1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your Favorite Anime/Manga?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by harshill2545, Jan 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

For Gundam, you can try watching "Gundam 00" (two seasons + a movie). This series isn't based on any previous series, so you don't need any previous knowledge of the series, you can watch it on its own.

Space Dandy is fun and VERY weird.

Koin-Koin and jherazob like this.
  2. FatherKnowsBest

FatherKnowsBest Red Knight of Curmudgeon

Hard pass on that movie. It was pretty terrible.

Abrilete likes this.
  3. breaker_breaker

breaker_breaker New Member

Starblazers/ Space Battleship Yamato and Space Pirate Captain Harlock, because I'm old and it's where it all began for me.
    Robotech, Appleseed, Dominion Tank Police, Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Vampire Hunter D are all very close. Nostalgia hitting me like a wave right now.

4. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

And because of that people had made things like this. Sharing as a link because the image is simply too big to embed here.

TL;DR: There's several "timelines" across the license which are self-consistent. Gundam Wing had one (the "After Colony" timeline), 00 another (the "Anno Domini" one), G Gundam and it's awesome super robot inspired hotblooded weirdness had another ("Future Colony"), and so on, you can watch all the series in a given continuity and they'll be self-consistent and you won't be missing anything.

If in doubt, the "Universal Century" continuity is by far the richest and most developed, and the series generally known as the best in the franchise (like War in the Pocket or 08th MS Team) are in there, not to mention the granddaddy itself (which honestly hasn't aged that well, a remaster with current animation standards and quality would benefit it). Plus it's still being developed, just this year i think there's going to be another series in the same continuity.

Additionally, the "Builders" series are completely apart from it all, it's actually a hypothetical "near future" of our world where somehow we have the technology to make the actual plastic Gundam models move, shoot, fly, etc. in order to beat the everliving crap of each other, and for some reason it's the most popular sport in the world. The first season of Build Fighters was good, the second not as much but still OK, and Build Divers instead feels derivative and cliched but not that bad to pass time if needed. The more you know about the general Gundam universe, the more you'll enjoy these because they're chock-full of references, both overt and subtle, to everything in the franchise, so a rewatch after watching more series in the franchise will be rewarding. (Note: if this general concept of battles using physical toys appeals to you, you might also enjoy Angelic Layer).

Final note: Quite a few of the series and movies are officially and legally hosted on Sunrise's Gundaminfo Youtube channel, so check there first, although i'm pretty sure the diverse anime-oriented streaming services out there (Crunchyroll plus the other US-only ones, there might be more but thsose are the ones i know of) also have the same content if you prefer that. For the ones that aren't, you'll have to sail the seven seas if you want to watch them without buying DVD/BluRay.

FatherKnowsBest and Koin-Koin like this.
  5. FatherKnowsBest

Have you not seen the Gundam The Origin series? It's awesome. They just need to now re-do the original in the same manner.

A Mão Esquerda and jherazob like this.
  6. jherazob

I'm sloooooooowly going through UC, currently near the beginning of ZZ, so haven't gotten to The Origin yet.

7. FatherKnowsBest

It's awesome.

I've seen.....too much. lol

The only thing that I felt was awful in the Gundam line was Reconguista in G.

jherazob likes this.
  8. jherazob

Many, many people share your G-Reco preferences, usually in a very vocal manner, yet it has fans who defend it with the same volume :joy:
    I haven't seen it so can't say anything yet. What seems to be an unanimous opinion is that the MS designs of the series were good, which is all some people care about as their main hobby is the models.

9. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I was pleasantly surprised by this new show Gen: Lock.

The animation is pretty different but cool. The mech and armor is great, and so far a pretty good story.

Cothel, chromedog, Deltervees and 2 others like this.
  10. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Titania.

Koin-Koin and jherazob like this.
  11. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

Sugimoto is the best!

12. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips.
    But once again nothing nearby :/
    I'm ok to watch a movie in Japanese with subtitles but for series I appreciate a dubbed version.
    I could easily follow something in English but it doesn't make sense to me to watch something in an intermediary language. I'm all original or local.

It seems that the French public is more fantasy oriented lately. So little space/futuristic titles published.

13. leigen_zero

leigen_zero Morat Pacifist

Ok so I don't do manga (I've never been really into comic books/graphic novels/etc, no criticism of the format(s) I just don't gel with it unless I really dig the franchise), but my top 3 anime:

Black Lagoon (still need to get round to watching Roberta's Blood Trail)
    Legend of Black Heaven (Hard Rock Save the Space!)
    and I'm probably going to get ridiculed for this one: Tenchi Muyo

To be honest, since I left Uni I hardly watch anime any more, don't know why 30-year-old me just doesn't get the same buzz of it that 21-year-old me did. Have been enjoying some of the new ones that Netflix are cranking out, Knights of Sidonia, Arpeggio of Blue Steel and the Castlevania one

jherazob and FatherKnowsBest like this.
  14. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

Saiyuki and Trigun are at the top of my list.

15. Koin-Koin

I finally found it on a legal streaming platform in french.
    It seems to be a 12 episode reboot with several movies coming later.
    The orignal series seems to be a 130 something episodes but only 2 DVDs found from this aera :(

Were you refering to the original or the more recent serie by the way ?

16. Janzerker

Janzerker Well-Known Member

He probably meant the original serie (which has 110 episodes), which is considered a master production due to the deep description it makes of around 30 characters. Althougth keep in mind it dates from the 90's, therefore your eyes might bleed if you're used to the finesse of nowadays animations. The reboot stays quite trustworthy to the original but with 12 episodes, surprisingly, it just covers more or less the same number of episodes from the original. That being said nowadays 3D animation techniques fit perfectly an anime of that kind (space battleship warfare) and the result is gorgeous. I would recommend you to start watching the 12 episodes of the reboot if anything to enjoy the pure eye-candy and then start watching the original series. As I said you might find animation from original quite rough compared to nowadays but it's exactly the kind of anime you were requesting for.

#76 Janzerker, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    jherazob and Koin-Koin like this.
  17. Koin-Koin

Thanks for all those explanations.
    Watching such things as Harlock and Grendizer in the 70s I can easily watch some decent 90s anime series.
    But if my eyes can deal with that, I know my ears will bleed if I am put back in front of Minmay.

So I will definitely watch the new serie (btw there a 2 weeks free trial on the streaming platform).

chromedog likes this.
  18. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

She's not so bad in Macross, but the Robotech version is very painful.

Koin-Koin and Abrilete like this.
  19. jherazob

In the very strange case you haven't seen it yet, the Abridged series just recently finished, and it's a freaking masterpiece

20. Cac O'Daemon

Cac O'Daemon Member

Anime: Space Battleship Yamato 2199/2202 is currently my favorite.
    Manga: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is my favorite series, although Dungeon Meshi/Delicious in Dungeon is rapidly catching up to it.

jherazob likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation