1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Greif (operators)

Discussion in 'Tohaa' started by borings, Mar 27, 2019.

1. borings

borings Well-Known Member

Haha there wasnt already a discussion thread on these guys so i get to name the topic. Deal with it!

First off, Why spell their name that way? Autocorrect is gonna constantly complain about it, or it is gonna change how your device registers the word grief and start having you misspell grief all the time.

Ok for real tho, these guys seem decent. The d-charges one seems most usable, for missions where you wanna use d-charges. The impersonation guy is there to make the kiiutan look better with its two wounds. Dont fall for it, this one is the better to go impersonate with (at least in vanilla). The mimetism one is still prolly more useful overall, i would assume its job is to sit somewhere in the mid and be in suppressive fire. Not sure why you would want this over a clipsos, mebbe you want msv1 for some reason?

ev0k likes this.
  2. ChoTimberwolf

ChoTimberwolf Artichoken Friend

Yeah probably will use the greif over the kiiutan cause it has better weapons in vanilla 2 breaker pistols and 9 points less ;)
    Greif is a german word so guess its our fault

3. Hiereth

Hiereth AI Artichoke

But it lets me do this
    Spiral Corps──────────────────────────────────────────────────GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]10 GREIF-OP (Inferior Impersonation) Combi Rifle / 2 Breaker Pistols, Knife. (0.5 | 21) DRAAL Submachine Gun, Pulzar, D-Charges, Dazer / Viral Pistol, Knife. (0 | 30) DRAAL Submachine Gun, Pulzar, D-Charges, Dazer / Viral Pistol, Knife. (0 | 30) DRAAL (Minelayer) AP Marksman Rifle, D-Charges, Antipersonnel Mines / Viral Pistol, Knife. (1 | 40) KIIUTAN Submachine Gun + E/Mitter, E/Mauler / Viral Pistol, Knife. (1 | 28) KIIUTAN Submachine Gun + E/Mitter / Viral Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 26) CLIPSOS Minelayer Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 25) CLIPSOS (Forward Observer) Combi Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 25) IGAO Boarding Shotgun, Stun Grenades / Pistol, DA CC Weapon. (0 | 25) IGAO Boarding Shotgun, Stun Grenades / Pistol, DA CC Weapon. (0 | 25)GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]1 [​IMG]1 TAAGMA Lieutenant Breaker Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 16) HELOT MILITIAMAN Submachine Gun, Light Rocket Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 9) 4 SWC | 300 PointsOpen in Infinity Army

Abrilete and ChoTimberwolf like this.
  4. borings

Yeah i guess you can make some bad lists in spiral. Not really sure what the point of the faction is, unless it is to showcase how tohaa could be bad if they didnt have access to good shooting or cc units.

5. Cothel

Cothel Well-Known Member

These guys are not only available to Tohaa and Spiral, they are also in Combined Army and Onyx.

ChoTimberwolf, xagroth and borings like this.
  6. Verso

Verso Active Member

Yeah this guy is way better for Tohaa than the other Impersonation offering, him and the Draal are really the only things I feel like we picked up.

Have to agree about Spiral Corps so far @borings, they have some obvious power but their compositions are so awkward. They also have really bad SWC issues....

7. ChoTimberwolf

ChoTimberwolf Artichoken Friend

Draal greif and kriigel i think are useful for vanilla although greif feels like a merc

8. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

Anecdotal naming stuff:

"Greif" (pl Greifen) is German and directly translates into "Griffon" nowadays.
    Although it's also part of "Greifvogel" which translates into "Bird of Prey".
    In the olden times Greif=any sort of bird of pey, mostly native ones like hawks, falcons or buzzards.

If that's indeed where their name comes from one could say their name marks them as light and agile hunters.

9. Aldo

Aldo Spare 15

Or it mamks them as a terrible reference to a poorly planned and managed nazi german operation during the battle of the bulge.

It involved germans dressing in american uniforms and welding sheet metal onto german tanks to make them look like Allied ones.

Went pretty bad but the allies pissed their pants and got really paranoid.

10. Teslarod

Teslarod when in doubt, Yeet

And you don't think that operation was in turn named after something?
    Like ... dunno Operation Eagle isn't just a random assembly of letters.

What the heck Godwins law, calm your horses ...damn.

chaos11 likes this.
  11. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

This is the most underwhelming profile released in... ever, probably.

BS11 is very meh, even with mimetism + MSV1 and his impersonator profile is strictly inferior to the Kiutaan. Idk why this is AVA1, even if you could take 4 you would see exactly 0 on a table ever. Even with the obvious stratuscloud synergy it's still not worth it since it doesn't have anything over B3.

borings likes this.
  12. spears

spears Well-Known Member

I dunno, in some missions just dumping 20 points in your opponents half of the board without rolling for it can have value.

13. Verso

Verso Active Member

I'm of the literal opposite opinion. 9pts is a big deal and I'd rather have two Breaker Pistols than one Viral. The only thing the Grief Operator loses is 1 Wound, don't care since he's a missile, and 1 BS. MSV1 is a big deal as well. I doubt I'll ever use the Kiutaan but the Grief Operator will see play in some Missions, especially Decapitation.

nehemiah and ChoTimberwolf like this.
  14. Vanderbane

Vanderbane Well-Known Member

In my next episode of being pedantic about names, please note that this is pronounced basically as "grife." It has the same vowel sound as Einstein.

Now, if you want to say Grief as a clever play on the name, well fine (although we may have differing opinions on what clever means to discuss).

End pronunciation pedantry.

toadchild, Yog.0, borings and 2 others like this.
  15. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

This is extremely useful to me as I'm doing a recording on Spiral and Tohaa this evening and now won't get it wrong :)

barakiel and Vanderbane like this.
  16. borings

having played this in a game yesterday, i understand the use of impersonation over a clipsos. the clipsos FO is great for pushing a button at the end of the game, the greif op is definitely there to deal with all the camo/mimetism aro pieces people are running nowadays. the extra space to deploy in up to your opponent's dz allows you to put this guy pretty much anywhere on the table, preferably somewhere above the enemies so it can shoot down at them from cover and retreat to a safe position. keep it as your reserve troop obviously for best effect.

side note: after playing this it makes me sad about the kiutan. with msv1, the G-O is effectively bs 2 higher than the kiiutan for dealing with the best targets.

17. TheRedZealot

TheRedZealot Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Seems like its time to buy an extra Sygma unit or two.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation