1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New FAQ (v1.5)

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Koni, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Tom McTrouble

Tom McTrouble Well-Known Member

Not to get nit picky, but it has to cross the template, not the trigger area. You can't negate a mine if the civilian doesn't walk between the other active trooper and the mine. Otherwise the mine can just clip them in the foot without touching the civilian.

toadchild, DukeofEarl and Hecaton like this.
  2. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

At the risk of being pedantic, it's because the FAQ doesn't say anything about rewinding time or un-triggering mines so we don't know if it's intended to do that.

3. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

This has always existed and isn't something new just because we suddenly play with Civvies. If during your first move the mine triggers and on your second move you move into base contact with an enemy while still in base contact with the mine's template the mine will not trigger, either.

And then you have the Shoot Template, then Move Fireteam cancellations.

And now for the headache portion: Direct Template Weapons has a clause where the shooting trooper isn't affected, Impact Template do not. It is possible for a soldier to cancel their own Boarding Shotgun template by walking into the template or by getting into base to base with an enemy they shot at while the template is still touching the enemy in their final position.

The only thing new is that it's easier to manufacture this interaction in certain missions.

4. Hecaton

I was under the impression it would just cancel itself since it's already triggered.

5. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

It says, specifically, that if the Civilian enters the Mine's trigger area at any point during the Order, the Mine doesn't trigger. Doesn't say "on the First Short Movement Skill" or "Entire Order Skill" or "Second Short Skill", but at any point in the Order. So, if the Civilian enters the Mine's trigger area, it doesn't go off. It's already covered.

Dragonstriker likes this.
  6. A Mão Esquerda

You are absolutely correct, my mistake in my phrasing.

7. Hecaton

Yes but it doesn't say "If a civilian enters a mine's trigger area at any point, even if a mine has already been triggered..."

8. Andre82

Andre82 Well-Known Member

I swear if I ever get a chance to play them I am going to do this to them just to get this rule changed.

theradrussian likes this.
  9. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

Then why bother pointing out that it "never triggered" if it is "immaterial". Are you looking for a fight over semantics?

The situation posed gives you meta-level information that you did not have (as the mine would trigger as an ARO normally before being blocked by a Civ from triggering) and allows you to bypass certain game mechanisms. That is not insignificant.

The only way I can see to play the FAQ is to un-trigger it.

10. Hecaton

Absent other information, I agree, but that's why I posited the question in the first place - the situation is funky.

11. Nemo No Name

Nemo No Name Aleph Cultural Atache

You have the same situation when enemy moves close to mine, you place the template, they're out, so you go back to "nothing happened". Situation isn't that funky. It's still better than quantum dodge into mine.

AdmiralJCJF likes this.
  12. Mahtamori

Look, a mine triggering has a few effects. Now, aside that effects happen at the end of the order after skills have been declared, the fact that it doesn't trigger means that anything that happens because of triggering does not occur if the civvie (or friendly trooper) enters the template area, such as 1) removing the mine from play or 2) dealing damage.

Stating that the mine doesn't trigger does in fact imply that there is retro-activity involved, but it's also the simplest and most effective way of putting it. "Don't trigger the mine" means that all that happens is that you'll have to tell your opponent that it's a mine under the Marker.

13. Hecaton

@Mahtamori I don't really see the logic in saying it's not retroactive. Mines trigger when an order is declared, they aren't AROs, so they don't follow ARO timing. And once a mine triggers, it's removed from play. So technically how this works if a civilian walks into the trigger area of the mine in the second short skill is the mine triggers on the first short skill against the enemy trooper synched to the civilian, and is removed from the board. Then on the second skill the xenotech walks into the aoe, and it's replaced and re-camouflaged? I guess?

14. Mruczyslaw

Mruczyslaw AROnaut

So... Checking if camo is mine with civilian is legal.
    Great way to kill spitit of game wth camo game.
    Does Guthier knows? F**** shame. #xenomeh

15. A Mão Esquerda

No, because it doesn't trigger at all. If the Civilian enters the template at any point during the Order, it's not triggered. So, when in the Resolution step, the Mine has never been triggered, so there is nothing to resolve. The Civilian entering the template means it didn't trigger.

Dragonstriker and chromedog like this.
  16. A Mão Esquerda

However, the only place the effect of the Mine is resolved is at the end of the Order. If the Civilian, as stated, has entered the Mine's template at any point, it didn't trigger. What's the difficulty?

"I MOV this trooper and my Xenotech up as the first Short Movement Skill of my Order."

"OK, this Camo marker is a Mine and will trigger, in addition to any other valid AROs available."

"OK, I will now MOV the trooper and the Xenotech, with the Xenotech crossing the Mine's template area as my second Short Movement Skill."

"OK, then the Mine won't trigger, and now we'll resolve the other AROs."

Dragonstriker likes this.
  17. Hecaton

@A Mão Esquerda mines trigger and are removed whenever an enemy declares or performs an order in their trigger are so... no. They've already left the table well before the resolution of the order.

DukeofEarl likes this.
  18. Mahtamori

Template. Not trigger area.

I'm not saying it's not retroactive. I'm saying it's not an issue because it's synonymous with the much longer sentence(s) that you're asking for.

19. Hecaton

Nah, I don't think so. This could also just be an awkwardly worded way of saying something else.

20. Mahtamori

Such as...?

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation