1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Practical issue: transporting minis

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Varsovian, Jan 31, 2018.

1. Varsovian

Varsovian Well-Known Member

So, here's a general question regarding miniatures: how do you transport them?

I understand that they shouldn't just be put into a shoe box - too much trashing around during transport... I'm considering picking something like these Safe & Sound foam boxes:

https://www.safeandsound.pl/en_GB/p/Standard-Box-for-40-miniatures-on-25-mm-bases/188
    https://www.safeandsound.pl/en_GB/p/Standard-Box-for-36-miniatures-on-32-mm-bases/190
    https://www.safeandsound.pl/en_GB/p/Standard-Box-for-32-miniatures-on-40-mm-bases/191

My concern is: which one to choose? Many Infinity troopers are S2, meaning they have 25 mm bases... But, the thing is, many of these models have dynamic poses and don't fit on their bases entirely. They have extended arms, guns sticking out etc. So, maybe it'd be better to put them into these boxes made for 32mm or 40mm bases? Or is it better to put the models into really tight slots and cram the guns, arms etc. into the foam walls?

Any experience with using such boxes?

2. Renfri

Renfri Well-Known Member

I use a Feldherr foam storage. While some foams are supposed to be "designed" for Infinity, I actually think there are rather standard sized.

These are Foams with 16 compartiments to put minis in :

- You can usually fit 2x25 mm models with "reasonable" poses in one slot if you put em standing against the "floor" of the slot.
    - You can put a 25mm Model with a "exotic" pose with the base resing against one side of the slot. For Example Achilles with his sword raised (Tho I had to make a little cut in the foam for the sword to fit)
    - You can put a 40mm Model in the slots as well. In either way. I put Zayin Remotes with the base to the roof. The Base fits just right and is held by foam on both sides.

Danger Rose and gorkij like this.
  3. gru6y

gru6y Well-Known Member

4. gru6y

gru6y Well-Known Member

5. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I bought some A-cases earlier on in the year, and zero regrets. I used to think magnetic storage is silly, and I've really changed my tune since then. It is small yet I can fit a ton of models in there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At $65 a case, I can't recommend it more.

https://a-case.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

lazovchik, Belgrim, Kakino and 4 others like this.
  6. gru6y

gru6y Well-Known Member

I'm a simple man. I see Morats - I press like!

Belgrim likes this.
  7. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Hah hah. Thanks. I can take some photos for you at some point if you'd like, though I plan on stripping them and repainting them at some point.

8. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Well-Known Member

This varies on what game/faction you are playing. For infinity I started with a half KR case. I like the size of the box because it fits I my normal bag with my work laptop. Half the box is 1 tray which holds 50mm fairly well and then 2 trays for s2 profiles. There are 2 types of 25mm trays. I use one of each. A couple models won't fit in the smaller slots.

My haqq collection has grown and I picked up a 1/4 case and it let's me carry a sectotal fairly well. But only fits s2 models. I have a small custom box for a couple remotes or a tag.

When I picked up my Druze I grabbed a chessex medium box. The small wholes are bigger than most other cases and I can fit my bashi bazoUK in it and not break a wing. It also has enough room for tags and large remotes sideways. The box is a little big for my bag. But it does fit. If you are keeping your collection small and different sized models I recommend it.

The chessex small box is 14xs2 models. Its perfect if you want to carry 1 list in a small box. My token box is the same size. I've taken it to conventions and could carry it all day before playing in the evening.

I personally don't like big bags because I would rather not bring a second bag to work. They are also not commuter friendly being designed for what's inside it and not the person carrying it.

9. jmmelo

jmmelo Well-Known Member

Just got one myself... great stuff

P.S.: Got sniped here... I meant the A-Case bag :P I still have and use KR stuff in various sizes, but magnetic is the way to go, I feel

Attached Files:

10. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Oh yeah. No question. The bag is the size of a lunch bag, and it holds about 100 models. More so, I was sick to death of foam wearing away the sharp edges of my models, which resulted in hours of touch ups prior to game nights. After the first one, I bought 3 more for various games. I don't think I'll ever go back to foam.

To put things in perspective, I have a $200 battlefoam 720 bag that I can fit 3 days of luggage in (trust me... I've done it). I can fit the same amount of models in my a-case, and I can fit 3 a-cases in my empty battlefoam bag. Those 3 a-cases cost less than the battlefoam bag.

It's a no brainer in my books.

jherazob likes this.
  11. WolfofWinter

WolfofWinter Well-Known Member

I'm using a metal lunchbox at the moment, with some foam on the inside walls, it's been great so far! :grinning:

12. Varsovian

*jaw drops to the floor*

The magnetic bag... it looks awesome!

Please explain one thing to me: can it be bought at the moment? The page you linked to say "pre-order", not "buy"...

13. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Pre-order it. The owner just finished shipping on the KS and he was super quick about it. If you prr-order, you will get it fairly soon. It is definitely with the wait.

It also comes with magnets. It is seriously revolutionalized my miniature transportation issues. As soon as all the people in my Infinity community saw it, I got them all in touch with a-case, and they are all getting them.

14. Varsovian

I have a question about magnets: does this bag come with any special magnets, or are these the same magnets that are available in hobby shops?

I admit I'm surprised that ordinary magnets can be as strong. According to the test video, minis in that box survive unmoved even if the box is turned upside down...

15. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Technically, they aren't "normal" magnets. Those are fairly weak.
    They are "Rare Earth magnets" which can be a fair bit stronger than "normal" magnets. This is why they are often featured in scare campaigns for dangerous toys (the magnetix type, with the rods and ball magnets for example. those can be swallowed by small children and they will grab each other from 5-10cm easily. This usually ends badly when it's inside you, leading to perforated squishy bits).

AFAIK those cases come without magnets, you can just buy them (the magnets) from hobby stores or magnet suppliers.

Magnets are strong against the "up/down" shaking - less so to the "side/side" or rotational forces (which is why you don't try to pull REMs apart, but slide or twist them.

Danger Rose and jherazob like this.
  16. Varsovian

Okay, thanks!

Phew! I decided to pre-order that A-Case thing... I only hope that there won't be any trouble with receiving it! I hope that the people behind are trustworthy...

17. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I can tell you from experience, the owner is an amazing dude. It's rare to find someone as hard working and honest as him.

My a-cases came with neodymium magnets - some super strong ones. You'll need to get some rare earth magnets like @chromedog says, but they're pretty easy to find. Maybe email a-case if you're worried about finding some, and I'm sure he can hook you up. :)

Belgrim and Cry of the Wind like this.
  18. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Neodymium magnets ARE rare earth magnets. Usually combined with Iron and Boron for the NeFeBo type of neo magnets that are common around here.
    Also, often plated with a zinc/nickel plate (you need the zinc so the nickel sticks to it - dad was an electroplater).
    (I was unaware those cases shipped WITH magnets - so I erred on the safe side that it wouldn't. You find a use for "spare" magnets, anyway. :D)

taylor likes this.
  19. fartsocks

fartsocks Active Member

Seconding (or thirding) the A case. I started magnetising my models before I got it, and stored them in a gun case thing lined with sheet steel. That was good but the models are sideways when you carry it so they slid around sometimes. The A case keeps them upright, and you can hang it on your wall to display the models.[​IMG]

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

taylor and jherazob like this.
  20. Kakino

Kakino Desconfiando de Aleph

That A-case looks great! I'm also doubting between a foam suitcase or another with magnets as this one. One question for some of you that have the A-case (like @taylor or @fartsocks ). The A-case of the pre-order is the same that this other that I found there?
    https://shop.army-case.com/product/acase-victory-miniatures-case/
    It seems the same system and logo, but the price is higher.
    Do you know guys if pre-order has a limited time?
    Thanks for the info!

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation