1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie seeking advice on starter force

Discussion in 'Combined Army' started by noggin2nog, Jan 1, 2019.

1. noggin2nog

noggin2nog New Member

Hi guys, I've just taken the plunge and started on Infinity with a couple of gaming buddies. Between us we have the Operation Coldfront starter and the extra Ariadna and Aleph figures needed to make up the 300 point lists in the intro rules booklet. I'd like advice on a suitable starting force (300 points) for the Combined Army that would be able to compete with these forces and give a fun game, at a casual level.
    Ideally, it would have figures/factions that would be found in a force that was forming a bridgehead on Ariadna, to keep in with the scenarios in the intro set.
    Many thanks.

Razi likes this.
  2. coleslaw

coleslaw Veteran

There was a 300 pts Onyx any box a while back. I think it included the starter box, the rodoks box and the remotes box. Might be that would be a good start?
    I would recommend staying away from Shasvastii (maybe with the exception of a few noctifers) as there are rumors about them being reworked 2019.

3. noggin2nog

noggin2nog New Member

That could be just what I'm looking for - but it looks as though I'll have to put it together from separate items as the boxed set isn't available any more. Many thanks.

coleslaw likes this.
  4. Harulian

Harulian New Member

IDK if this is allowed, but found a box set
    http://chaosorc.com/product_info.php?products_id=27046

Razi likes this.
  5. xagroth

xagroth Mournful Echo

For Combined Army in general:
    • Dr Worm and the Wormettes (CA Support Box), is the only Medic and present on all Sectorials and vanilla atm.
    • Ikadron + Imetron blister x2, the Ikadrons are present on all Sectorials and are killing machines (9pts, double small flamers, pistol, flash pulse, baggage, repeater...) and the Imetrons are good units too, but can only be deployed for Vanilla and Onyx.
    • Rodok box: you can use the lone HMG in vanilla as a hunter, and three of them as a Haris in Onyx. Available also on the Morat sectorial.
    • Noctifers: they won't be renewed in the new Shasvastii line (neither will be the Sphinx), at least in theory, and you can use them as Malignos.
    • Kerr-Nau and/or Bit & Kiss: depends on what you want, Bit is pure anti hacker, kerr-nau has some utility and can link in Onyx.
    • Nexus blister
    • Remotes box (mount an EVO and a Total Reaction).
    For Onyx in particular (add the "in general")
    • Unidron special weapons box
    • Probably the CA Starter Box (3x Unidron, Umbra Legate, Fraacta, Maakrep)

For vanilla CA ONLY (add the "in general):
    • Avatar, OR Charontid (the Charontid needs the Daturazi as smokers)
    • Skiavoros (you won't use 2 aspects at the same time, but it pays to have the Skiavoros as well, since he is a cheap Aspect)
    • Box of Daturazi (also for Morat), in my experience two are enough as smokers, but you can use the other two as Krakots.
    • Speculo Killer (will be replaced... if you don't want that model, use the Shasvastii Specops as Speculo proxy, since the model is very nice).
    You can get the Sphinx and the Anathematic too, but they are changes over the Avatar/Charontid option, because of points and SWC issues.

To proxy for now:
    • Libertos

gomjabbar and DaRedOne like this.
  6. Razi

Razi Well-Known Member

I think you could make a narrative to explain any factions presence if you want. So I'd suggest not pinning yourself down in any way when it comes to faction/model choice.

I could list a bunch of different 300 point lists but it might be best to decide for yourself which faction within CA you like the most and start from there. I'm sure everyone here would be happy to give suggestions once you've decided.

The 300pt Onyx box should still be available with some digging as @Harulian pointed out. It's only just recently been discontinued. Personally, I think it's a poor selection of troops but I can't deny it's a bargain in terms of price. I picked up two just because I love the Rodok minis and needed more drones. I use the Rodoks as Vanguards.

7. Bohrdog

Bohrdog Santathematics

If you want the Onyx 300 point army box just look around at online stores, many still have it in stock.

8. gomjabbar

gomjabbar Member

Man thanks so much for that!

xagroth likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation