1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some characters OP/UP?

Discussion in 'Smoke & Mirrors' started by Disko King, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Disko King

Disko King Well-Known Member

I don't think everyone plays in same league. For example, I have 3/4 expansions ,and when we pick characters like 50% of them get ignored most of the time, because why would you take them ever?

For example, good father Mendoza heals like crazy. Last game I had him heal 9 wounds in turn, give 3 burning tokens to musashi, and he also did a wound if I am not mistaken. That's crazy good. Now compare him to parvati, who can heal max 5 wounds if she gets very lucky and doesn't do anything else. She is a bit more offensive, because she her attack cost 2, but also a bit more risky if she gets bad roll and defender gets good one..Mendoza doesn't even have to attack anyone in order to heal allies, give burning tokens to people around himself.

Or take for example Kozmo. Not only does he auto counter all ranged characters if he starts to deal smoke around. And he deals them so easily. He can auto kill those 2 wound characters if he puts smoke on their place and play his tactic card. You basically can't stop him to come into contact with 2-3 guys of your team(usually 2 will happen no matter what) and then start to deal everyone in btb burn tokens just like that...he can give 6-10 burn tokens easily...more or less, they will auto kill most stuff on their turn when you start rolling those dices, because there is good chance for a wound(or 2 if you are unlucky) on each roll.

Not sure about lots of those support characters, why take them? You can take bruiser and just go and punch people and kill em...if someone comes into combat with those support characters, they are dead...protect them? Okay, no problem, they will then just gang your other guy who is protecting them and kill him since it will be 2v1 scenario. After that, proceed to punch rest of your guys.

So far we see very little reason to take: Gata, Parvati, Oberon, Eclypse, Bixie, Laxmee

Auto picks/bans are Hexer, Mendoza, Kozmo

2. zlavin

zlavin Well-Known Member

The title of the topic is a question but then you just make an statement. It is your opinion

I dont agree whit you at all. That is good for the game, different people have differents opinions about characters, and what is bad or doesnt work for you is amazing for others.

der_narr likes this.
  3. Roadrunner7431

Roadrunner7431 Well-Known Member

@Disko King I would be interested in learning what scenarios you most enjoy. I would suggest that you try picking a scenario randomly and then draft characters using the Zlavin Mod from our esteemed friend and Warcor @zlavin. I think you might gain a better appreciation for the depth of this game. Of course if you are having lots of fun playing the way you are keep doing what you are doing. Having fun is the key.

csjarrat and der_narr like this.
  4. treiral

treiral Midnight poster

• Gata can :S:dazzle and then get into a scoring zone, or just keep dazzling so Hexxer, Lunah and Wild Bill are useless.
    • Parvati plays pretty offensively, as you mentioned, she also got a good 5:U: and clear all :A:burn states you put with Mendoza and Kozmo. Plus her cards to autoclear all states or entering clean from the bench. Most defense rolls are just :*::-:. If the enemy adds extra dice you might get a couple :4: in return. But that's fine, she could heal herself if she needs it.
    • I haven't played Oberon, but there are threads about him where you can read more.
    • Eclypse it's like a dark Parvati, while Parvati helps clear those states, when you play more with :S:dazzle, :H:taunt and :G:immobilize, she's invaluable at keeping those states longer, meaning characters that are useless over turns. Plus her attack isn't bad at all, :S:dazzling and :J:marking is a nice bonus. Plus, the second attack against an enemy she just :S:dazzled won't return any :4:damage, so that's also nice.
    • I haven't played much with Bixie either.
    • Laxmee support is great at giving you extra switches and nullifying your opponent abilities. This is done with the :K: focused and :I:stunned states. Because really, the chances of rolling 6-8 :A:burn tokens with Kozmo are actually PRETTY SLIM, 9-10:A: are just outright imposible in a single activation (2 attacks, target smoked); so the extra :.: comes really handy. She's crazy when combined with Musashi and Wild Bill, you can eliminate a whole team in a single activation. The same way, when she :I:stuns someone you can be sure that whoever is going to have a hard time activating their abilities.
      Plus, she can remove those :A:tokens pretty easily. And Atom is OP.
    It's true that I find certain characters more powerful than others, but knowing how to counter them and how to use them is a pretty important skill.

krotos, der_narr and Roadrunner7431 like this.
  5. Disko King

Well, I state why I think some are OP/UP(talked with friend about it and he felt the same), and would like to be given opinions from others why they are or are not etc? ;)
    Then again, I only get to play the game vs same friend over and over again. It's not very popular in my area, and another friend after a single game disliked it very much.

6. Roadrunner7431

@Disko King There is a Table Top Simulator version in Steam that is a very good opportunity and will often have the latest characters like Chemical Brothers even before the physical models are widely available. A few YouTube channels will show you good games such as Tempest Hexadome from New Zealand, Vissiorama Presents from the States and Ecos del Hexadome from Spain. Reno's Wargaming in French posted games using the new ziggurat scenarios but I have not yet watched them. The latest game from the players on Maui on Shameless Mayhem is also quite good.

Chikahiro likes this.
  7. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

And that's where you're wrong. You're comparing a combat healer to a Jack-Of-All-Trades character, who just happens to be able to heal but it isn't her primary function. Furthermore, Mendoza can't do squat for your team, if you face a brutal control team that cripples your team with Taunts and States, meanwhile Parvati is able to clear potentially unlimited amount of states in one action while having high MOV and (potentially) high Initiative for scoring.

The rest of the post seems to be about you and your friend being locked in the same meta/mindset, so you devalue other characters as "weak" when they actually just don't fit your playstyle.

8. Chikahiro

Chikahiro Well-Known Member

From my time with fighting games: some characters are overpowered/underpowered at certain levels of play. Beginners might find character X to be OP/UP, whereas an intermediate or advanced/competitive player may find the opposite.

Likewise, matchups matter. One on one comparisons are tempting, but then you have to compare them to everyone else.

What complicates that is also team composition. The way characters interact with their teammates matters a lot. You can build up on strengths, cover weaknesses, or expand your range of capabilities. Some characters might be fine on their own to a certain degree but others need protection/assistance to help them reach their full potential.

Add in Tactics...?

Ubiquity/familiarity makes a difference too. Characters that are commonly used are better understood by players. So, they'll know what to look for when you pick them on your team, have a good idea how you plan to use them, good counter picks if they can make use of that, etc.

Frankly, its what makes the game quite interesting. I know there are MOBA influences on Aristeia, but for me there's a lot reminiscent of fighting games (particular ones with team play such as Marvel Vs Capcom, Tekken Tag, King of Fighters to some degree, etc).

9. Chikahiro

Obligatory link:

It was a lot of fun, with both of us having about half our teams composed of characters we hadn't used before. Thanks to @Roadrunner7431 and his coaching/commenting over the past few games we're running a lot better/tighter than before too :)

Roadrunner7431 likes this.
  10. Disko King

Could you point up to some team compositions and their tactics, of those characters we find weaker? Which missions are best for them? So that I can test it vs friend and see how well do they fare vs team we find strong!

We might be locked in our mindset about some characters being weak, unfortunately, since there is basically no Aristeia community in our area(infinity players were not that much impressed with it, I liked it way more than I though I would, since I usually don't care about 'sports' games, thus we started it), there is little chance to see something different in action.

11. Chikahiro

Which characters are you finding weak and why?

Keeping with the fighting game analogy: some characters are easier/more straight forward, some are harder to use. As a Virtua Fighter player I like using Sarah as she's an easy character to use. I fear anyone who specializes in using Akira because he's very difficult, so if they've specialized in him, then they've put in a lot of practice.

12. Disko King

Gata, Parvati, Oberon, Eclypse, Bixie, Laxmee

Also not to keen on Dart.

13. treiral

treiral Midnight poster

Keep in mind that team composition and tactics isn't usually done in a vacuum though, you pick and counterpick from a roster of 8 before a game to react to your opponent choices. Although Mod Carano is a thing, it's not something I see often, since Mod Zlavin is usually preferred.

14. Disko King

Could you point me to those mods you are talking about? Carano and Zalvin, tried to find em , but can't seem to?

15. treiral

treiral Midnight poster

It's in the AGL rules file in the Download section of the site.

16. Roadrunner7431

The community in New Zealand is using Carano Mod to encourage new players to play in a one or two game per week league. This way they can have brand new players play with borrowed models and conceivably with the purchase of just one expansion, for example SoF, a new player can have fun without the outlay of much funds. New Zealand is a wonderful country with charming people but the shipping costs are sometimes daunting.

AdmiralJCJF and treiral like this.
  17. Chikahiro

ZLAVIN MOD
    The Starting Lineup consists of eight Characters. At the beginning of each Tournament Round, while building their Teams, Characters a player has chosen are blocked so that they’re not available for their opponents to choose.

CARANO MOD
    This Tournament Mod is not compatible with any other Mods. The Starting Lineup consists of four Characters. Players cannot change the Characters chosen for their Teams for the duration of the Tournament. However, Players may change the Character Tactics in their decks at the beginning of each Tournament Round.

18. Chikahiro

I'll think about that for a bit. I don't have Oberon yet, and only got Human Fate (Eclypse, Bixie) so I'm not familiar with them in play. I used Eclypse and Bixie last night for the first time, and my impression is they have a higher learning curve than many of the other characters I've used because they're not simple/straightforward.

Oddly, I'm not finding the Silenced state on the wiki. Is it still the same as this? https://aristeiathegame.com/blog/item/570-oberon-legendary-bahadurs

I personally find Silence both beautiful and horrifying, depending on whether or not I'm on the receiving end. If I understand that correctly, that means Oranges can be Silenced? O_o

I'm commonly told Gata is great for scoring. She gets around super fast, and that's awesome. I personally tend to use her and her mobility for intercepting ranged characters like Wild Bill and Major Lunah. She gets to them, Dazzles them, and I've dramatically reduced their usefulness for a while. Since her Misdirection isn't an attack, it doesn't trigger Maximus' displacement either. Its quite useful for an opposing Hannibal as well. So, scoring and Dazzle, and if you're in good position its not out of the question to dazzle more than one enemy along a route.

Why would YOU use her? She can help keep Mendoza alive versus high-powered ranged threats. Likewise, while he's keeping people alive in a high engagement area she can be moving to score or preparing for when you determine where the next scoring zone is.

Parvati is someone I use less frequently, but still like her. I'm fine with her offense, I like her heals, but the big thing for me is keeping status effects off people. I'm not spending tactics to do it, which is huge too. My personal style tends to be very control focused, so I want to be sure I have a counter it. This helps the rest of things go a bit more smoothly for me, and helps make sure I'm playing my game, not theirs.

Why would YOU use her? Her and Mendoza would make quite a strong backbone for a team, and she could help alleviate some of the risk Mendoza puts himself in for peak usage. Her ability to remove states means Mendoza can factor that in when choosing tactics, plus helps him should a state come upon him that could potentially increase damage done to him.

19. treiral

treiral Midnight poster

20. CAnon

CAnon Well-Known Member

Oberon is huge. Not just for silence, which is sweet enough (can you imagine Musashi without Kaze Tachinu? Max without Get behind me!? Hexxer without Vade Retro?), but also for his 3-energy action to allow you to draw a tactic of your choice from your deck. Having No!, Amputate, Epic Regeneration, and any number of other game-defining cards available to you turn 1 is an unspeakable advantage. Not to mention you have an alright chance of hitting his general switch also.

Gata is still the premier scorer. Sure, she has problems with immobilize (like Bixie has issues with Dazzled), but lots of immobilize effects are very short range anyway and someone as fast as Gata really shouldn't be in harms reach for them. Moreover, coming back from the Infirmary will always hurt her WAY less than it does Bixie (who is also good, but requires more finesse). I think, even if you have people like Parvati and Musashi on your comp (making it a pretty fast team) you still really want either Gata or Bixie on the more mobile missions like Scorched Earth and Capture the Flag.

krotos likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation