1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TheDiceAbide's Island Table

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by TheDiceAbide, Dec 4, 2017.

1. TheDiceAbide

TheDiceAbide Thank you for your compliance.
    Warcor

I've played a few games on it, it's actually a deceptively dense table. It looks like there is a lot of long LOF, but in practice the islands block a ton, then the buildings/containers/rocks on the higher level also block a ton of cross-table LOF. All of the bridges are able to offer cover for models up to S4 as well, if you're standing in the water. I'll be making some 50mm bases of trees to scatter around to mix up the terrain a bit more. Maybe a pack of the battlefield in a box rocky outcrops for a bit more scatter, that can be used on land or in the water, but overall it's pretty solid.

Not a bad idea to add some barriers to the walkways, I just need to find the right ones, since I want to keep them genre agnostic.

IMG_0731.jpeg IMG_0732.jpeg

#21 TheDiceAbide, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  2. Kreslack

Kreslack Unknown Ranger lead the way!

That table looks amazing Dice. I'd love to play on that one

TheDiceAbide likes this.
  3. Monkeysloth

Monkeysloth Well-Known Member

Looks like you have enough room to add some crates\barrels and such to those walk ways. Can't think of a barrier that would really work outside of maybe corrugated metal sheets.

4. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Recently saw animal cages, they are crates with some holes but enough different look and great for "walls". Lumber can also work (modern neat planks, past rough "trunks"... basically building materials). Tubes if you don't mind using them only for modern and future games (pirates with concrete piping?). Flipped tables and removed doors if there was time for building barricades. In that line, stands selling things like fish, in use or destroyed. Small boats, canoes ("stack stored" or clearly as barricade). Big cloth (sail?) hanging between two supports, set to dry or being fixed. Fishing nets (hanging or pile), lots of layers and they are a near opaque mass (and mess). Information boards, like taxes, fishing rules, boat schedules or ads (modern mostly). Hay bales. Coffee (or whatever) sacks.
    Plenty of things that are cargo or have a reason to be around the "docks".

jherazob likes this.
  5. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

Just yesterday I saw on Bits of War (Kromlech's web store) this, which is a nice, and I think neutral enough, set of barricades in wood for less than 10 bucks.

TheDiceAbide likes this.
  6. cspo

cspo Well-Known Member

This is amazing.

I saw it and had the thought that "beaches" or "waves" and sea foam could work really well by making them part of the island pieces themselves.

That would visually add the white lines of foaming water while keeping it as modular as it currently is.

Still, looks really awesome.

Congrats!

TheDiceAbide likes this.
  7. TheDiceAbide

Warcor

Yeah I was considering that at first, with white flock or something. It came down to playability though, since it made placing models and terrain at the edges more difficult. So instead I just imagine this is a sheltered lagoon. :)

cspo likes this.
  8. Nincoreween

Nincoreween Macross Frontier Commander

That is amazing for a center piece of terrain, MDF has come a long way from the simple boxes.

TheDiceAbide likes this.
  9. TheDiceAbide

Warcor

Making headway! Everything is painted now, except the actual islands, haha. The jungle trees came together nicely, hot glued to a 2" MDF base, then applied a layer of pumice gel, which I mixed with brown ink to color it without having to paint it.

landing.jpg jungle.jpg docks.jpg comms.jpg

10. Icchan

Icchan Well-Known Member

Excellent stuff. Walls and floors could use a bit green and brown diluted washes around the overgrowth, so there's a more gradual transition from "clean" wall to flora.

Edster and TheDiceAbide like this.
  11. TheDiceAbide

Warcor

Made some progress on the islands, though they still need a lot of work (they just have the basic colors blocked in now). Really, I just wanted to see it all together.

islands-4.jpeg islands-3.jpeg islands-2.jpeg islands-1.jpeg

chromedog, Engorn, timberfox and 8 others like this.
  12. GingerGiant

GingerGiant Well-Known Member

That's looking really good! Have you had a chance to play on it yet?

TheDiceAbide likes this.
  13. TheDiceAbide

Warcor

I played on it a few times before I got paint down, it's really fun! The hardest part to get the hang of is movement (obviously), since the quickest route somewhere is seldom a straight line. Hopping from island to island and going across paths is by far the quickest way to get somewhere, but also the riskiest.

14. GingerGiant

That occured to me as I admired your table. Have you considered scatter terrain or banisters/rails for cover on the bridges? You might try a Low Tide / High Tide rule, where the water level starts in one state, and at the end of a particular round, it switches from aquatic terrain to typeless, or vice-versa.

jherazob and TheDiceAbide like this.
  15. TheDiceAbide

Warcor

I did consider it, but then it just makes it play like any other table! As it is, you can stand behind the docks/walkways to get cover, but you'll be in difficult terrain. It's a table of payoffs. Similarly, neither of the two places that are decent for sniping (the landing pad or the satellite) have walls, meaning you have to go prone for cover, or be totally exposed to everything.

For non-ITS games, it would be fun to have either a rising or lowering tide , going open → difficult → extremely difficult, or even difficult → extremely difficult → dangerous. Generally speaking though, we've played it RAW.

unclesrouce, jherazob and GingerGiant like this.
  16. TheDiceAbide

Warcor

Got to see the table in action this weekend! Overall, it sounded like everyone who played on it had a great time. It does have some interesting meta-shifting qualities however, such as MSV1 becoming very helpful thanks to the woods, as well as putting more value on AD/Infiltration. LOF is very challenging on it, some areas play denser than they are, and some areas are deceptively open. I consider this table a success!

IMG_2454.jpeg IMG_2453.jpeg

17. TheDiceAbide

Warcor

Got them all painted, now working on the flock.
    32169416_187291341992764_2267779359769100288_o.jpg

xammy, Xeurian, GingerGiant and 3 others like this.
  18. GingerGiant

Oh man! That's looking sweet! Nice work!

TheDiceAbide likes this.
  19. TheDiceAbide

Warcor

jherazob and unclesrouce like this.
  20. unclesrouce

unclesrouce Well-Known Member

You did a really fancy battle report. I really enjoyed it. Thx for sharing your insights!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

TheDiceAbide likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation