1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the game getting too complex?

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Space Ranger, Oct 30, 2018.

1. SmaggTheSmug

SmaggTheSmug Well-Known Member

Your "concern" was whining about Tiger Soldier not being in IA. Again.

2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

And he got a response from the company's PR account that was flippant and factually wrong.

Solodice and theradrussian like this.
  3. SmaggTheSmug

SmaggTheSmug Well-Known Member

The correct response to incessant whining.

4. Mahtamori

By using the company account to post easily checked incorrect information in order to piss people off? The least they could've done was use a smurf account. Or possibly not be antagonistic at all.

inane.imp likes this.
  5. theradrussian

theradrussian Well-Known Member

This is the reason why I am doing so well with my painting. After the arcs and gluing people to walls who engage debacles, compounded with a dash of "ITS 10 is an open beta but we wont admit to it...ignore the holes and the failure of xenotech to add any fun to the game", plus these FAQ silences, the sad state of MO, I must say my minis are at least getting painted!

But yeah, this is a lot of "bad"' rather consistently coming in waves onto a game that I personally love. That being said, it doesnt surprise me its next to impossible to get people into it, as it currently stands...

Mob of Blondes likes this.
  6. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

You know, I get just a little fucking pissed off when a new guy comes to the forum and asks, "what models can I buy to get ready for Invincible Army", I tell him that Tigers are safe to buy according to their dossier, and then turn out to have lied to a new guy and cost him money because CB lied to all of us.

That same post His Trollness replied to had a whole pile of business operations suggestions, too.

Berjiz, Erbent, stevenart74 and 2 others like this.
  7. A Mão Esquerda

A Mão Esquerda Deputy Hexahedron Officer

Things changed, as happens in life. A larger font, text effects and text color don’t change the fact it’s done and dusted, with your outrage mattering not a whit. And business suggestions buried in the dreck and bile were always likely to be dismissed out of hand, and rightfully so.

8. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

That post started with suggestions.

My request for designer's notes was the very last line.

But since that thread was locked, it seems to have been deleted. I haven't been able to find it in 6 hours of searching.

stevenart74 likes this.
  9. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

This is drifting away from the original topic.

To be clear, from my perspective, Infinity started off as a complex game and each new set of rules releases is only adding to that complexity.

It's not necessarily an inherently bad thing, much of that complexity DOES add depth (while some does not). There are also players who want a more complex game (especially one with depth).

But it's inarguable that introducing new players to Infinity is difficult, even with the support resources and staged systems (from the "vs" boxes and the "beyond" expansions to the "basic" and "advanced" rules in the book) which are available, and the use of scaled games.

If it's not already "too difficult" then at some point, as things are now, (and especially if the release schedule keeps up as it has over the last year) it will be.

And that's the point at which growth of the game will stop, and CB may find themselves in a pickle (for all their care in growing only slowly and sustainably).

Berjiz, BLOODGOD, toadchild and 2 others like this.
  10. Mahtamori

@AdmiralJCJF would you say that the game isn't too complex, but the rules are? That's roughly how I'd put it. CB has worked a large number of interesting choices into their game, but the rules are hard to navigate to learn them and play them.

You might feel shitty for giving people those recommendations back then, I feel a tiny bit shitty for having given the same advice, however
    *eases back into the job I had 10 years ago*
    That's what an RMA (refund) process is for.

11. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Can you honestly calm down a bit? and please refrain from using red.

A Mão Esquerda and AdmiralJCJF like this.
  12. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

No, I don't agree with that characterisation.

Both the rules and the gameplay are too complex, and the latter is a result of the former, but also as a result of some (shall we say) "interesting" FAQ choices which have embedded counter-intuitive interactions and deliberate design choices which add complexity to play.

This makes it doubly hard, because even if you do have a good head for rules and can pick those up quickly you will STILL get a lot of nasty shocks on the table due to the interactions which only emerge in play.

BLOODGOD and toadchild like this.
  13. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Yeah I'm kind of confused as to what they thought they were doing with ITS X/Xenotech. It seems like the Xenotech added a lot of complexity to missions with very little actual depth. That and the document was extremely poorly edited, propagating errors from years ago.

They really need to look into their editing pipeline. At least in my area, it's the tournament scene that drives the local community, and we're having fun and enjoying ourselves *despite* the ITS X document, not because of it.

14. theradrussian

We're literally having trouble getting people to play at events because of it. I'm half-tempted to give YAMS a go again if it'll up the playerbase involvement.

We also had to houserule a bunch of stuff to make sure the janky FAQ-induced interactions we always mention on the forums don't get used.

15. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

What are are you operating out of? I'm in Northern California.

16. Mahtamori

ITS aside, what FAQ interactions are you guys talking about?

17. theradrussian

Budapest, Hungary. Not quite the same neck of the woods!

It's mostly 40k here, and non-competiitve age of sigmar (IE: Drink beer until the rules and balance seem good)

I'm hoping that my current initiative of making some fresh terrain and enforcing the use of terrain rules will help bring back some life to the meta here.

ik3rian, Hecaton and SmaggTheSmug like this.
  18. Alkasyn

Alkasyn Well-Known Member

I get it you haven't heard of a rhetorical question, then ?

And this is true for Warsaw as well. The game is not growing, it's shrinking. Casuals who would be interested in it a couple of years back are now playing Kill Team instead (stronger brand, easier game). New people who try Infinity rarely stick around and veterans are leaving (how long can we play the same thing? it's only natural) - meaning there's no one to build a community with.

#518 Alkasyn, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    FatherKnowsBest, Wolf and Mruczyslaw like this.
  19. theradrussian

The LoS ones and the engage-stick-to-wall issue, which have been discussed to death?

AdmiralJCJF, Hecaton, Alkasyn and 2 others like this.
  20. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

@AdmiralJCJF's further clarified his point, but I thought @Mahtamori's point was nicely made.

For me, the game's core mechanisms are outstanding. The way unit costs, Face-to-Face, Order Pool, Order Sequence and ARO.s, MOD.s and unit and SWC costs all work together is really excellent, and provides a game that's interesting and immersive.

Those core mechanisms are not complicated in the negative sense of having too many parts, but complex in a good way that provides deep interplay between opponents. The good complexity is why it's not just a 'best army wins' type of game.

Yet there is a disconnection between that good basic game, and the rules, rulebook, units, skills and equipment that too often make a game a really frustrating experience, and common situations are often confusing, even for quite experienced players.

Someone else made a very smart observation about the core mechanisms, arguing that they make the game more dramatic and compelling, but also make mistakes more acutely felt. I think this explains why rules confusion is more disruptive too.

#520 Wolf, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Berjiz, AdmiralJCJF and theradrussian like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation