1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New player needs help

Discussion in 'New Users' started by Ayuruk, Mar 26, 2019.

1. Ayuruk

Ayuruk New Member

Hi all. New PanO player here (come from playing warmachine and warhammer) need some help. I just bought the start pack (3rd edition) . And I was looking for some feed back on new units to buy, was looking at Jeanne d Arc and a seraph. Are those good choices? And suggestions?

2. Stiopa

Stiopa Trust The Fuckhead

Hi there, welcome to forums and the Hyperpower ;)

Starter is obviously a good way to start. Next purchases rely on whether you'd like to play with "vanilla" faction - all units allowed, or "sectorial" armies - more restricted in terms of unit choices, but with some unique options and the ability to form units similar to w40k squads, called fireteams. You can find their description and guides in the PanO section. Your choices seem to steer you in the direction of Military Orders sectorial.

In general, whatever you'll choose, start small - play some 100-150 pts games, add 50 pts when you'll feel comfortable, repeat until you get to 300 pts. Starting with the standard level is jumping on the deep end and can be overwhelming.

If you decide to keep to vanilla - I'd look at the basics. PanO half of Beyond Icestorm set and Dronbot Remotes. most of these units will be useful in almost any list you'll make, and give you a good choice of proxies as well.

If you'll want to start Military Orders - I'd look at the MO 300 pts box.

Good luck! ;)

#2 Stiopa, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    Ayuruk likes this.
  3. Ayuruk

Ayuruk New Member

So could I use Jeanne d Arc and a seraph with a starter pack that I got? Those units do seem pretty cool to me. Also that MO box seems perfect.

4. Stiopa

Yeah, without problem. Keep one thing in mind, though - TAG lists are different, you're basically running a mechanized group instead of infantry platoon, and there's a whole bunch of differences when it comes to list building and tactics. There's an excellent guide on that.

Also, running a Joan list will almost always mean that she's your Lieutenant - basically, the whole squad's leader. A savvy opponents will hunt her down, and with Lieutenant killed or unconscious you're spending a turn in Loss of Lieutenant state. You don't want to do that, as it severely restricts your options for that turn. To safeguard against this you'll want to field a unit with Chain of Command skill, which will automatically assume command when Lieutenant goes down. PanO has two units with CoC, and we'll probably be getting a third one tomorrow.

Ayuruk and Abrilete like this.
  5. Lieutenant

Lieutenant PanOceanic Dabbler

As a new player the first thing you want to do is decide your goal. Are you looking to have some fun and enjoy the beautiful miniatures Infinity has to offer, or are you more interested in doing whatever it takes to push your army to victory? If you’re more in aesthetics than you should probably play stock PanOceania and get any unit that catches your eye. Or if you do have a passion for the Heavy Infantry crusaders, play to that theme and invest in the units you like out of the Military Orders Sectorial. However, if you’re more into the competition of the game, it’s good to start thinking about what units are going to lead you to victory. That usually means asking more experienced players what they think of the effectiveness of certain units. At the home page of the forums, go to Human Sphere and from that page click PanOceania. Now you have access to the opinions of top players. That’s a great place to ask about how good Joan of Arc and Seraph are, as far as gameplay goes. There’s no debate that they are extremely attractive minis ;)

Ayuruk likes this.
  6. Ayuruk

Ayuruk New Member

Thanks alot. Would you be so kind as to explain fire teams/groups to me?

7. Postmortem

Postmortem Kazak Arachnophile

Stiopa likes this.
  8. Lieutenant

The best way of learning fireteams is going to the wicki and reading the rules on it. But a quick overview:

Sectorials (along with a few vanilla factions) allow units to be coordinated in groups called fireteams. In PanOceania, there are three types of Fireteams: Duo (2 unit requirement to form), Haris (2-3 unit requirement to form), and Core (1-5 unit requirement to form).

Only certain units can be part of fireteams, indicated by the presence of the Skill “Fireteam” on their profile. A fireteam must be composed of all the same type of unit, unless allowed by an exception printed on the unit profile.

Fireteams operate this way: by expending one order and selecting which individual will be the fireteam leader, a player may activate all units belonging to a single fireteam. An entire fireteam only generates a single ARO to enemies with LOF. Members of a fireteam must perform all of the same actions. When declaring an offensive maneuver, I.g. BS attack, only the link leader performs the actual attack. However, he receives certain bonuses depending on the number of units in the fireteam.

2 members: Two members grants no special bonuses.
    3 members: Three members grants plus burst to the link leader during the active turn, and plus 1 burst to all units in the fireteam during the reactive turn.
    4 members: Four members grants the link leader Sixth Sense level 2 in the active turn, and Sixth Sense level 2 to all units in the fireteam during the reactive turn.
    5 members: Five members grants the link leader a +3 modifier when shooting during the active turn, and a +3 modifier to the entire fireteam during the reactive turn.
    These bonuses are cumulative.

Fireteams can be cancelled for a variety of reasons.
    1: the unit loses too many members (see the fireteam rules for specifics)
    2: the team loses its leader
    3: coherency issues
    4: see rules for more

Remember, this is just an overview! You must read the fireteam rules and understand them if you want to employ fireteams properly. It will take a few games to get used to the rules.

Thanks and have fun!

Stiopa likes this.
  9. Stiopa

Looks like Lieutenant beat me to it ;) One additional thing - Core and Haris teams have a limit of 1 per army. So you can have 1 Core + 1 Haris + any number of Duos.

Fireteam rules look complicated, but are easy to get after few games. They are also being improved recently, with increased opportunities to link troopers from different units (previously only those from the same unit could form a team), and introduction of Wildcard units, which are allowed to join any fireteam.

Lieutenant likes this.
  10. Lieutenant

I forgot to include how to form them and my thumbs hurts lol

Stiopa likes this.
  11. Ayuruk

Ayuruk New Member

Wow thank you everyone for all the help

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation