1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3rd Offensive Book Feedback - constructive with love

Discussion in 'News' started by lord farfhocel, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Lothlanathorian

Lothlanathorian Not a custom title

Pak was USAF intel and it didn't sound like a thing I'd heard before (know him IRL for, like, 18 years).

Flipswitch likes this.
  2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm going to tell you to not bring out the stone slabs and start a religion based on that info.

With Bostria's track record, Ramah might not be the next big thing that happens to Haqq, even if it's the next new sectorial.

oldGregg, FatherKnowsBest and xagroth like this.
  3. Usashi

Usashi Well-Known Member

That's what I've been thinking as well. Look at what happened with Daofei unit that were part of the IA by fluff and Tigers that were confirmed to be in IA as well. Things might change a lot before we see the final version of Ramah sectorial.

I'm not sure if hints made by Bostria are the best source of info. Koni on the other hand has been much more reliable ;)

4. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

They don't start religions around stone tablets anymore.
    The big thing is complete bullshit SF stories now, done on a bet and a dare.

AdmiralJCJF and Lothlanathorian like this.
  5. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

I haven't spoken to him in ages but I just remembered I have him on FB, time to hit him up.

Lothlanathorian likes this.
  6. oldGregg

oldGregg Well-Known Member

It would be cool if it actually happens. Ramah has been “coming soon” for as long as I’ve been playing. I’m excited, but not holding my breath.

It would be cool to see RTF in line with VIRD; lean and agile.

Lothlanathorian likes this.
  7. FilmExile

FilmExile Member

I have recently returned to Infinity after a long break.

Just in time for 3rd Offensive.

So I bought the book on preorder, glad when it turned up. Don't get me wrong I love Infinity, but 3rd Offensive is very flawed.
    The writing is poor, repeating a point multiple times (I suspect this is a translational issue). Much of the writing is bland and uninspired. It feels like someone is trying to fill space rather than write interesting and informative content.

The artwork mostly saves the book (bar the pic of the Tech-Bee, which should be stricken as bad taste (as should the model)).

Was it worth it?

Yes... but deeply flawed in my opinion.

#167 FilmExile, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Ariwch, sevsterino and oldGregg like this.
  8. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Why would it be?

9. FilmExile

FilmExile Member

Because I have to believe that CB have someone who can write.

10. sevsterino

sevsterino Well-Known Member

I have exactly the same feeling about the book... agree with every single point you mentioned, especially the part that it feels like most content is page "filler" and the same info is repeated many times over and over again. You read an entire page but get actual info worth 2 or 3 sentences. I love infinity and i am likely to buy every book irrespective the poor content, but it is a wasted opportunity for inspiring fluff and more in depth info about the world.

FilmExile likes this.
  11. FilmExile

FilmExile Member

I also play DropZone Commander, and the Phase 1 and Phase 2 sourcebooks for that game should stand out as an example of how to write a campaign book. Frankly they were page turners that I couldn't put down. Where as much of 3rd Offensive I had to push through... and still haven't managed to read every page yet.

Much of the really good source material seems to have been reprinted from the Campaign: Paradiso.

Infinity is a great game (could use a few fixes, but generally balanced and fun)
    The background writing needs to be taken seriously. I think in retrospect I prefer the writing and layout style of N2 over N3.

12. Ariwch

Ariwch Tournament benthotic lurker

So it was not confirmed at all :)

chromedog and oldGregg like this.
  13. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Not the translation.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation