1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupidly premature Gen Con speculation

Discussion in 'News' started by Swiftage, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Postmortem

Postmortem Kazak Arachnophile

Not sure why you are trying to sell me on your opinion. I understand your points. Thought I was clear about mine, no need to argue opinions.

2. Smiler

Smiler Well-Known Member

CB have explicitly said they have no plans in increasing the size of the game so no need to worry on that front.

oldGregg, ZlaKhon, Section9 and 4 others like this.
  3. Postmortem

Works for me.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  4. Aemaru

Aemaru Well-Known Member

They even tried to make 10 orders more viable !

with the suppression of the ability for the second player to sustract 2 orders for the player with initiative in the first turn

ZlaKhon, Section9 and Abrilete like this.
  5. Modock

Modock Well-Known Member

15mm doesn't burst my bubbles in the slightest. Infinity is perfectly enough as it is...speaking for myself. Not interested in bigger
    scale ala 40k. A RPG with a smaller miniature cout, well that's another story.

Also I really don't think CB has the capacity to release more miniatures in a different scale, they usually release
    between 11-13 new minis per month.

xagroth, A Mão Esquerda and Hiereth like this.
  6. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

Man, totally sucks that they only allow WYSIWYG, too! Oh, wait...

7. kanluwen

kanluwen Well-Known Member

Man, it totally is great that specific arms and weapons aren't keyed to specific bodies and poses aren't done in such a way that anything barring a half-assed handswap that will look awful is impractical!

Oh, wait...

xagroth likes this.
  8. SuperD

SuperD Well-Known Member

This is not a fair comment. Metal miniatures do require a bit more finesse to convert but Infinity is no better or worse than any other game in that regards. With a bit of skill you can create quite a few different poses or weapon options or different models entirely.

Pen-dragon and chromedog like this.
  9. kanluwen

Has nothing to do with finesse really. When you have models that have parts of the chest detail removed so that the weapon can sit flush? That's posing.

10. SuperD

SuperD Well-Known Member

I suppose the easy answer is greenstuff but from your tone I'm guessing that isn't your thing. Like all miniature based games, the models themselves are really just a guideline. You're free to cut, glue, mold whatever you want.

Pen-dragon and Postmortem like this.
  11. kanluwen

And it feels, from your tone, that you're interested in just trying to talk down at me.

What you're talking about isn't "green stuff" in many cases. It's going to be resculpting chunks of detail that most people would not consider as part of an "easy answer".

"Easy answer" would be armswaps or things of that nature. Not resculpting parts of a tactical vest or a cloak.

xagroth likes this.
  12. Postmortem

#132 Postmortem, Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  13. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Newer Infinity models are significantly harder to convert than the older ones. All the way back in the day, you could actually convert every profile for Akali, Bagh-Mari, and Kamau just by swapping arms, even though there were only 2-3 models of each unit and ~6 profiles to make.

The newer (CAD) models are easier to assemble, but harder to convert due to the pegs and removed details and stuff.

Berjiz, xagroth, toadchild and 4 others like this.
  14. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

That’s a really fascinating paradox for modeling, really.

I think part of the issue is really that “conversion” doesn’t get recognized as being figure sculpting practice. But there’s still that sort of issue in the pre-CAD models. For instance, an original version Morat Hacker model that’s pretty much impossible to covert to another profile because it’s posed holding a ball to its chest.

toadchild likes this.
  15. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

It is mainly in my opinion an issue of GWs massive presence on the market, they have established the term conversion, that in all other related hobbies means "extensive modification and resculpting" of a model (to the really old they might remember that manufacturers, including GW (circa blue and red catalogue) did conversions of miniatures creating modified versions of the original to increase their miniatures catalogue), to mean what in all other hobbies is named kitbash, merging unmodified parts from different (model) kits to create a new one.

GW models are mainly designed with kitbash in mind (exception been the characters and the easy to build models that are impossible to kitbash only convert) hence the mostly blunt and slightly incoherent poses the models have as a compromise to allow the easy swapping of parts among the entire catalogue, of course the most interesting and dynamic models are the "easy to build" and "character level" single pose models.

CB designs their models at character level, been single pose, making them easy to build was the next step and it is quite appreciated by the majority of the community, it does make kitbashing quite more difficult indeed but to a dedicated converter its a not such a big hindrance.

Berjiz, Splod, Pen-dragon and 7 others like this.
  16. Melchior

Melchior Well-Known Member

You got a point here! And I like the new design and miss the easy kitbash from before at the same time

oldGregg and A Mão Esquerda like this.
  17. kanluwen

Conversion means modifying a model--it has nothing to do with some weird caveat of "extensive modification" and it certainly doesn't require "extensive resculpting" on a model.

Headswaps are conversions. Kitbashes are conversions. Christ, even simply taking a knife and scoring the armor plates on a model is considered conversions.

xagroth likes this.
  18. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

You are totally right, but I think the comprehension for the term "conversion" is now indivisible connected with Kitbashing.

Abrilete likes this.
  19. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

As I said it depends on how old you are in the hobby and if you started pre GW promoting kitbashing as conversions or not, there is a reason why all other hobbies that have model building are clearly distinct between kitbashing and conversions and why conversions are considered a far more skilled work than kitbashing.

And indeed scoring a model and creating battle damage (and risking ruining the model in the process) is a conversion, finding a model part that has already the battle damage presculpted that fits in is kitbashing.

As I said there are many things in the wargaming community that are distinctly evolved from all other model building hobbies and most, if not all, can be traced back to GW, the term conversion for kitbashing has been heavily pushed by GW for more than two decades steadily changing from here is the new marine kit and here is what you can do with lots of cutting and greenstuff to here is the new marine kit and here are some older ones here is what you can do by swapping parts, as newer generations of wargamers that have neither ties to miniature building hobbies or older GW articles (lets make a conversion take 5 models cut them up, use green stuff and presto a new model) are educated by white dwarf and GW articles the concept of the terminology will change in this niche hobby.

This does not change the actual terminology used more widely and the reasons why the terminology exists.

Conversion, involved work requiring modelling expertise you have to make the parts work together, Kitbashing merging compatible kits together to make a new one.

The compatible part is the crucial one, kits need to be designed to be interchangeable and it has its own limitations enforced, in poses, cuts, part sizes ectr.

20. kanluwen

It really has nothing to do with "how old you are in the hobby" or "if you started pre-GW promoting kitbashing as conversions"(why shouldn't they? Magazines like Fine Scale Modeler consider that to be the case in some instances). Nobody I know believes any tripe about conversions being "a far more skilled work than kitbashing".

It seems like you just want to try to look down your nose at people who don't consider having to resculpt huge chunks of a model as "converting".

Also, once more:
    Kitbashing is converting.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation