1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mines: Intentional Trigger Cancel by Clipping Friendly Trooper

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Knest, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Knest

Knest New Member

Consider the following situation: Active player moves a sacrificial model (such as a crazy koala) into the trigger area of a reactive player mine. When placing the mines template the reactive player can position it to only hit the triggering model; however he can also place the template such that it hits both the triggering model and another of the reactive player's models, thus preventing the mine from triggering. Is the reactive player allowed to choose the second type of template placement in order to preserve their mine for later?

2. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

I'm pretty sure this is going to make it impossible:
    • Once on the game table, Mines must trigger when an enemy figure or Marker declares or executes an Order or ARO inside their Trigger Area.
    Because of the 'must'.

solkan likes this.
  3. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Problem is the third point from the one you quoted:

• A Mine never triggers if the Small Teardrop Template also affects an ally, even if that ally is Unconscious.
    The "never" places at the same height than the "Must". Question here is if the controlling player can "game the rules" to place the mine so it will clip an allied troop, thus arguing for the "never triggers", or MUST select any template position that will reach the enemy without affecting the allied troop... funnnnnnnn -.-U

Also, plase bring to the translator's team that, in Spanish's RAW, it is quite hard for any mine to detonate, since it reads "A mine won't trigger if there is an allied troop within the Trigger Area, even if such troop is in the Unconscious state":
    • Una Mina no detonará si dentro de su Zona de Detonación se encuentra una tropa aliada, aunque ésta se halle incluso en estado Inconsciente.
    Mind you, I think the English version is correct because, as I said, no mine would ever trigger unless you plant it and spend 3-4 orders to get out, or manage to get to total cover after planting the mine... The Spanish text still requires a patch, though.

ChoTimberwolf likes this.
  4. split-infinity

Also, Crazy Koala is equipment and would not trigger a mine.

5. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

They trigger mines.
    http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Perimeter

EDIT:

Sorry, for mines I quoted the wrong passage. The above passage is showing that they trigger other Perimeter Weapons. Below is the correct passage:

Perimeter Weapons are Figures.
    http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Mines
    • Once on the game table, Mines must trigger when an enemy figure or Marker declares or executes an Order or ARO inside their Trigger Area.

6. split-infinity

7. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

No, as the figure/marker is not executing and order or ARO (and never does). It's simply landing due to being fired.

Perimeter weapons have ARO: boost.

8. daszul

daszul Well-Known Member

And they execute many other orders as well:
    http://infinitythewiki.com/de/Perimeter
    Perimeter Items are activated by each Order declared by their bearer. Each time the bearer declares Cautious Movement, Climb, Move, or Jump, his Perimeter Items will perform the same Skill. If the bearer declares any other Skill different from the previously mentioned ones, the Perimeter Items will do nothing, considering it an Idle.​
    So by moving a CrazyKoala into the trigger area of a mine, it earns itself an ARM 0 save vs damage 13 as the mine detonates.

ChoTimberwolf and xagroth like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation