1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 2019 Conspiracy Theory

Discussion in 'Tohaa' started by Vanderbane, Sep 27, 2018.

?

Is this right?

1. Yeah, sounds like where we are headed

28 vote(s)
    32.2%
  2. Jeez, I hope not.

20 vote(s)
    23.0%
  3. This has no bearing on reality.

39 vote(s)
    44.8%
  1. andre61

andre61 Well-Known Member

Why not in a tournament?

2. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

If they were removed from the game, then they would not be ITS legal.

The odds of them being removed are nil. Changed, perhaps, but not removed from game.

xagroth, meikyoushisui and Golem2God like this.
  3. Scribbler

Scribbler Well-Known Member

To be honest, I took a wild (semi-educated) guess and have no idea if it’s true or not as I’m not a competitive player and don’t care much about ITS and let my mouth run longer than it should have. My reasoning came off of the assumption that everything in Army is can be taken to a tournament, and if Tohaa gets removed, then the army would not be legal.

Can someone who knows more about tournament rules than I do confirm or refute me, please?

EDIT: Ninja’d by @DukeofEarl

4. n21lv

n21lv SymbioHate

chromedog, Bellyflop and WarHound like this.
  5. Vanderbane

Vanderbane Well-Known Member

Oh sure, I’m happy to be wrong.

Thus far it looks like we’ll have more ways to play (both as Tohaa and as Spiral). But I’d still note that there’s definitely a focus away from the traditional Tohaa going forward based on what has been said and revealed so far. If that photo floating in the other thread of discontinued Tohaa units is legit, well then.

Either way, we don’t know what Daedalus’ Fall will do to availability/viability of the Tohaa faction (if anything). And while it wasn’t a total capitulation to the EI like I suggested, the Tohaa did take a beating in this phase of the war with all that entails. Thematically it’s similar to what I suggested (Tohaa loses, leaving the HS as the main anti-CA force with only a triumvirate-led diaspora of Tohaa helping in the wings). The most interesting possibility here is that the Triumvirate is actually the reason for the fall of the wormhole, instead of the CA. I could see that happening to protect their interests in Tohaa space and solidify themselves in the HS without Trident oversight. But fair enough. Let’s see what the army updates bring the traditional Tohaa (and the rest of the Sphere/CA) as the week moves on.

For my part, I'll probably be playing Spiral either way. I like being the baddies.

If anyone deserves credit for calling it early, it’s @Cothel who hit the most things right in this thread, by my count.

6. Janzerker

Janzerker Well-Known Member

Or maybe you weren't so wrong…

7. Vanderbane

Yeah, I saw that, too (mentioned in my post). Not sure I buy it - that's basically _everything_ tohaa that's not in Spiral. Which would be... odd, if they want to keep the Faction going (and some of @Bostria 's comments today suggest they do, that Tohaa Trident is not just closing up shop).

Golem2God likes this.
  8. Chickenprawn

Chickenprawn Member

9. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

I don't know what's that supposed to be, but it doesn't load.

10. tokumei

tokumei Well-Known Member

Discountinued list Tohaa just got squatted.

11. Abrilete

Wasn't that already posted in another thread (by another user)? Is it the same list or is it different?

12. SirGrumpyPants

SirGrumpyPants A little grumpy

The SKUs could be discontinued for the moment, to be re-released later with the new sculpts and other NA2 factions? Using the fluff with the fall of the Daedalus Gate to trim things down.

They have also very recently been talking about how and why they change, update, remove factions (in some of the videos at various tournaments, I distinctly recall Carlos talking about the reasoning behind things in the CanCon video)... maybe it was foreshadowing, and everyone was looking in the wrong direction. QK and CJC, when it was Tohaa getting the shaft all along.

13. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

There's a big difference between being squatted and being discontinued, as alluded to by an excellent game of Shock Army v MRRF that I had recently.

Mostly this just makes me wonder if I should buy a Gorgos.

SirGrumpyPants likes this.
  14. SirGrumpyPants

SirGrumpyPants A little grumpy

[​IMG]

ev0k and Abrilete like this.
  15. Abrilete

What we should really get is the Gorgos Pilot, because (like the Gorgos) the Kiel-Saan's Inactive Symbiont Armour profile is S2.

16. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

I mean it's not very good, sure, but I still always wanted to make it work.

SirGrumpyPants and Abrilete like this.
  17. TheRedZealot

TheRedZealot Well-Known Member
    Warcor

The gorgos is legitimately good unit. It just doesnt bring alot of tools that you cant get elsewhere easily. Still worth a buy if you like TAGs.

18. Vanderbane

Man, I leave for a day…

Contra the juxtaposition with @Cothel ’s great thread from today, I’ll note that while my original theory was floated with some trepidation it was not intended to be positive or negative (as I’ve mentioned many times), just predictive of what would happen to the Tohaa Faction going forward. On that point, I think we all did pretty well at predicting things thematically.

But based on today’s revelations, I wanted to touch on three (TOHAA!) points.

1. This is the best MRRFing imaginable. Like, MRRFing Plus Plus. We get a slew of new profiles and models while they retire Tohaa for the foreseeable future. This is a good trade. Those new profiles/models are good for enhancing Tohaa Faction play. This is better than what I expect for QK later this week, and better treatment than either ACA or MRRF got, and less disruptive than the JSA split. This should be the model for retiring a sectorial going forward (looking at you, NCA and Caledonia). In terms of Spiral, everything but the name looks rad (and the goofy name is kinda awesome in-universe. You're* the who? Spiral whatnow? Never heard of them ohgodwhyareyoushootingmewithviralpistols!).

And here’s my favorite part: any new Tohaa players will be _Triumvirate_ players! There will also be the old guard players of Tohaa Trident (not me, I’m down to join the baddies). The meta level thinking here is really neat, b/c the story of the Triumvirate influence on the Tohaa will play out in the player base over time as well.

2. This is not a run-up to a rerelease of Tohaa, and it should not be. @Koni indicated there were no immediate plans for repacks. It doesn’t make story sense. And the SKUs they removed don’t make sense if they are bringing it back any time soon. If they were relaunching it, they would have A) maintained production of mainline Tohaa pieces that already have new sculpts, e.g., sukeuls, B) included more updated Tohaa mainline units in the Spiral box for overlap, and C) not written Daedalus' Fall to be about the closing of the gate. Tohaa Trident is done for awhile, and we need to be okay with that; hell, it might even be the Triumvirate that helped close the gate (we'll know soon).

We have _lots_ of exciting Tohaa list building to try out _and_ we have a whole new sectorial to play. These are very good things to keep both fresh. And Spiral looks viable as a straight Tohaa unit force, not just the mercs + tohaa junk list we all feared. The one painful thing for a Tohaa faction player is it means we’ll be proxying Taquels and Sakiels LRLs for awhile yet, but what else is new? And there’s new stuff coming: new Chaksa Longarms, Greif Operators, whatever Monstruckers are, when panO gets helots we do too, etc. Growth and models are coming.

3. When CB talks about shaking things up and SKUs and dated models, we need to hear story, sales, and design. Storywise they want to play up the HS vs. CA conflict, and Tohaa was always going to fight for the limelight as a HS ally. Spiral puts us in the middle of that conflict, sometimes helping HS (to help Tohaa), sometimes helping CA (to help Tohaa), which is great. Design-wise Tohaa Faction had some design features that were hard to expand against more recent sectorial armies (both better and worse). This is not just a balance problem, but also a player relations problem. If they make any change to Tohaa faction, everyone (tohaa and non-tohaa alike) complains. "We got nerfed!" "Not nerfed enough!". So to improve the balance going forward, Spiral is going to get built as a modern sectorial with all the profiles that would likely break Tohaa faction, and faction will get an injection of limited profiles that are safe updates. So Tohaa faction remains good (with maybe an AVA change and a few new toys) and Spiral entices us with new design options that we have to give up Makaul + Sukeul + Sakiel to get.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with this solution so far, and it makes sense with their long-term thinking. It’ll be interesting to see what Gencon brings. My money is now on Shas vs. a new unknown NA2 power - not Spiral. NA2 doesn't have a Battle Box yet, and it's about to have more sectorials than anything else). It’s a good way forward for us Tohaa players, and now it’s up to you old guard guys to convince those of us who have gone full Triumvirate to get back in line.

edit: grammar

#198 Vanderbane, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    DukeofEarl, wendigo, xagroth and 4 others like this.
  19. meikyoushisui

meikyoushisui Competitor for Most Ignored User

I would say it the Gorgos were designed in the post-Daiyokai era, it probably would have been an S5 HI. Being an HI would solve a lot of the Gorgos' problems as well...

xagroth and ChoTimberwolf like this.
  20. Abrilete

Well, at least it would stop being the only non-repairable TAG (and yes, I'm intentionally forgetting the one-shot Symbiobomb).

Ben Kenobi likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation