1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dear Guijia, you are pointless

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Mahtamori, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

You're right it's probably not worth it in the end. The hacking vulnerabilities are too much to really want to ever push forwards.

I really do want to do something more interesting than just giving a mediocre vanilla TAG more orders to try and make it work though. Maybe if it carried Mad Traps and Crazy Koalas at the same time? Nanoscreen? I don't know.

#101 Triumph, Dec 3, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  2. Barrogh

Barrogh Well-Known Member

I am not sure in what kind of match you will cross entire board with your TAG, then probably climb somewhere - all that just to hit that Swiss in the face in CC.

3. Maksimas

Maksimas Heavy Infantry Addict Maxim

Honestly sounds like that Swiss made fun of the Guijia pilots name with how that situation looks like.

4. Triumph

Take the Guijia and replace it with any of our premier HI and watch it get out performed into the dust for a fraction of the cost. That's why everyone says it's garbage. Regardless of whether or not you think Yu Jing make that trashcan work, the point remains that he can't compete inhouse with the other options. It's the same deal for other units like the Shang Ji (STILL!) it gets outperformed for the cost by Zuyong in just about every situation. That was the complaint pre IA, it's the same complaint post IA. The status quo didn't shift.

Some of us don't need months to do the math mate. The situation has barely improved the Shang Ji, and it hasn't improved at all for the Guijia. It sucked before, and making it compete with some really strong HI links doesn't make it better, quite the opposite actually.

csjarrat, ambisinister and Kallas like this.
  5. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Not all Swiss sit in Ivory Towers, some get down and dirty trying to get angles on people. ;)

Daemon of Razgriz likes this.
  6. ambisinister

ambisinister Broken Zoetrope

This is exactly it. If anything, IA made the situation worse for the Guija by adding more things to compete with it. Then you combine that with the fact the Guija doesn’t benefit or synergize with anything in IA (as folks have pointed out, at least in Vanilla you can Kuang Shi to pad your orders and bring high cost stuff with the Guija). In this circumstance we don’t need time to wait and see how IA performs as a sectorial to evaluate the Guija because IA hasn’t done anything to change its stats, strategic, or tactical uses.

7. Andre82

Andre82 Well-Known Member

This sort of stuff can happen in Frontline but overall it is still a pretty edge case.

8. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

I found that most of the time, the Yan Huo is shooting at about 16-24" range on our tables. "oh, look, sniper on the rooftop!" BRAAAAAAAAAAP! No more rooftop (or sniper).

That's basically shooting from the front of my DZ to the front of your DZ, maybe into your FD2 area.

CC19 isn't great, no. It's good enough to beat up mooks after you light them on fire, however. It's also high enough to make anyone not backing MA3 and Berserk reconsider the idea. NBW and a DA or EXP CCW would be different and interesting (I'd want to bump CC up to 20 or 21 in that case).

Actually, I just had a thought. What about slapping a Tinbot B (or Deflector L2 directly) onto the TAG? It'd give some better hacking protection.

Stiopa likes this.
  9. Weathercock

Weathercock Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I'd really like to hear the design team's thought process for leaving the Guijia as it is.

csjarrat and Kallas like this.
  10. Andre82

Andre82 Well-Known Member

Same but mostly just out of curiosity.
    If I had to take a guess it was probably something along the line of
    Guijia is a simple and solid heavy tag. Sure it is in competition with a few other profiles but this just gives players choices so they can decide how to express themselves. Sure some players are dissatisfied with it's performance but you can't listen/trust every complaint.

Stiopa and Jonno like this.
  11. SpectralOwl

What about a Jammer? Same odds as Reset, hurts active-turn attempts to Possess by preventing multiple attempts. It would still leave the Guijia vulnerable to ARO hacks, but should be a fairly balanced add-on if AHDs are a concern without rendering Hacking meaningless and providing added value to Pitchers and Repeaters. Fluff-wise, I can absolutely see Yu Jing adopting it as a defensive system to prevent JSA infiltrators approaching the TAG. Sorry to bring Uprising up again, but I've felt for a while that it would be nice to see Yu Jing military doctrine affected by the loss of manpower and constant danger of close-combat assassins from a neighbouring state that they can't openly attack.

Shiwen likes this.
  12. Triumph

"It's got a yellow faceplate"

You're just going to get an idiotic answer as we've been shown.

Henshini, Kallas and Pierzasty like this.
  13. Weathercock

Weathercock Well-Known Member

See, I like expression and creativity in my list design. Being able to personalize your army to your specific playstyle and make it work is one of my favourite parts of playing Infinity. But units being strictly overshadowed by others removes them as effective options in my playbook, because I don't feel good knowingly picking sub-optimal choices. It's the 40k style of design. Sure, the unit entry is there, you totally can use it, and you'll probably be different for doing so. But you'll also be hurting yourself by doing it.

Now, the Guijia spot in list building (and the state of Infinity in general) is nowhere even remotely near the banality of 40k's painfully linear "victory in the list-building phase" problem, but that does not justify the problem.

csjarrat likes this.
  14. Kallas

Kallas Vincible

This gets over emphasised way too much :face_with_rolling_eyes:

15. csjarrat

csjarrat Well-Known Member

It was very prevalent in the shit-show that was 7th ed. I think its less so in 8th but codex's are not created equal and allied shenanigans still exist in a lesser form

16. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

If your opponent leaves snipers with lof across the board then yes the Yan Huo will kill them. This is not something that people tend to do vs Yan Huo however, because it is obviously a terrible idea.

17. Triumph

Have you heard about the concept of defensive link teams? Or the Kamau? Or Unidrons.

Plenty of snipers get left in LOF because that's their job. It's not like the Yan Huo is even the deadliest or most accurate active turn model in the game either. Simply being on the table does not make one's defensive link teams suddenly decide "Well, jeez look at Mr Yan Huo over there better not do my job of providing overwatch."

18. Aspect Graviton

Aspect Graviton Friendly Alien Overlord
    Warcor

I literally watched you leave an intruder sniper in front of a Yan huo in the last game you played :joy:

I mean the intruder won but still.

19. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Yes, obviously I have, but the Yan Huo will struggle to kill a linked Kamau Sniper IMO. B5 on 11s vs B2 on 16s isn't great. So in that situation it's not doing much better than a Guija and doesn't have the speed for a break out either. People will not leave stuff out that will lose a fire to a Yan Huo if you have a Yan Huo.

20. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Intruders have camo, that's different, and the reveal was a calculated risk without which the Yan Huo wouldn't have been able to shoot. The whole point of that guy was to hold up the right flank, which he did.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation