1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

International Women's Day

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by mameluke, Mar 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Damnable double post

2. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

Played X-Wing and Infinity and all women where admitted wormly and with respect.
    And the other part are you mixing in without any evidence.
    How many woman you know who play other wargames?

If somebody don't like the combat heels it is his good right. But please let the hypocritical argument of woman who could be perhaps be deterred out of this discussion.

Kahlain likes this.
  3. Quirk

Quirk squirrel
    Warcor

Our gaming club is only for bearded people by the way. No beard => no membership! I don't know of any single beardless member who has any problem with that policy.

Solar likes this.
  4. Kahlain

Kahlain Greeble-Faust investigator

How about we get some actual WOMEN's opinions on this? FWIW, I asked my wife.
    1. She likes the way heels look, but dislikes that they cause arch and calf pain. She continues to buy heels in an attempt to find some that look good, but do not hurt. She further stated that the entire concept of the "Objectification" of women is an overly simplistic view of a deeply nuanced topic.

2. Regarding gaming, she describes it as intrinsically a "testosterone festival." She has gamed in multiple RPG campaigns: the players in these games were 100% mature pair bonded adults, and yet she got the above impression... She found the "...inevitable quibbling over made up rules -- with Zero impact on Reality -- tedious and pointless." She states gaming is not for her. Nor is it for most of the women she knows. She flatly said "That's crazy," regarding any efforts to ever get more women into gaming.

3. Finally -- as a complete aside -- Infinity is based upon ANIME. Combat heels are part of the GENRE. If you don't like it, File Your Combat Heels Off. Or Do NOT buy those Models.
    3a. Some of us are fine with Combat Heels: We do NOT view them as an objectification of Women -- Nor as pointed out above -- do Actual Women. Stop Attempting To Force Us To Fall Into Line With YOUR Ideology.
    3b. Every time this subject comes up, CB reins in the "sexy-ness" of their models. This ANNOYS me: it has directly lead to me buying less CB product. Why? I do NOT have a problem with Maximus looking like he over did the Combat Enhancements. Nor do I mind when CB sculpts the ladies to also be exaggeratedly sexy. Do I Hate and Objectify BOTH women and men? Nope! I am OLD and Near-Sighted! Exaggerated details are the only details I can SEE in the middle of a minis game.

So, take it from an Old Fart. RELAX! Enjoy life. Understand that Other People are under Zero Obligation to agree with you -- On Anything! And try to respect their alternate point of view: By Not attempting to force them to comply with your whims.

As you can see, I have given you some pointers -- above -- on how you can avoid using Combat Heels, as you clearly do not like them. I can respect that, But Will Only Respect that to the extent YOU respect my Love of Combat Heels. Infinity is a great community, and a big community. Let's make room both for those who Love and Hate Combat Heels!

TaHu, archon, chromedog and 4 others like this.
  5. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Oh, shit.

Someone just restarted the Objectification Thread of Doom(tm).

Here we go again.

One pair of my combat boots has 2" heels. Much taller than that is outright dangerous in combat.

The Bubblegum Crisis Knight Sabers only looked like they were wearing heels, their armor had extensions under the feet but their feet were flat.

Errhile, Kahlain and FatherKnowsBest like this.
  6. Kahlain

Kahlain Greeble-Faust investigator

How do I petition CB to add this to the list of Crash Landings? I/e, anyone who brings this topic up is figuratively "tossed out an airlock."

7. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

I like them – combat heels are fun, from an aesthetic and setting point of view.

I don't think it's very fair of anyone here to say that they are objectifying or theyre not objectifying. The simple fact is that there is no objective point of view here – it's entirely a case by case basis and to add to that, really only the opinion of women matter on this subject since it is their cultural problem and not ours.

If you ask me, CB seems pretty conscious of women's issue and even go out of their way to support them. I'm certain they have female designers on the team that these minis and designs pass through

YTonic likes this.
  8. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

9. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Honestly can we just sticky this part to the forum and make it auto-reply on every single damn post that complain about this subject?
    Seriously, it's like listening to those insufferable people who insists that there should be female space marines because anything else is sexist.

This is like me going to a fishmonger and complain that there aren't any non-seafood options. I'd be asked to leave and go find a non-seafood establishment. I don't understand what's hard to understand about this.

#29 Zewrath, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Kahlain, TaHu and FatherKnowsBest like this.
  10. FatherKnowsBest

FatherKnowsBest Red Knight of Curmudgeon

The Tarrasque hath arisen!

11. Knauf

Knauf Transhumanist

"Infinity is a tabletop wargame that uses 28 mm metal miniatures to simulate skirmishes, battles and special operations in a sci-fi setting influenced by futuristic manga aesthetics."

These things are part of the setting and it's the designers' prerogative to use this style whenever they feel it's adequate. Also, there are quite a lot of female miniatures without combat heels and more "practical" looking equipment in Infinity, so can always just buy those, if this is actually bugging you.

Kahlain and FatherKnowsBest like this.
  12. mameluke

mameluke Active Member

That’s the problem, they stopped making the more practical models. Old ariadna models didn’t have combat heels, e.g. Uxia, old lone kazak, etc. now every single N3 female Ariadna model has combat heels. It hasn’t always been this way, it’s a design shift from CB, and to me, it’s a negative one.

Can anyone find me a picture of a soldier wearing combat heels apart from 17th century cavalry?

You can’t even find heels at the gym, let alone on a battlefield. It looks absurd.

Confusion likes this.
  13. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I don’t want to distract from the terribly important arguing that is going on, but I’m pretty sure there isn’t a Tankhunter rifle sculpt, let alone a female one.

14. mameluke

mameluke Active Member

15. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Oh, is that from Coldfront? I haven’t seen that box in person and I couldn’t find the sculpt online.

16. mameluke

mameluke Active Member

Yeah, it's an amazing model aside from the combat wedge heels and the tiny child sized backpack.

toadchild likes this.
  17. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

As for tiny backpacks... I've spent some time using a tiny backpack myself (TT Essential Pack 1st gen, various sources list it between 6 and 10 liters). It was fine, though I found it a bit too small (especially when I had to carry a manpack radio set in addition to my other kit... also, for some situations in EDC).

Hydration packs can be even smaller. Still used by troops.

From a practical point of view, why bother hauling a 60-80-110 liter monster, if a 20-30l daypack is all you need? Why carry a 20l daypack, if all you need for backpack is to house your hydration bladder and maybe some food items?
    Most of your usable-in-a-fight gear is going to be in your webbing (beltkit, chest rig or load-bearing vest) anyway, in places where you can reach to without taking stuff off yourself (or asking your buddy to go digging in your pack). It is damn awkward taing your pack off all the time...

Now, if you'd show us a pic of the back of this mini, I could perhaps tell more.
    For example, most of the recent Ariadna (Grunts, Minutemen, Caledonian Volunteers from what I was able to see) models tended to carry packs clearly inspired by Maxpedition Falcon model, and I've seen these (or their knockoffs) being made in 15, 20 and 30-liter range. Perhaps 25 and 10 too, I'm not sure.
    I'd gauge those on the minis to be in the 15-20 liter range.

I can't see what the Line Kazaks carry, sorry.
    However, the boots on the SWC pack of Line Kazak models seem to be a high-laced combat boots, nothing atypical there, and no combat heels either. Not having seen the model form the starter from close up, I can't say whether she has "combat heels" or she's simply having her right foot standing on her toes only.

#37 Errhile, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  18. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Ask the male miniatures. It's not about 100l, it's about warp space backpacks.

Compare here (image by @Modock):
    [​IMG]
    Also same rifle shape, different size? More warp space. It's not that they pick different models, but that sex creates a space distortion field.

Rizzy, Section9 and mameluke like this.
  19. mameluke

mameluke Active Member

Errhile, I actually just finished painting the Kazak SWC box. While the boots are all laced up, for the female models, they’re all wedge heels. Like this:

upload_2019-3-9_23-2-47.jpeg

Kahlain and Errhile like this.
  20. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

What changed since yesterday, whould like to see how many puppet socks where made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation