1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Atalanta giving me fits

Discussion in 'Ikari Company' started by BlackCadian, Dec 3, 2018.

1. BlackCadian

BlackCadian Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

do you have that, too? A model that sends chill down your spine when you see it set up on the opposing table side? One that has simply spoiled too many games for you, dealt you single handedly too many losses?

That is Atalanta for me. The best sniper in the game (I think), able to dominate lanes of fire like no other. She’s always been a pain in my rear playing my old favourite combined army, and now I start wondering what to do to be prepared when she invariably rears her ugly head as I play Ikari.

Other than my linked Tanko ML I cant think of anything that could even stand a chance. And even here, what if I dont have first turn? Do I leave the Tanko out and risk being picked off, 2 dice vs 2, with odds being on Atalantas side, as almost always?

How have you, or would you, deal with her? I swear theres no model I hate as much in this game.

Cheers!

2. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

Actually, the odds are probably on the Tanko's side in that matchup - she'll only be on +1 BS, but is much more vulnerable to the Tanko's Missile Launcher than the Tanko is to her MSR.

oldGregg and Golem2God like this.
  3. lord farfhocel

lord farfhocel Well-Known Member

Evo plus 4 yuan yuan? Drop one behind her and chain rifle or engage....don't attack... just engage... 8 pts keeps 40-45? Sorted...engage Ikari troll face

4. Fire@Will

Fire@Will Well-Known Member

If you can get a Forward Observer to target someone (anyone) nearby, then you can spec fire an E/M Grenade to remove the spotter; a Druze (with the x-visor) will hit on a 12 at extreme range, and she'll need to roll a 13+ to avoid losing that +3 bonus. If you can get within 16, you can do it on 9s. (Granted, this is more applicable for Kamau snipers in fireteams, to kill that bonus, but it works here, too)

If you can drop a Nimbus Grenade, any high burst gun has a chance vs a single dice in ARO, especially if you use a remote with Assisted Fire.

5. GorkkTheOrc

GorkkTheOrc Active Member

As both a Vanilla ALEPH and Ikari player, I know how Atalanta handles and what she can/can't do.

1st: If your opponent is going 2nd and is smart, he probably hasn't left her out to ARO since (despite her amazing stats) having B1 with a 40 point 1 wound model isn't the best choice. Because of this, she's probably going to be hidden/behind cover/praying you walk down her firelane so she can pop up and go on a murder-spree. Take advantage of her vulnerability and get a Yuan Yuan in there (as previously mentioned) or any kind of Desperado, Yojimbo, Ninja Hacker, any kind of fancy kill-toy that Ikari has at it's disposal

2nd: If your opponent is going first. HIDE! Don't leave stuff out to ARO against Atalanta's firing lane. You should still have things like Tanko ML's and other fireteam/ARO options out there, but don't be in her way if you can help it. If for some reason Atalanta does have the ability to see the entire board, I believe that's a terrain problem at that point more than a deployment issue.

3rd: If your opponent is going fist and you don't want to hide, MORE ARO. If you know where Atalanta is going to be, stack up multiple ARO options to deal with her if she does pop up. Get your MSV2 Brawler up there, get several options going to force her into a bad match-up with multiple shooters.

4th: At the end of the day she's only got 1 Wound and is terrible in melee. Just play smart and don't run at her when she has the ability to shoot back. Play to her weaknesses and you'll do just fine.

On a side note, in my meta, my opponents hate/fear the Proxy Mk.4 HRL more than anything. Even more than Atalanta, she's scary, but squishy.

Good luck!

Balewolf likes this.
  6. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I think things like using our cheapest units to take out an expensive one! Yuan Yuans, Bashi (please go ahead and discover my holo), and FO keisotu.

Next, the Total Immunity Karakuri with Mk12! No matter what Atalanta hits it with, it will only ever take one wound. Plus the Karakuri can even FO it instead. Then out comes mr. Ninja to surprise shot. He gets +3 for marked, she's minus -3 for surprise shot. I know her spotter takes care of it but it's still your 3 to her 1.

Or better yet, rain down the love with the Clipper!

7. csjarrat

csjarrat Well-Known Member

Just outburst her, linked hmg is far more likely to win face to face in good range through weight of dice. 5 dice vs 1 is good odds of straight out critting if nothing else lol.
    Other than that, get up close in her crap range band. Spec fire. Stab in melee. All good options

8. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

That's why you need to take her on in your turn and avoid when if you can when it's not.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation