1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invincible Army post mortem

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by Triumph, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Shinen

Shinen Well-Known Member

So, a bit like the riot grrl and zuyong comparison? Zuyong is mass produced but still worse and more expensive that riotgrrls because of frenzy (rule) discount.

In my personal opinion, this makes no sense in an open war scenario but in a black ops scenario? i can at least try to explain it to myself, like that it's harder to cover for an zuyong on locations he shouldn't be and keep his and his teammates mouth shut while there are no official documents about riotgrrls troop movement because... punker girls and nomads...

Still, just a nice try to get rules and lore straight whats impossible if you ask me, there is always one guy who knows the lore better than everyone so i endet up after many years of tabletop discussions: just roll with it. ... :see_no_evil::hear_no_evil::speak_no_evil:

what was, will be; what will be, was

2. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

I actually don't understand why some of the units like the Hulang are AVA 2 in IA

3. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Almost all Ariadna starters for some reason. :s
    The Marauder, the Vet Kazak and the Volunteer..

4. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Well, truth be told something CAN be higher tech and still suck massive balls to a technologically inferior counterpart. :sweat_smile:

Riot Grrls are actually more expensive, even if the difference is miniscule.
    Even then, Riot Grrls aren't that low-tech either. They have bionics and according to the fluff they are equipped with some of the best gear available to Bakunin, something about Blacksmiths of the Vulkanja Module or something.

5. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Not entirely necessarily so. There is a difference in skill that is separate from technology, and it is fully possible for a nation with smaller means to produce something that's more cutting edge than a nation of greater means. US special forces are not necessarily the best trained nor the best equipped compared to some of their allies or adversaries, but they sure as hell are more numerous and deployed a lot more than most of the comparably equipped special forces. So the thing that's suspect about Riot Grrls* is that they have the same AVA in Bakunin as Zuyong has in IA when, roughly speaking, deploying large number of Zuyong is a logistical problem and not an issue of not having enough Zuyong.

Edit: Oh, and Riot Grrls are kind of special forces while Zuyong are G.I. Joes

I'm also skirting around the obvious "but why not a discount?"... but as I'm writing that I'm reminding myself that Doctor Plus** costs the same as Doctor. Still, if Yu Jing were to get +1 ARM for free on all their HI, that might be a bit stronger than what Doctor Plus provides.

* I mean, besides the Frenzy discount being very suspect in Bakunin specifically.
    ** Does anyone even use Akbar level? No, nevermind, no need to answer.

6. Mahtamori

Eh... up to a point.

There's usually something about the higher tech that's so vastly better that it makes the ball sucking quality trivial. Usually it's production cost and time. Take for instance Zhencha versus Veteran Kazak armour. It is possible that it costs Yu Jing a fraction of the time and resources to produce a Zhencha armour, meaning Yu Jing can output several hundred times the number of Zhencha armours across the same number of workers as Ariadna can make armour for Veteran Kazak. You can't really make a game where Yu Jing can buy Zuyong at AVA T for roughly the same points as an Alguacile or Line Kazak, so how do you manage the dissonance?

GW chose not to handle the dissonance and simply made Empire grav, melta and plasma tech superior even if it's laughably inferior to Eldar and Tau counterparts. So, I dread that CB would do the same.

7. SpectralOwl

The iShangJi 4, brought to you by Apple! Noticed your old iShangJi 3 armour systems shutting down to buffer in the middle of combat after the most recent software patch? We've got you covered, replacement LHost free for returning customers! Just make sure you stay logged in to our MayaNet site, or the armour will lock up to prevent unauthorised copies using our online services...

I accidentally figured out how AHDs keep working on armour systems that should not have motor systems connected to their communications. DDOS.

Kallas, Section9 and Maksimas like this.
  8. Alphz

Alphz Kuang Shi Vet. Retired.

While interesting I don't think it's actually relevant to the profile. Unlike GW Infinity doesn't have to try handwave the difference between yu Jing having a fuckton of zuyong compared to riot grrls, because it's about the small scale conflicts. Even though you might have 100s, you might still only want to bring 3 to a covert Ops.

And the technology in a Zhencha suit could represent certain things the game didn't bother to represent and that's fine too. Ultimately it's a game and things need to be fun and balanced. The background is there to provide an interesting background to anchor you imagination into

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  9. Koni

Koni BanHammer
    CB Staff

Good morning Invincible Army players,

I know you're waiting a message from me saying "army live in 5 minutes!", but unfortunately, this will not be today.

As someone metioned in other thread, shit happens, and we wanted to release the update earlier this week...but it was not possible.

So I'm here to inform you that the update will take place tomorrow, Thursday the 29th, and could be in any hour between 09:00AM and 03:00PM CET.

I'm really sorry for those of you that are so eager waiting for the update to enjoy your new profiles, but please understand that a big update like this implies a lot of things.

Also let me ask to relax a little bit the tone, please.

Thank you for your patience and have a nice day :)

#1369 Koni, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Paegis, AdmiralJCJF, Shiwen and 21 others like this.
  10. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Well even if we go by your example of what constitutes superior technology (faster production of HI), it still wouldn't matter because in the limited Black OpS insert group that make up the skirmish battles of Infinity, the HI armour of the Vet Kazak would still be comparable to the Zuyong. True, they would be fucked in a full scale war because YJ are capable of producing entire legions of Zuyongs comparable to the same amount of Kazaks that Ariadna can bring etc.

As for the GW stuff, I'm not sure I follow this definition of what you mean by superior tech. The Melta-, Grav-, Plasmagun isn't in any way superior to the Darklight/Brightlance counterparts, not even in the game itself. The Darklight weapons greatly outclasses the imperial plasma and even Lascanon counterparts, all with zero chance of overheating and harming/killing the user. Same with the Laser Lance/Heat Lance/Fire Pike across both Eldars who cuts through Land Raiders like butter, much easier than the Meltagun, which is represented in the game by having identical stats of a Meltagun but with the Lance rule on top of it (or, at least they used to. Dunno how it works in 8th edition now).

11. Benkei

Benkei Well-Known Member

12. Mahtamori

I understand what you say, but the complicating issue is that the game already makes these concessions in a few places (HD+, EI xHD, Doctor Plus) and that simply having AVA T would also somewhat handle this.
    As far as I know, I think they removed the overheating mechanic in the latest edition, leaving the Empire Melta weapons at simply +2 STR, but even with it +2 STR is pretty strong for the low chance that overheating actually does damage. I didn't actually bring up the laser weapons, not to mention that the sheer amount of different laser weapons is staggering. Let's just say laser is a simple tech that the Imperium has mastered and can actually produce. Laser Lance didn't have melta, it's a low-STR Brightlance for melee use and the Fire Pike is a relic made by literal gods (which grants it +6" range compared to Empire tech). They can't produce grav weapons at all, yet they're very prolific for a race that supposedly struggled at making grav tech to keep up with them elves during their golden age.

So I think my point stands.

13. Maksimas

Maksimas Heavy Infantry Addict Maxim

Thanks again Koni!
    Glad to hear so.

Someone please promote this man to at least a Crane Agents rank, he deserves it.

Ten Thousand Arrows likes this.
  14. SpectralOwl

You think he's a supervillain? High praise indeed!

Glad to hear that the Army release will be tomorrow. Vaguely nervous that it is in the middle of game night for me. I might be among the first to use IA on the table, and have people scream at me on the Internet about doing it wrong. Speaking of putting IA on the table, anyone have proxies in mind until sculpts release? My own Taskmaster Red Fury is a shoe-in for the role of Mowang, and a Crane could make a decent Hulang depending on weapon loadouts.

15. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Lol if they removed the overheat! x)
    I know you didn't mention the Laser weapons but I did because the Darklight weapons seems to be an odd mix of both the Lascanon/plasma gun, depending on how you look at it and on which platform.
    I think fluff wise there's no need for them to produce grav weapons, when they have hyper-rapid fire monofilament weapons to deal with fleshy/armoured troopers/monsters and heat lances/fire pikes to deal with tanks. Even then, I can't say much about the grav guns, they always sounded like stupid tech to me although from what I've heard they have been nerfed quite extensively.

Anyways, this is off topic. Yay army update for tommorow! x)

Mahtamori likes this.
  16. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Yes, thank you @Koni !

17. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Remember that the difference between a villain and a supervillain is:
    [​IMG]
    :smiling_imp:

Daofei and Tigers will be obvious proxies. Taskmaster or Kriza Boracs will make good Mowang.

The challenge is the Daoying and Hulang.

Sedral and Modock like this.
  18. Sedral

Sedral Jīnshān Task Force Officier

Hollowmen or dakinis/garudas for Daoying, domarus or any flavor of knight for hulangs. I'm kind of stuck for Haidao too, maybe something ariadnese like a tank hunter.

19. banthafodder

banthafodder Well-Known Member

Hollowman probably fits Daoying.

As for Hulang- Asawira or Daofei (use Ayyar for Zhencha). Alternatively, Domaru and Shikami.

20. Maksimas

Maksimas Heavy Infantry Addict Maxim

I said at least.
    Probably deserves as high a rank as a Hsien honestly!

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation