1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold Front starter

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Marc C, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Marc C

Marc C Cardboard Hero

So, I've played Infinity before and understand how to the game works. I'm looking at Cold Front and like the models.

My question :
    What is the replayability of the two armies one against the other? From the point of view of an occasional game with boardgame-like approach. Are the armies balanced, or does one win the majority of time. Also, does the Beyond Cold Front box make the armies better against each other?

Wolf likes this.
  2. Marc C

Marc C Cardboard Hero

3. Nemo No Name

Nemo No Name Aleph Cultural Atache

Honestly, I have no idea. I can't imagine just replaying any of the Operation boxes like a boardgame - not because they're bad, but because the moment I see Army builder, I would want to explode outside the limitations of the boxes. Hence, I'm really having problem giving you a reasonable answer.

Berjiz, Stiopa and Balewolf like this.
  4. Wolf

Wolf https://youtube.com/@StudioWatchwolf

I’ve only been playimg Infinity for a couple of years now, and although I play at least a few games of everything i come across, my tabletop experience is generally quite limited. Whereas on the other hand, Ive been playing board games regularlry since ... lets just say ‘a few decades’, and play about 3 board games for every Infinity game each week.

I think Infinity is the most board-game-like tabletop game I’ve come across, probably because its so objective-based, and because that's really how board games tend to work (whether they call them that or not). And whilst i love the models, id be quite happy if someone else would assemble and paint them for me - its really the game I want to play.

So yes, i think it IS a game where you could play one army, then play the exact same mission, swapping your army for opponents army - ust like you woukd in a board game. And I do totally get your question.

Im sorry i cant answer it, but I hope the moral support has some value! :grin:

Marc C likes this.
  5. Marc C

Marc C Cardboard Hero

@ Nemo No Name : Been there, done that. Used to be an infinity tournament organizer (2e/3e). Stopped playing a while back and sold everything. I'm only interested in the occasional casual games at home.

6. Marc C

Marc C Cardboard Hero

That is what I want to do.

7. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

You would probably get bored of the actual CF missions as they do restrict the rules down. That said the units are balanced for repeated play with just them in any sort of scenario you might want to play (like the Dire Foes missions for example). Beyond would add some variety to it just like an expansion for a board game would.

Marc C likes this.
  8. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

I think it'd work, but do keep in mind that the missions are really built more around teaching you the core concepts than having a lot of replay value.

Marc C likes this.
  9. Wolf

We did a great deal of teaching this year in series of introductory and beginner games using the various faction Starter Boxes.

In short, new players were lured into the showroom and encouraged to pick a faction they liked the look of (eye-candy and guns, isn't it? :wink:), with which we'd then play a series of small-points missions plus a couple of extra Orders.

We also have printed sheets of all the unit profiles for each Starter Box or Red Veil/Ice Storm army so that players could really easily build and re-build armies from the units they have: https://watchwolf.net/troop-profile-pdfs/ which helps speed up list building

This all works just fine for half a dozen or more games, and it's possible to just reconfigure units to provide a rewarding amount of variety and interest, and we found the Ice Storm and Red Veil box sets were significantly more interesting than the Starter Boxes - it's curious that a single extra model could provide that much extra interest.

I'm sure there must be other threads elsewhere (can anyone provide links, please?) but the Coldfront models look great, and the Ariadnan lo-tech versus ALEPH hi-tech provides suitable asymmetry which should be interesting in itself.

In conclusion, I'd expect the Coldfront box set would provide the out-of-the-box pseudo-boardgaming experience we've discussed, and provide enough of the variety and interest that makes for re-playability without going Full Nerd, spending Christmas presents money on the complete range of models in the army, memorising several thousand troop profiles, and disappearing into the basement for months at a time. :wink:

#9 Wolf, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    DukeofEarl and Marc C like this.
  10. Wolf

I think the approach works fine for normal gaming too, nicely illustrated by my experience yesterday, at my home-from-home shop in the UK.

We cobbled together a list from the shop's Ice Storm models, plus a few extra units in the window, and then just pumped the points up to match my opponent's pre-prepared 300 points, in a recklessly uncompetitive way.

We enjoyed a good couple of hours of Supremacy: Military Orders (home team) versus Pan O Dregs (away team) which I lost 6 - 2,.

But the point that's relevant to this thread is that I lost 'properly' - not because I was playing an imperfect list, but because I myself played the list badly, fearfully trying to eliminate my opponent's rampaging Jean d'Arc Mobility Barbie, instead of concentrating on the objectives.

Then again, the general rule of thumb for any traditional game was also applicable: 'do not trust anyone more than half your age'. You may quote me. :smile:

#10 Wolf, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  11. Cannon Fodder

Cannon Fodder Well-Known Member

One of the draws of a full blown miniature game is the constant changes and tweeks that happen. It possible to get a couple people to play at 1 single level and not evolve. But the game is designed to let the players evolve. Its too complex to intro to a player and have a single game, and if you simplify the game too much you lose half the flavor.

Games like MERCS was more of a game you play once in a while with the same models. But it didn't last too long. Currently there is Fallout that may scratch your itch. The board game does not look too interesting, but the Miniature game is the type where you pick up your 2 factions for semi-regular play. I watched a couple games on youtube and, I wouldn't mind trying it, but I doubt it would be my primary game.

Wolf likes this.
  12. Marc C

Marc C Cardboard Hero

Thank you all for the detailed replies. All things considered I'll just keep playing Aristeia. Fast set up and very dynamic game play on a board. Another fun evening last night. Suits me fine.

Wolf likes this.
  13. Wolf

... dunno. Aren't tabletop games just unbelievably complex honey traps for tragic, basement-dwelling nerds?

I know I can't seem to help myself. :wink:

Marc C likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation