1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you use Thorakitai Links?

Discussion in 'ALEPH' started by Golem2God, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

As the title states, how do you Steel Phalanx players run and use Thorakitai links? What character do you use to form the fireteam and what loadouts do you place into the link? What are Thorakitai good at accomplishing and providing to a list at any point level?

Any comments or critiques are helpful as I'm currently looking into buying parts need to build my own Thorakitai. Thanks in advance to the Aleph community at large.

2. Omen

Omen Active Member

Thorakitai are excellent in season 10 mi troop with forward deployment. I like running alke with 2 fo and a Feuerbach for a aro defence and alke is great to help push up the table. Burst 5 active with bs 13.
    Or I’ll use thrasmadites in a link with fo paramedic and an hmg. Thras makes a cheep or second version of Phoenix ..

Golem2God likes this.
  3. Golem2God

How about Hector? Or is he too expensive compared to Alke or Thrasymedes?

Omen likes this.
  4. Omen

Omen Active Member

Hector is my go to always with steel phalanx. I’ve never run him with Thorakitai, but infinity is a game that for me is the rule of cool take what ya like and learn to use that piece.
    Hector is good in any link with the right support. Hmg or alke to help push up the table to happy plasma range. And hector can beat up a lot of stuff in close combat That threatens Thorakitai up close.

Hope this helps,

Golem2God likes this.
  5. Omen

Omen Active Member

here is a list Ive been running lately. you could easily add hector to the 3 man thorakitai link.

Steel team
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]9
    HECTOR Lieutenant Plasma Rifle, Nanopulser, Stun Grenades + 1 TinBot A / Heavy Pistol, EXP CC Weapon. (0 | 71)
    MYRMIDON Chain Rifle, Nanopulser, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW. (0 | 16)
    MACHAON Combi Rifle, Nanopulser, Eclipse Grenades / Pistol, DA CCW. (0.5 | 38)
    PHOENIX Heavy Rocket Launcher, Nanopulser, Smoke Grenades / Heavy Pistol, DA CCW. (2 | 40)
    NETROD Electric Pulse. (0 | 4)
    NETROD Electric Pulse. (0 | 4)
    THRASYMEDES (Fireteam: Enomotarchos) Submachine gun, Light Rocket Launcher, Nanopulser, Stun Grenades / Pistol, Shock CCW. (0.5 | 30)
    THORAKITES (Forward Observer, 360º Visor) Submachine gun, Chain Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 13)
    THORAKITES Engineer Combi Rifle, Nanopulser, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 18)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]4
    ALKÊ Spitfire, Nanopulser / Pistol, CCW. (1.5 | 25)
    THORAKITES Submachine gun, Light Rocket Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 15)
    THORAKITES (Forward Observer, 360º Visor) Submachine gun, Chain Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 13)

5.5 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Other litter model count Second list from my iPad not sure why it shows like that.

[​IMG] Steel team 6──────────────────────────────────────────────────[​IMG]10 [​IMG] HECTOR Lieutenant Plasma Rifle, Nanopulser, Stun Grenades + 1 TinBot A / Heavy Pistol, EXP CC Weapon. (0 | 71)[​IMG] MYRMIDON Chain Rifle, Nanopulser, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW. (0 | 16)[​IMG] MACHAON Combi Rifle, Nanopulser, Eclipse Grenades / Pistol, DA CCW. (0.5 | 38)[​IMG] PHOENIX Heavy Rocket Launcher, Nanopulser, Smoke Grenades / Heavy Pistol, DA CCW. (2 | 40)[​IMG] DIOMEDES Mk12, Nanopulser / Assault Pistol, DA CCW. (0 | 43)[​IMG] ALKÊ Spitfire, Nanopulser / Pistol, CCW. (1.5 | 25)[​IMG] THORAKITES (Forward Observer, 360º Visor) Submachine gun, Chain Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 13)[​IMG] THORAKITES (360º Visor) Submachine gun, Chain Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 12)[​IMG] THORAKITES Engineer Combi Rifle, Nanopulser, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 18)[​IMG] THAMYRIS Hacker (Hacking Device) Pitcher, Nanopulser / Assault Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 24) 4.5 SWC | 300 PointsOpen in Infinity Army

#5 Omen, Feb 28, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Golem2God likes this.
  6. Golem2God

@Omen Thank you for the lists. I'll have to keep them in mind when designing my own lists. How have these lists faired in games you've played?

7. Kortz

Kortz Well-Known Member

Thorakitai are great! Love the Feuerbach with Alke and the HMG with Chandra, that way you have an option of powerful shots and a burst 5 on both Fireteams. The other two usually it is a FO and maybe a second one or the engineer. Another one that I like is Chandra with the LRL plus two FO for a defensive and cheap Fire team OR Alke with two FO and a Paramedic for a cheap attack Fire team.

Hector with Thorakitai isn´t bad but find that he moving 4-4 eventually makes it awkward, as he sometimes is limited in movement by the Thorakitai trying to keep up. Also for his price, you want it doing some stuff so he cannot be just sitting in the back. With that said, Hector with an engineer, a paramedic and the Feuerbach is a fire team that I am quite fond of, but expensive on points.

Made the fire team’s I am talking so you can compare them better:

Steel Phalanx

[​IMG]4

THORAKITES Feuerbach, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 22)

3 SWC | 73 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Steel Phalanx

[​IMG]4

THRASYMEDES (Fireteam: Enomotarchos) Submachine gun, Light Rocket Launcher, Nanopulser, Stun Grenades / Pistol, Shock CCW. (0.5 | 30)

THORAKITES HMG, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 22)

THORAKITES Engineer Combi Rifle, Nanopulser, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 18)

2 SWC | 83 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Steel Phalanx

[​IMG]4

THORAKITES (360º Visor) Submachine gun, Chain Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 12)

1.5 SWC | 70 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Steel Phalanx

[​IMG]4

THORAKITES Paramedic (Medikit, 360º Visor) Submachine gun, Chain Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14)

1.5 SWC | 65 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Steel Phalanx

[​IMG]4

HECTOR Lieutenant Plasma Rifle, Nanopulser, Stun Grenades + 1 TinBot A / Heavy Pistol, EXP CC Weapon. (0 | 71)

1.5 SWC | 124 Points

Open in Infinity Army

They are a great unit to watch your back and flanks. In addition, for their price and ARM they are a good bet against strong ARO pieces with fancy equipment like MSV. They are frenzy so one must be careful if they become impetuous.

Golem2God likes this.
  8. Káosz Brigodéros

Káosz Brigodéros Vanguard, Inc.

I use both named character as a leader. I always take the SMG loadout Thoras with 360 visor. In case the mission is killy and button-pushing is not required I usually take the bare 12-points loadout. If the mission is button-pushing or heavy on classifieds, I take one FO and one medic.
    Kill Team

[​IMG]6

2 SWC | 103 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Mission Accomplished

[​IMG]6
    THORAKITES Paramedic (Medikit, 360º Visor) Submachine gun, Chain Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14)

2 SWC | 109 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Basically the big gunners (Alke and Thrasy) will do most of the firefighting. Fielding a fourth trooper is superfluous because them 360 visors make Sixth Sense almost useless. Just keep it cheap. When (not if) the heavy hitters bite the bullet, I put the Thoras in Suppressive Fire mode. ARM3 BS12 religious troopers in SF mode (especially in cover) are not easy to dislodge. Shock or AP ammo is pretty ace.

Golem2God likes this.
  9. Omen

Omen Active Member

so far it has worked well against a combined avatar LI list and and vanhilla haqq in engineering deck. didnt hurt the avatar just went after its support. and hid inside the objective room with hector and 2 thorakitai. I havnt played the second list yet been busy teaching teaching infinity at our local gaming group 5 new players in the last month demo games 2 nights a week. so havnt had much of a chance to roll out my aleph in awhile.

Golem2God likes this.
  10. locksmith

locksmith comlog active

My phalanx lists are almost always 3 parts
    • Myrm team based entirely on mission. Usually Phoenix/Machaon or Eudoros/Machaon, sometimes all 3.
    • Thork team somewhat based on mission. Always Alke and 2 chain rifles. Engineer or Thrasymedes depending available points. Sometimes the chain rifles are FOs or Medics.
    • 2 'solo' pieces, usually diomedes and scylla, sometimes Ekdro + Evo.
    I'll also bet some drachmas @Savant has some smart perspectives on this question.

Savant and Golem2God like this.
  11. Golem2God

A neat trick that most people would overlook. It will save me some points and room for other pieces.

Wyrmnax and Káosz Brigodéros like this.
  12. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

That's debatable as the protection from Surprise Shot/Attack and Smoke shenanigans is pretty handy.

Golem2God and Káosz Brigodéros like this.
  13. natetehaggresar

natetehaggresar Senior Backlogged Painter Manager

Or if someone ADs behind you or similar. Sixth sense only works if you're attacked.

Golem2God and Káosz Brigodéros like this.
  14. Káosz Brigodéros

Those shenangians tend to target the weak point (Thoras with short-ranged SMGs instead of Alke or Thrasy) of the fireteam first anyway. As soon as the first Thora goes down, Alke or Thrasy would lose sixth sense and becomes next target... But I see your point nevertheless. Moreover I find maneuvering around three troopers in ZoC cumbersome enough. I do not want to drag a fourth trooper around.

Golem2God likes this.
  15. DukeofEarl

Personally I like to set up my short range units, watching short range paths so they are less likely to be outranged. I'd still take that order sink and the redundancy of keeping the burst bonus in the situation.

I was merely pointing out the flaw that SSL2=360. It is both better and weaker depending on the situation

Káosz Brigodéros and Golem2God like this.
  16. Omen

Omen Active Member

I like the 4th member simply because I expect to loose one, hopefully cost your opponent more orders if he wants to take that extra burst from you.. and I find it easier to have overlapping fields of fire..

Again always depends on your play style. I play my phalanx as a mid table control army and we have a lot of limited insertion list in my area

Your local meta will always shape your play style

Káosz Brigodéros and Golem2God like this.
  17. Káosz Brigodéros

Cuz your a good player and I'm not.
    Your point regarding the usefulness of SSL2 is well understood. But I don't believe the pros outweight the benefits. You can take a whopping four three-man fireteam in addition to Atalanta and two Netrods, but if you beef up the fireteams to four men, you will lose the Netrods and/or Atalanta. I believe the disadvantage outweight the advantage. Is all.
    Regarding the remark of @Omen I agree this hugely depends on playstyle. I tend to play SP very agressively smashing my opponent with sheer firepower instead of controlling the midfield. Oh, I just hate limited insertion. (Our TOs love this format. I can't imagine, why...)

DukeofEarl, Golem2God and Omen like this.
  18. DukeofEarl

Only on paper. It all falls apart when I hit the table

Káosz Brigodéros likes this.
  19. Wyrmnax

Wyrmnax Well-Known Member

I like 3 men thorakitai. Don't usually go for 4 because the bonus that 6th sense gives over the 360 visor is minor.

Thrasimedes > Alke > Hector for me too. Hector is good, but he is just way too expensive and better off linked with Dactyls for medics / engineer anyway. Thrasimedes is fantastic, and can easily be a pointman. Alke is decent and can do the pointman job too, even if a HMG thora would do it better. Once the pointman dies, put the other guys in supperssive in the middle of the table. They are not trivial to get past.

Usually I only bring up FOs or paramedic thoras. I find that I hardly ever get big guns - there are way too many swc spent on myrmidons and both officers have weapons that are good enough on their own. SP could really use a generic thorakitai officer that came withouth the extra SWC weapon so the heavy weapon thoras would be useful...

20. archon

archon Well-Known Member

I like Thrasymedis as the leader, because he is cheaper in SWC and brings ODD. He is good for a active team and a ARO team. Alke is the choice for an active team with high burst because of her spitfire. So you could run an aggressive team with Spitfire, HMG and FO or para and a defensiv one with Thrasy, Feuerbach and FOs. I would alway run a full team because of SSL2 and to have one model as an ablative armour.

My choice would be: Thrasy, HMG, MMR, FO

The FO Thora is a very good single piece to keep watch the edges of your DZ. So you can easily build an 8 Thora List with Alke and Thrasy but it will eat up all your SWC for 300 pts.

For fun - all at once:

Steel Phalanx

[​IMG]10
    THORAKITES HMG, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 22)
    THORAKITES Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 14)
    THORAKITES Marksman Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 15)

6 SWC | 187 Points

Open in Infinity Army

Golem2God likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation