1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mendoza, el padre... perfecto ?

Discussion in 'Smoke & Mirrors' started by Kaloupilé, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Kaloupilé

Kaloupilé Member

The first time i have seen Mendoza, i was like : "wow! he looks strong"
    Then, I though that his tactics will be just okay, but.... not at all !
    so, on the paper it seems that he is powerfull, but what about in game.

I played several games against him, and several games with him.
    Now my reaction is :scream::scream::scream:
    he is a monster !!

Master of healing: he can heal without spending action point. he can heals when he attack and when you attack him !
    Master of :A:: No matters about your defence, he easily burn you at close and middle range.

his :W: isn't the best but it is honorable. his :U: is okay.

however what is his weakness ?

okay he have only 3:4:
    but does he really care about that ? thanks to his :W: it's note easy to one shot him. and if you don't sucess to kill him, he will heal himself so quickly.

Okay he have only 4:Y:
    but he is good in attack and in defence:
    you play first for attack : he will heal himself and allies
    you play second : he will :A: you, and you will sufer at the end of your activation.

I didn't talk about his tactics. they can return a game at your advantage.

In my opinion he is really too strong. My question is :
    what is his weakness ? (expect maybe Parvati)

2. Roadrunner7431

Roadrunner7431 Well-Known Member

You are correct that Mendoza is one of the most versatile characters. Remember that his Attack requires LOS so that he can always be dazzled and unlike Kozmo and Bixie he does not see through Smoke. Any character is hurt by being immobilized. The ranged characters frequently have longer range and may shoot him from a distance. That said, he has synergies with almost everyone of the other 25 Aristos available.

Kaloupilé likes this.
  3. Kaloupilé

Kaloupilé Member

thanks for your answer :) i keep in mind your advices
    even if long range attack him he is able to heal, so disapointed...
    i think the best way is to give all that u got to kill him in one shot.

4. Numazokola

Numazokola Well-Known Member

I think his range is a little bit dangerous with those stats.

quick analysis:
    long range is 6 or more... you will be safe because the enemy (average) has to move twice to get in range and not energy left to attack.
    mid range is 2 to 5... you need something to keep you alive, like hiding, smoke, displacement, abilities without LoS or a good defense.
    close range is 1 to 2... you need a good defense + a mechanic that cancels :2:, heals or similar.

Mendoza is in the mid range, so is risk reward game. go closer to heal and burn and everything but you will be on range of a Musashi Blender, angry Valkyrie, or sexy Massacre.

good fun tho. his tactics are game changers too

5. Chikahiro

Chikahiro Well-Known Member

He is fun. I find he does better when he is in fairly close, but that puts him at great risk of being sent to the infirmary.

Anyone who can mess with states is a good to have against him. Parvati can eliminate states which means his Burning may not have a chance to go off. I'm looking forward to using Bachman against him as well. Laxmee can provide some defense against it as well. That said, Dazzle is a go-to ability for me in regards to dealing with :L:ranged attacks and abilities.

I'd also be careful of Displacement as well. Deus Vult is one of my favorite abilities of his, but if he's knocked out of position before he can use it...? Not fun :p

I tend to consider him a high-priority target. Whether its sending him to the bench or inflicting Status effects on him, I really want to minimize his play in game. When I use him, I'm very much in a risk:reward mode because of Burning and his tactics that make use of it. Also, getting a chance to get Burning on characters with good defense always makes me happy (stupid Maximus... grumblegrumble).

Fun character, but I don't consider him must-have. Good to have, but not must have.

6. Disko King

Disko King Well-Known Member

Didin't know he can heal himself? Heal allies, I always thought it's his allies, but not himself?

If he is close, you could have Maximus next to him and basically unkilable duo ;)

Yes, Parvati can eliminate burn tokes, but he can easily put burn tokens on 2 targets and on top of that heal his allies. So parvati spent her turn just removing those tokens, while he also healed a lot of wounds. You are already getting lot more mileage out of him, because you just forced enemy to waste one of his aristos doing nothing but undoing what you did to his team, but on top of that, you probably healed your team to perfect state back ;)
    And also, he has better chance to handle those burn tokens, than parvati has succeed to remove them, after all, she only has 2 dices, so that means more chance for failure compared to his 3(and he heals and deals burn with them, and can deal wounds...depends which ability you use ).

But on other hand, if you have someone like Bachmann, you can just remove a lot of bad tokens from your team back to enemy team, not bad at all?

#6 Disko King, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  7. Chikahiro

Yes, he heals himself! The heal is :SL:0-5, and he's range 0 :)

The trade off with burn being it’s not guaranteed damage and it’s delayed unless you have a way to accelerate that (Eclypse would help with that, but its still not guaranteed damage).

Do keep in mind that Mendoza does need to be relatively close in, is below average health, and is slow so far as :Y:goes. He can do a lot on average, but you're putting him into high risk (are you familiar with the term "glass cannon"?) to do so. Likewise, he has to be within 5:SL:to do anything as a healer and within 4:L:to extra heals during his turn. So positioning is very important as is mobility.

:S:hurts him tremendously because Flamma is :L: requiring him to be 1-1:L: to use it. You'd have to wait it out, spend a valuable tactics card, or have someone one your team who can clear states to quickly remove it. :G:prevents him from getting where he needs to be. Displacement would further aggravate that. :I: doesn't do him any favors. Smoke doesn't help him in that regard either.

Do keep in mind: if Mendoza is as perfect as suggested, then he's out of balance and needs to be nerfed to be brought back into line or possibly banned/restricted for competitive play. We're suggesting he's a great character, definitely the best healer in the game, but he's got his drawbacks too, and all that needs to be accounted for within the team composition.

8. Chikahiro

How's this: instead of considering how good Mendoza is by himself versus Parvati, Laxmee, Eclypse, etc., maybe thing about ways they can make him better if they're on the same team? Both their normal character card and their own tactics.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation