effectiveness, since they can then just pull in whatever random trooper is nearby. With the current restrictions, some link teams are easier to re-enforce than others.

6. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

I agree that the more lenient restrictions are getting to the point where it's a little confusing and overly complicated. Though, with more options there is usually one or two "best" that we see over and over again, which is partially true now.
    I don't think that just tossing restrictions out the window and CB saying "do whatever you want" is a good answer, you'll quickly find everyone min-max and actually decrease link diversity.

7. Balewolf

Ah, I think I had misunderstood. You're saying that all units that have Core teams, or can join Core teams can now form Core teams with anyone else with that ability, same with Haris or Duo.

As it stands now, with a lot of the crazy link combos possible, I don't see it as being a huge issue, but I'd rather just bring fireteams back to how they used to be, with it being the base link, plus one other thing, nixing all of the wildcard options, unless it were 4 base+ wildcard, none of the 4 wildcards + base.

spears likes this.
  8. Xeurian

Xeurian Well-Known Member

Don't forget the 5 wildcard cores!

9. Janzerker

Janzerker Well-Known Member

We are almost there. The next link isn't much different than such hypothetical Hsien core of doom.

Ramah Taskforce
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

[​IMG]5
    GHULAM (NCO) Rifle + Light Grenade Launcher (Normal and Smoke Ammo.) / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 16)
    NAFFATÛN Rifle + Heavy Flamethrower / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 13)
    KHAWARIJ (Fatality L1, Multispectral Visor L2) Mk12 / Pistol, AP CCW. (0.5 | 36)

1.5 SWC | 91 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Imperial Service

[​IMG]5 [​IMG]3
    CELESTIAL GUARD (Kuang Shi Control Device) Combi Rifle + Light Smoke Grenade Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 13)
    KUANG SHI Chain Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 5)
    HSIEN HMG, Nanopulser / Pistol, AP CCW. (2 | 61)

2.5 SWC | 89 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Savnock and Hecaton like this.
  10. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

This my favorite crazy one. I'd never do it but you can.

Dahshat Company
    [​IMG]5
    BOUNTY HUNTER Submachine Gun, Akrylat-Kanone / Breaker Pistol, Knife. (0 | 12)
    RUI SHI Spitfire / Electric Pulse. (1.5 | 20)
    1.5 SWC | 68 Points
    Open in Infinity Army

11. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

That link is insane and kind of disappointing to see -.-;;

12. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

Removing restrictions would dilute the hell out of Tohaa's flavor (which is already been diluted a lot) but also would create some very high imbalances between armies with powerful shooters who require large core investment and armies who don't have those types of units.

It's clear based on the restrictions on Triad'ing in Tohaa for new Spiral Corps that CB still isn't okay with the idea of mixing fireteams to the extent of the OP.

13. Balewolf

At least I finally have a reason to run my Naffatun, I guess?

14. Papa Bey

Papa Bey Clueless Wonder. Still.

15. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

For those not aware, that's a "Zuyong" Core.

Superfluid, Phlyk, toadchild and 3 others like this.
  16. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

I'd do it in an instant. Hitting on 18s anywhere within 24 inches and discovering on 16s up to 32 inches? Yes please.

17. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

Thanks. I probably should have mentioned that.

The one thing that irks me is that I've already felt for years that Vanilla is dying. Link teams just become more and more prevalent, powerful, useful, etc. When I was at Adepticon I meant to ask the guys running it how many were playing Vanilla compared to sectoral. Just curious about it. Other Vanilla Nomads and Haqqislam, maybe Ariadna, I think all others are left in the dust.

Oh it gets better when you mod it with Gromoz or Ghulam hacker too! Just gross!

Papa Bey and sackofowls like this.
  18. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

Didn’t Bostria make some comment about Combined Army players all having Avatars or something? Those are vanilla-only models.

19. spears

spears Well-Known Member

Bit off topic but from rumble vanilla has reasonable representation.

Attached Files:

Section9, Smiler and Abrilete like this.
  20. Nenyx

Nenyx Well-Known Member

Vanilla Aleph may also its niche, simply because it brings together two very different sectorials. But i think like you, we'll see more and more fireteams, especially mixed ones, and thus, more sectorial plays.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation