1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using smoke to protect against blast damage

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Hecaton, Nov 25, 2018.

1. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

2. Zhukov2

Zhukov2 Active Member
    Warcor

Take the whole impact template out of the equation. If both the DD and K-9 have lof to the attacker, they both get an aro. Because they are G: Synched, they have to do the same aro.

if the DD uses his BS attack to throw a smoke grenade, it then makes it a ftf attack if the target is shooting at the DD. The poor K-9 just takes it.

since the attacker is using a blast template that hits the DD, the DD gets to aro throw smoke to try and been the die roll of the attacker even though he wasn't the main target and since he is using a ballistic attack of throwing smoke, it will be a ftf roll. and again the k-9 get's mooshed.

This is all if the DD has lof to the attacker. If the DD doesn't have lof, then he can't do anything until the template affects him, then he can only dodge at -3, which the K-9 can finally do the same.

All of this of course, the attacker is using the K-9 as the target, will get a -3 to hit because of the cammo/mimetism of the k-9.

3. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Absolutely. The only addendum is that the Smoke template must block the LOF between the attacker and the K-9.

Zhukov2 and DukeofEarl like this.
  4. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, is that not convincing for you or in reference to those trying to add rules/terms that do not exist?

Zhukov2 likes this.
  5. inane.imp

I'm convinced, I'm unable to convince others using the logic "it's what the rules say": so I'm going with "also your interpretation breaks an interaction we all* think is how the game works/should work" instead.

* FKB excepted.

DukeofEarl likes this.
  6. DukeofEarl

That's what I thought. I was really confused reading that line at first. now I get you.

7. Zhukov2

Zhukov2 Active Member
    Warcor

Wait, hold on, we all agree on something? What is going on?!?!

DukeofEarl and toadchild like this.
  8. DukeofEarl

Army gets updated tomorrow. It won't last :P

Zhukov2 likes this.
  9. inane.imp

No, the three of us agree on something @Arkhos and @toadchild still disagree (I think) but I think we maybe convinced @Solar.

#189 inane.imp, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    DukeofEarl and Zhukov2 like this.
  10. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I'm mostly out of the conversation at this point. I think some interesting points were raised and I'm really hoping someone from CB comments.

DukeofEarl and Zhukov2 like this.
  11. DukeofEarl

I've started to come to the realization that their attitude to rules things is not to comment unless it is to make a change from outside of the existing rules. Far from ideal, but it has been pretty consistent.

12. daboarder

Warcor

THIS, so much this!

RobertShepherd likes this.
  13. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

I get that. I've just reread the post and your response a few more times and I did have it wrong (I thought your first response was to his second line, not his third).

14. C0MR4DE

C0MR4DE Malfunctioning Unidron

I love your rule/logic bending skills, but i am a toydarian, so it will not affect me.

So where should i start?
    Devil dog and k-9 are the ACTIVE TROOPERS.
    First part of their order was move because the story was they are walking on the lands of solitude. Whoop an enemy guy (Bob) spots them and says: eat my fire and declares an aro: bs attack against K-9.
    Devil dog + k9 are g:sync. Their second part of the order is smoke dodge.
    The main target has no smoke, so only the devil dog will perform the bs attack smoke dodge. But sadly he is not the main target of the attack so k9 eats the rocket(he is idle).
    K9 have to roll arm, and the devil dog have to roll arm too because smoke do not def from templates. If he survives, he can do a normal roll for smoke. End of story.

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  15. daboarder

Warcor

Fixed that for you.
    And lets add the relevant rules, as that seems to be the part you are confused by.
    Lets start by reading the special dodge rules
    http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Smoke_Special_Ammunition

Smoke Special Dodge
    -Unlike other Special Ammunition, Smoke can be used to avoid enemy Attacks, but only if those Attacks require LoF and a Roll, and their LoF is blocked by the Smoke Circular Template being placed.

So thats the clause for special dodge. lets check the Template weapon rules
    http://infinitythewiki.com/en/Template_Weapons_and_Equipment#Impact_Template_Weapons

Area of Effect
    The Area of Effect of a Template is the area it covers with a single declaration of use. For example, if you declare an
    Attackusing a Template Weapon, all troopers or targets in base contact or inside the Area of Effect of the Template are affected by the Attack declared.

So yeah, now we know that theres no such thing as LOF from teh centre of the impact template, merely that models underneath the impact template will be affected by BS ATTACK

Impact Template
    • Unlike Direct Template Weapons, Impact Template Weapons require an Attack Roll, using BS or the appropriate Attribute, to hit.
    • The user of one of these weapons must declare a main valid target, and that target is used as a reference to place the Template.
    • Place the Template down when you declare the Attack to determine who is affected by that Attack, as that might influence the possible second Short Skill and AROs.
    • Circular Impact Template (Grenades, Grenade Launchers, etc.): Place the center of the Circular Template (Blast Focus) over the center of the main target's base. All other troopers affected by the Template suffer the Attack as well.
    And now we ask, how can troops respond to being hit by a template, and we look lower in the rules and find this, which tells us that they respond seperately against the attacker, yay.

Responding to a Template Weapon Roll
    Against an Attack with a Template Weapon that required a Roll to hit—whether it was an Impact Template Weapon or an Intuitive Attack—, each affected enemy may make a separate Face to Face Roll against the attacker.

So yeah, pretty clear.
    As per the FAQ of course the Special Dodge clause cannot prevent the K-9 eating the hit.

#195 daboarder, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  16. C0MR4DE

Thx for fixing my comment, but devil dog still cant def himself with smoke as a secondary target.

17. daboarder

Warcor

Arguments that dont include the actual rules are useless

DukeofEarl likes this.
  18. C0MR4DE

Pff....
    Ok, so if dd say dodge: it would be a face to face roll against Bobs attack. But he declared an irrelevant skill, smoke dodge. Because he was not the main target he cant prevent the hrl to hit. Yea affected troopers do face to face DODGE.

19. C0MR4DE

As per rule:
    • Troopers affected by a Template Weapon or Equipment can declare Dodge as their second Short Skill or ARO, even if they do not have LoF to the attacker.

20. inane.imp

Why can't he defend himself with Smoke if he is the secondary target?

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation