1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Varuna Fireteam - Machinist

Discussion in 'PanOceania' started by Sorbus, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Sorbus

Sorbus Member
    Warcor

Hello,

i have a question regarding the role of the Machinist (Varuna Div.).

In Army it says he can join a special fireteam "core or Haris of Kamau". So maybe its my poor english, does this mean he can join only core of kamau? Or can he join any core (e.g. Fusilier) or Haris of Kamau's?

Thanks for the help!

2. Death

Death Well-Known Member

He can join either or. In other words, he can do both. In fact, since Machinist (varuna div) are ava 2, you can have one in a core and another in a haris.

Note: this is a tricky aspect of the word "or" in English. It can be both inclusive and exclusive and the different is purely contextual. In the case of the Machnist its inclusive so both options are available.

3. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

Are you sure that he can join a link of Fusiliers? Personally I don't think so, but I'm not a native speaker.

@ijw can you say somthing to it?

4. Titus

Titus Varuna Beach Commando

Maybe I'm not understanding but I don't think that's the question.

The question is if the machinist can join any fireteam. And I think the answer is no, he can join core of Kamau only. He can't join a fusiliers link.

meikyoushisui and Sepheriel like this.
  5. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

The Machinist can join a Fireteam: Core of Kamau or a Fireteam: Haris of Kamau.

It's not 'Core (of any type), or Haris of Kamau'.

6. Sorbus

Sorbus Member
    Warcor

Thank you very much for clarification!

7. Death

Death Well-Known Member

Oops. I took it for granted that the fireteam being talked about was only for the Kamau. I didn't think I needed to point that out as well.

8. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Note that with Patsy, this counts as a Kamau Haris:

Varuna Immediate Reaction Division
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

[​IMG]3
    PATSY GARNETT Submachine Gun, Nimbus Plus Grenades, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 37)
    KAMAU (Multispectral Visor L2) MULTI Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (1.5 | 32)
    MACHINIST (Varuna Div.) (CH: Mimetism, Stealth, Aquatic Terrain) Combi Rifle, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 17)

1.5 SWC | 86 Points

Open in Infinity Army

barakiel likes this.
  9. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

Kamau HRL and HMG are both nice in that Haris too. Kamau HRL brings two great weapons, and the HRL getting Burst 3 and being able to maneuver for splash shots is really helpful.

10. derbrizon

derbrizon Well-Known Member

Ah, the ol' Oxford comma problem.

There is no comma in the sentence, so "core and Harris" are inclusive with Kamau type. It's not actually a contextual difference. This is defined (if you're doing it correctly) by the presence or lack of comma after "or". If there were a comma in the sentence, it would, by rules of English, be telling us that any Fireteam:Core or a Kamau Harris. But there is no comma. So it is a "Fireteam: Core or Harris" of the kamau variety only.

For a relevant lesson, click the following possibly NSFW link: https://m.imgur.com/gallery/fycHx

eciu likes this.
  11. Section9

Yes, they are. I'm a little unsure about having two SMGs in a Haris, but it's not a bad option.

But my point was that it was a Kamau Haris, even though there isn't a Kamau trooper with the Haris rule in it. It is a Haris team because there is a trooper with the Haris rule in it (Patsy), it's a Kamau team because there is a Kamau in it, which then means that the Varuna Div Machinist can be part of it.

barakiel likes this.
  12. Death

Death Well-Known Member

English is my only language and I still don't know what your talking about. Never heard of this. Is it a British thing?

13. Section9

No, it's also showed up in a legal case in the US. (Only reason I was paying attention to it is because it was an HR-related case, I try to keep up with those since my degree is in HR)

14. Death

Death Well-Known Member

my american education failed me. :P

15. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Really, rest of the world really cares if they at least teach you some good geography....

xammy and Zewrath like this.
  16. derbrizon

derbrizon Well-Known Member

Don't sweat it. Almost nobody does commas correctly. This one could very well be an accidentally correct case.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation