1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infinity Writing Contest - WarGarage.org

Discussion in 'News' started by taylor, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to reading all of the stories!

Golem2God and Wolf like this.
  2. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Feel free to post anything you want about your story. It is not a secret. You can even post your entire story if you'd like.

There are no secrets. As you can see, one of the stories os already posted on wargarage -

http://wargarage.org/english/knives...willett-a-story-for-infinity-writing-contest/

Others will follow shortly.

AdmiralJCJF, DaRedOne and Wolf like this.
  3. oldGregg

oldGregg Well-Known Member

I thought one of the stipulations was that submissions could not be published elsewhere? Or was it just that they couldn’t be published before submission?

DaRedOne likes this.
  4. DaRedOne

DaRedOne Morat Warrior Philosopher
    Warcor

I'm with @oldGregg here. I thought we couldn't post or publish the stories out of the contest, at least not until the constest winners are announced at least.

Mine was a very 'contained' piece. It's a very closed circle story that takes place over maybe 2 hours. Probably very easy to figure out which one is it by the tittle alone.

However, I am surprised at the number of submissions. 15 stories is quite a lot.

5. scott581

scott581 Member

• By submitting the stories for the contest, the participants agree to assign the rights of the story and the characters created for it to Corvus Belli SL. The Author will receive proper credits when his or her story is published.
    Once submitted, the stories do not belong to the authors anymore, and they effectively have no ownership or control over them. I think the confusion stems from the split between wargarage and corvus belli proper. While interlinked, they are two separate masters.

6. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

You cans can talk about them - its really fine. Im totally greenlighting you to do that if want to discuss your story or the contents. :+1:

... and yeah... 15 is a lot of submissions. Hah hah hah.

AdmiralJCJF and Wolf like this.
  7. scott581

scott581 Member

Are there any updates on when/where the pseudo-anthology will appear?

Wolf and oldGregg like this.
  8. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

We all seem to feel a bit leery about our stories, but given @taylor's assurances, I'll start the ball rolling. :smile:

So my story is Losing my Religion, which 'logline' read like this.

The first thing I'd say is that I really wish I'd had @oldGregg write that instead of me. I don't think it's a very good representation of the story and, since he was helping me from the outset, I'm sure he'd have done a better job. So it goes.

Still, the story is about a Crusader who having been resurrected after an unlikely battlefield death finds he doesn't actually believe any more, which is partly what I wanted to write about. I've long been interested in emergent conditions - complex arisals from multiple conditions that might themselves be dynamic. My personal feeling is that religious beliefs are such arisals, and that if only a little bit of information were to get lost in the underlying conditions, then the arisal of the belief wouldn't happen.

The central idea is that not everything was copied in high enough fidelity to also transfer perfect physical talent and the same zealous faith as he had in his old body and mind.

A friend of mine was a devout fundamentalist Christian who managed to lose his faith whilst actually leading a praise and worship meeting at church! He's said to me that he was halfway through a song and suddenly thought "Wait a minute; this is all bollocks!" He lost his faith right there and then, kept a straight face during the rest of the meeting, and just never went back again. I've always been fascinated by this kind of thing - one minute a fundamentalist, the next, a complete atheist.

So my central character is called Daniel Ngata. Daniel being a Christian Old Testament name, and Ngata, to suggest Maori ancestry in the Pan Oceanian region. I'd originally written a great deal about his childhood being raised in the church, and identifying strongly with his forbear. That all had to be cut out for the final version, sadly. I think it made more sense of why he was such a zealot, and so why losing his faith was such a problem.

Then the Maori tie-in is because I was interested in the Maori concept of 'mana' which (they say) is about standing strong in your heritage - knowing who you are and where you're from. I wanted Daniel to be having a crisis of faith and a crisis of confidence following his resurrection. So his body doesn't respond properly, so he's off balance physically; and he doesn't know who he is any more - he's lost his mana, so he's off balance spiritually.

The other big draw about the Crusader was that I just love the model, and (although I'm not playing much Pan O these days) is pretty much my favourite unit. Drop in; kill the enemy; screw up his Order Pool; camp the objective. As long as I've owned the models, I've harboured the fantasy that I might somehow make a full set of Crusader Brethren armour, and turn up at a tournament ready to play!

9. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I just finished reading all the stories and gave wargarage my rankings. Some of them really were hard because they were so good. I'll ask the guys at wargarage when they plan on posting.

They're out of Venezuela, so I'm going to ask that you guys have a bit of patience. As I'm sure you've heard, Venezuela is experiencing some challenges at the moment.

Wolf, Abrilete and oldGregg like this.
  10. DaRedOne

DaRedOne Morat Warrior Philosopher
    Warcor

Okay, I'm gonna bit the bullet. My story was called 'One Riot', This was my logline:

During the Wotan Conflict the Nomad nations sent out the Don Peyotte converted frigate to help with the war effort. The Official Mission of the Don Peyotte was to reinforce the Blockade; rescue survivors form the LaForja crash, and safeguard Nomad interests in the Wotan region.

However, the Don Peyotte was a target for attack by many forces, including several flash raids by the Combined Army, which seemed to fear the Pan Oceanian forces receiving reinforcements on the Sigtyr station, where the fate of the Wotan Blockade would be decided. In one such bloody raid, a squad of Riot Grrls would prove themselves instrumental in pushing back the Morat Assault.

This is the story of their small but pivotal contribution to the defense of the Don Peyotte.

The Story itself was focused on Rhona 'RD' Dmitry, a Riot Grrl who literally gets caught pants down during the assault and has to fight her way back to her squad. It's an action piece first and foremost, but I thought I could show more of the Riot's character through action than any other aspect. Besides, it allowed me to indulge in a bit of armor and tech descriptions, which is something I always find lacking in narratives.

Rhona is a character based on my MULTI-Rifle Riot Grrl, who's quickly becoming one of the top killers in my games thanks to the versatility of the MULTI rifle combined with the Riot Grrl gear. I've written about her before, quite a few times even, and the fact she and her friends were in Wotan was mentioned several times in their stories, so I figured it would make for a fun writing exercise anyways.

Besides, it's been joked that I only write about Riot Grrls and Morats, so why not bring them together? :D

taylor and Wolf like this.
  11. scott581

scott581 Member

Logline:

Amidst the Japanese rebellion on Dawn, a Nomad strike team infiltrates a Yu Jing research facility occupied by the Japanese. Using a Chinese counterattack as distraction, the Nomads conceal themselves from both sides as they attempt to steal vital state secrets. However, the team becomes trapped within the revolutionary fight and must escape undetected.

taylor and Wolf like this.
  12. Wolf

@infoholico @taylor Could we have some more of the submissions published at Wargarage for us to read, please?

oldGregg likes this.
  13. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I would love to - but as mentioned, I work for Corvus, not wargarage. I'll send a message to then to see what they can do.

Full disclosure, @infoholico lives in Venezuela - and things have gotten pretty crazy there over the past few months. Still, I'll see if he can upload them soon. :)

14. Wolf

I could've been clearer if I'd replied to this, since it linked us to Chris Willet's story, and promised more.
    So it's Infoholico who is at Wargarage, and he who would manage further publications at that site?

15. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Yeah. Jeremy and myself are editors with Corvus Belli.

Wolf likes this.
  16. scott581

scott581 Member

I don't suppose there have been any publication updates...?

Wolf likes this.
  17. scott581

scott581 Member

wargarage.org (Spanish translation)

ABOUT THE INFINITY LITERARY COMPETITION As we have been able to appreciate, it has been a very busy week for Corvus Belli, it is not surprising the time it has taken for the members of the jury to evaluate the stories sent for our literary contest, since fortunately the response was abundant. But do not worry that we are in the process of evaluation and as soon as we have the notes of all our jurors we will publish the results, each story must be read by each member of the jury in order to make the best possible decision so I ask for a little patience and do not think that we have forgotten.

DaRedOne and Wolf like this.
  18. Wolf

That’s good feedback, thank you @scott581

And may I ask if the jurors received the bottle of good single malt whisky I sent them? :wink:

19. scott581

scott581 Member

20. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation