1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some pinning and pin vice advice.

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Grizwald, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Grizwald

Grizwald Member

I need a new pin vice since I like to pin every thing possible to avoid future problems. I have been using a P3 drill that I have had for a number of years but recently I can’t get the drill bits to sit flat in it anymore and in the past I had some bad experiences with army painter and gw ones. So I need to get a new one but I want to get a decent quality one. Does anyone have any recommendations on pin vices I was thinking of maybe the Tamyia fine pin vice D-r #74112. I also saw this the Tamiya electric hand drill but I’m afraid it won’t do so well drilling infinity models does anyone have one? I was thinking of just bitting the bullet and buying a variable speed dremel. Is it worth it and if so any advice on a decent model that won’t break the bank. Also what do you guys for pinning on really small pieces like .05mm since I’m out of brass rods from my old pinning kits. Thanks for the help

2. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

X-Acto for the Pin Vice? Pretty sure I'm still using a GF9 and a GW one, though. GW (IIRC) didn't have as many collets to hold different bit sizes, so I use that one for bigger holes.

I bought a whole pile of 0.5mm/0.020" music wire that I use for pinning small parts, the hard part is getting drill bits. Bits that small are incredibly fragile!

When using music wire, you need serious wire cutters (the kind that can cut screws or bolts to length), music wire is hardened spring steel and will turn normal hobby clippers into wire strippers!

Modock, Sangarn and jherazob like this.
  3. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

My clippers have tungsten carbide edges on them and have cut steel-core guitar strings without notching (electronics store purchase).
    My bits are by P+N who do sub-1mm bits for small engineering tasks. They're HSS bits. You can also buy sets of graduated ones from certain electronics suppliers in Oz (like Jaycar).
    The 0.5mm bits take some skill to use without snapping them (you need to apply just enough pressure to get the blades to bite but not enough to put too much flex on the shaft (as you'll torque the bit and snap it).

My current pin-vice came from a model store in Sydney about 16 years ago. 2 double-ended collets for a variety of bit sizes (2mm down to sub-0.5mm)

Darknes and jherazob like this.
  4. Grizwald

Grizwald Member

Thanks for the info I don’t know if I have bad luck with pin vices but it seems like they always break on me and by break I mean that they adventually won’t hold the drill bit straight anymore. I ended up getting the tamiya pin vice hopefully this one will last me along time.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation