1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is your Favorite Anime/Manga?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic English' started by harshill2545, Jan 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. harshill2545

harshill2545 New Member

MOD ACTION: SPAMBOT

#1 harshill2545, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2019
  2. DrunkCorsair

DrunkCorsair Well-Known Member

One Punch Man, i love that sort of humor.

Danger Rose and FatherKnowsBest like this.
  3. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

Cowboy Bebop rules !

4. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Armor Trooper Votoms.
    Or Maybe "Fang of the Sun, Battle Armor Dougram"

Further down the list comes the Appleseed stuff and BGC for their illustration of the cyberpunk millieu.

5. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

I cannot choose just one favourite anime, there are dozens that I like a lot and I cannot put one above the rest: "Evangelion", "Cowboy Bebop", "Ghost in the Shell", "Bakemonogatari", "Mononoke Hime", "Monster", "Full Metal Alchemist", Steins;Gate", "Parasyte", "Psycho-Pass", "Fate/Zero", "Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann", "Your Name", "Silent Voice", ...

Same problem when it comes to manga.

6. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Freaking same, i've loved all sorts of things over the years than trying to choose one seems like an exercise in futility

Koin-Koin and Abrilete like this.
  7. Koin-Koin

Basically I agree with everyone as choosing a favorite is pretty much saying "whatever else is just crap" but it's not.
    For me it's easy to choose Cowboy Bebop because I consider it as being complete in every aspect (story, direction, music, A.D., ...) but there is so many that deserved to be one anyone's favorite list.

I could easily develop mine, still it will be far from completion.

For instance, as the OT is Anime/Manga I reduce it to series only which remove any title in the movie format as:
    - any Gibli movie
    - Jin-Roh
    - Akira
    - GiTS
    - Gunnm
    - Venus War
    - Appleseed
    - Steamboy
    - [insert any obvious title]

For the series, I'll start to add to the list the ones that I'll re-watch each time I get the opportunity and those which had a strong impact on me.
    - Space Adventure Cobra (both original and new series) as an all time classic
    - Tri-Gun, so funny (cobra-like funny) but with such deep thoughts
    - Full Metal Alchemist, both entertaining and going so darker and darker as it develops
    - One Punch Man, so funny and ass-kicking
    - [obvious titles as anything related to GiTS, Lupin, ...]

Then I could ad those "I was a kid (but not that much) when I saw it" as:
    - City Hunter
    - Love Hina
    - Cyber City ODEO 808
    - BattleTech
    - Dominion Tank Police
    - You're Under Arrest
    - Mirai Keisatsu Urashiman (aka "Super Durand", "Midnight Submarine")

And there is those that I saw a bit by chance and enjoy
    - Full Metal Panic !
    - GTO
    - Vandread
    - Hunter X Hunter
    - Gantz
    - Overlord
    - FLCL
    - Initial D

I could go all day long with that (as most of us would)

#7 Koin-Koin, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  8. Pen-dragon

Pen-dragon Deva

This is going to come as no surprise, considering where I am posting.

Favorite Manga: Ghost in the Shell
    Favorite Anime: Ghost in the Shell: Stand alone complex.

9. Sedral

Sedral Jīnshān Task Force Officier

Anime: cowboy bebop

Manga: Vinland saga

10. Koin-Koin

Oh, I forgot the WTF section with titles like Excel Saga

Abrilete and jherazob like this.
  11. Xeurian

Xeurian Well-Known Member

I have a bad memory and as such, a horrible time remembering what my favourite anything is... I really should keep notes or something... Here are my favourites based on what I remember exists:

Favourite Anime: Kara no Kyoukai

Favourite Manga: Green Eyed Monsters (A short single manga fanmade origin story)

#11 Xeurian, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    jherazob likes this.
  12. Pierzasty

Pierzasty Null-Space Entity

Too many to list, but it I am gonna remedy the lack of Wings of Honneamise in the thread.

Cothel, Koin-Koin and jherazob like this.
  13. Danger Rose

Danger Rose The Wrecking Belles

Favorite of all time: Kyatto Ninden Teyandee! You may know them as the Samurai Pizza Cats.

Others not mentioned:

One Piece. That anime made me cry for a ship. A SHIP!

Kono subarashi sekai ni shikuu fuku wo (Konosuba for short). I laughed too much with this anime.

Manga:

Berserk. That is one messed up story in a painfully beautiful and detailed art.

Vinland Saga. Vikings. Nuff said.

McDevil, Koin-Koin and jherazob like this.
  14. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Gee, no surprise for Ghost in the Shell being high on my list, but it's really hard to really lock down even a single subgenre of anime/manga... In all honesty, I've been reading translated light novels more than watching things lately.

Scifi tends to win over fantasy for me in Anime/Manga, though I still have a fondness for what I pitch to other folks as 'the luckiest man in anime': Ai Yori Aoshi. Yes, it's a basic drama with some attempted harem elements (attempted from the girls POV, the dude is pretty solid on the one girl). No fantasy/magic, no scifi. Just a story of a guy so disgusted by his (very rich) family that he walks out on them and voluntarily gives up any inheritance, only to find that the little girl he was engaged to when they were little-little kids was still determined to be his. Even if that meant a fight with both their families to have him.

Full Metal Alchemist is another favorite (dunno whether to call alchemy science or fantasy). Full Metal Panic is fun. Gasaraki is a rather different take on the standard 'big robot' anime, there's a comment in the liner notes about how Bandai was not happy that there were so few mecha variants in this story. Just three good-guy versions and two bad-guy versions (they only made 2 good-guy and 1 bad-guy models, the differences are mostly in weapons).

Birdy The Mighty has been really fun (since the scanlators have finished the first run and are working on Evolution). The anime wasn't bad, and generally stayed close to the story overall, but it just barely got started on the setting.

And anyone who hasn't seen Wings of Honneamise needs to go watch that. NOW!!! (Evangelion is not GAINAX's magnum opus, it's just their money maker. Honneamise is GAINAX's magnum opus.)

15. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Oh, I tried to watch Wings - but I really couldn't get into it.

Same with the entire studio ghibli catalog. It just doesn't grab me by the balls and make me want to watch it.

16. Musterkrux

Musterkrux Well-Known Member

I love how you can carbon-date people on this forum based on what their favourite anime is,

Good to see we don't have too many people picking the current crap*.

Others have listed some really good shows. I also enjoyed:

Katanagatari (a martial artist teams up with a 'strategian' to collect the 12 or so 'deviant' blades forged by a long-dead evil genius. Great dialogue, amazing set pieces, lovely art style).
    Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere (sci-fi show, where humanity has suffered a calamity and is trying to work out what the hell happened by 'reenacting' history piece by piece. So, you get the Spanish Armada played out with giant flying battleships, etc etc).
    Macross (a little Robotech, as well, but I'm also counting Plus and Frontier, which Harmony Gold never got the rights to): Fighter-planes that transform into giant robots in a setting where the side that wins Space-War is the side with the best singing idols.
    Clannad After Story (but not the first season, which was harem-trash): Turing test. if you don't cry at least once, you're a robot.
    Kill la Kill: This or Gurren Lagaan. The content might turn some people away but once you get past it you'll realise the show has so much more heart than anything else you could be watching.

*To be fair, 98% of anime is crap and has always been crap, 1% is watchable and 1% is genuinely good.

#16 Musterkrux, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  17. jherazob

Oooooh, nice! I saw the Recode seasons (and now both openings are stuck in my head randomly switching between the two tunes, i'm OK with this) but didn't consider that the original manga was out there somewhere, i should look it up, any pointers?

That is way too harsh of an assessment, even not good series are nice to watch if you don't take them seriously, and some bad ones are great when you start doing MST3K commentary on them

Koin-Koin likes this.
  18. Koni

Koni BanHammer
    CB Staff

Manga: 20th Century Boys

Anime: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Special mention and hall of fame: Dragon Ball (yes, even Super)

19. jherazob

Yet again i gotta watch Super someday...

20. Musterkrux

Musterkrux Well-Known Member

Haha, maybe but I stand by my numbers. Anichart shows that there is about 50 shows running each season, I reckon 1, (2 at best) of them are worth watching, ironically or not. :)

That's a strike rate of 2-4%

Golem2God and jherazob like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation