1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interacting with Tri-Core's Optional label

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by locksmith, Mar 29, 2019.

1. locksmith

locksmith comlog active

Tri-Core is Automatic and Optional.

I'm unsure of an interaction where the Optional label is important, unless this is intended:
    • Deploy schemer in holo1 state, in a triad, with Tri-Core waived. (With the skill waived, no marker would be placed on the table.)
    • Activate the fireteam (or the bearer of the Tri-Core in ARO)
      • "turn on" Tri-Core
      • place the Tri-Core marker
      • receive its benefits.
    With the overall goal being to 'hide' your tri-core at deployment so your opponent doesn't know which Triad it's in until you activate that triad.

2. WarHound

WarHound Well-Known Member

Having read over the skill, it seem totally Legit, yeah.

3. spears

spears Well-Known Member

I think much like deploying a to camo troop as a normal camo marker, the tri core would need to be on at the beginning of the order. So the triad wouldn't receive the benefits until the second aro.

4. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

camo and to camo has NFB, so if you start the order benefiting from camo, then you cannot also benefit from to camo during that order. So the benefits will only apply on the second ARO.

But that is not the case with tri-core and no tri-core.

edit: that said, there is no order in which you declare/perform ARO. So if the bearer and non-bearer both have LoF, the non-bearer will always react without the use of the tri-core marker which was absent during his ARO phase. The bearer might be able to benefit during his ARO.

5. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I'd say it's not surprising, since Stealth also is automatic & optional.

As for other uses... well, Taagma are AVA3 in Spiral, so you can deploy 2 Triads with Taagma and then a Core of 4Brawlers + 1Taagma. You now can choose which of the triads will act as a tri-core.

6. spears

spears Well-Known Member

• Players can have a maximum of one trooper possessing this Special Skill in their Army List.

Hecaton and ijw like this.
  7. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Sooo... Please call the translator XD. And @ijw too (so he can tell CB to bring the PDF's in line), because the spanish PDF says:

Which translates to "have any number of Taagma Tri-Core you want, only one can be active at any given time".

ChoTimberwolf and spears like this.
  8. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

... I guess the Spanish PDF needs some updating....

9. spears

spears Well-Known Member

I prefer the spanish version, at 1 swc I'm not sure I would ever run more than 1 but at least the decision is in list design rather than a flat ban. That also ties in with army not flagging it as illegal.

xagroth likes this.
  10. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

xagroth likes this.
  11. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Is this a joke?

12. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Nope, the PDF, when I pubished that at least, showed that difference.

The Wiki, as IJW says, is in line both in Spanish and English. And since it's 18.00 in Spain, I wouldn't hope for a new PDF until monday.

13. Hecaton

The bit you quoted proves you wrong though.

14. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I quoted a part in the Daedalus' PDF first in English, then in Spanish. In Spanish it says you can only have, at most, one Firetam Triad with an active active Tri-Core marker on the table, which would not prevent to have all Taagma AVA as Tri-Core able ones.

On Monday we'll see, but It's not hard to imagine that the point in limiting it to a single Taagma (Tri-Core) is to let the SC's player oppponent to prioritize the Taagma (tri-Core) and remove the second "5man improved" Fireteam from the game.

15. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

Bostria said it in one of the last videos like it is in the Spanish version, therefore it seems to be a short term change.

That the Spanish pdf seems to be a outdated version was stated in another topic.

16. Hecaton

Yes, but that's different from what you said earlier.

17. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

What he said first was the Spanish PDF, what he said next was the Spanish wiki that is fixed to be in line with the English PDF, that has the most up to date rules.

xagroth likes this.
  18. locksmith

locksmith comlog active

So perhaps the 'Optional' label is a leftover from an earlier version of the rule and should be removed?

19. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

I find it as pressing as to know how to reactivate the Tri-Core after the triad loses a member (thus cancelling it) and then I re-create the Triad with another guy with the Taagma...

I mean, I *think* that being automatic, just linking a third member would activate the tri-core again. By also being optional, you can avoid to reveal your Tri-core until you wish to use it activelly, allowing for the disguise of the Taagma Schemer to not be automatically a waste of points.

For example, have Triad A (Tri-Core) and Triad B (normal one). Both have a Taagma, only one has the Tri-Core skill, and both Taagma are disguised as something legal for that triad (I care little about what exactly for this example). You could even disguise the Taagma!B as Tri-Core to fool the opponent into prioritizing Triad B instead of the real one, while Taaagma!A is totally innocuous.

ChoTimberwolf likes this.
  20. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Yes, it's an Automatic Skill. So you don't need to spend an Order or ARO to activate it, you just need to fulfil the Requirements.

psychoticstorm and xagroth like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation