1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tanako Paints Things

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by TanakoSkyler22, Jan 22, 2018.

1. TanakoSkyler22

TanakoSkyler22 Varunan Diplomat

Did not have a WIP thread or Blog back on the old forum but I might as well make one here.

Major things to expect is PanO (mostly NCA) and JSA, which is the former I mostly play and the latter I am going to start up soon with the next upcoming ITS season in full. In the future I might plan to expand out to other sectorials and armies but for now those are my two primary ones.

And in no means am I really good so to speak but I am posting for some constructive criticism and the joy of sharing my hobby as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Color scheme I am doing for my NCA army. Most of my PanO stuff is going to be painted different based on sectorial for the most part.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Although unintentionally fitting the beach theme, I wanted to paint this Tech-Bee slightly in the color scheme for what I am doing for Varuna.

[​IMG]
    Some WIPs for my NCA items. Aquila Multi and Hexa Spitfire are on the block for now (save for some non-Infinity models I need to finish painting up).

2. Quill

Quill Member

Interesting colour scheme for the Bolts. The yellow is bright, but I think it contrasts well. Looking forward to what you do with your JSA :smiley:

Golem2God likes this.
  3. TanakoSkyler22

I do have some stuff painted up but it is just four Keisotsus. Will try to post them up tomorrow as it is late here on my end.

Quill likes this.
  4. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

I'm doing the same thing. It is nice hear that other people follow that kind of thinking as well.
    I like the color scheme you choose. How did you get the skin color on theTech-Bee? I have never been able to achieve a skin shade like that before.

5. jherazob

jherazob Well-Known Member

Every time i see somebody asking about how to paint non-white skintones i dig out this great guide: Ethnic Skintones. It even has some recipes. Hopefully it'll help.

6. TanakoSkyler22

If being honest, kind of by accident but I do like the result. :P Wanted to go a little lighter to go for a Latin American skin tone but still works.

Used a base of Ratskin flesh from GW then a wash of Reikland fleshshade. Afterwards I drybrushed a relative 1:1 mix of vallejo model color Leather Brown and Ratskin flesh. By no means should I be used as a guide of course, but this is was what I remembered off the top of my head.

This I want to keep around now. Considering I play PanO and it does give you a chance to play around with different Ethnicities due to the fact a lot of various cultures are part of it. Although I have done Japanese skin tone a little different from that, but then again I was following a guide from Warlord Games when I did some of my Americans as Nisei.

Golem2God and jherazob like this.
  7. TanakoSkyler22

Since I did mention I am doing JSA, I wanted to grab some of the photos of what I have done to share. Not much but it is a start.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. TanakoSkyler22

Managed to finish up Multi Aquila along with my Spitfire Hexa.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spitfire Hexa
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next for my W.I.Ps that are on the chopping block. Armbot Bulleteer and a badly green-stuffed Order Sargent I tried to make into an Hexa hacker.
    [​IMG]

Quill, taylor and Golem2God like this.
  9. Brawler

Brawler Well-Known Member

Hey man, good job! I always have a hard time answering to these posts. I am in by no means a professional painter myself, but during the years I have slowly learned and progresse.
    So, rather than giving you the classic advice on thinning paints, tutorials, how to layer etc. I will only say this:
    Keep up the goddamn good job! The only way to progress is by picking up that brush again and again. Documenting your painted minis is also great, pick them out a year later and compare, I promise you will have made progress.
    Keep it up mate!

10. TanakoSkyler22

Indeed, and granted it can help to giving some constructive criticism the best you can suggest is tell someone to keep going at it. Eventually they will get the skill to do that through practice and the like.

jherazob, Brawler and Golem2God like this.
  11. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Yeah. There are also some great tutorials out there as well.

Belgrim likes this.
  12. Quill

Quill Member

I agree with all the above, you're doing really well. Also I dig the colour schemes for your minis. Those Keisotsus in the green and magenta look pretty damn good. I've never particularly liked the official colours for Yu Jing, I've always been drawn more to those models that have been given an alternative paintjob at odds with the usual bright orange or white of the JSA. So yeah, keep on doing what you're doing.

13. snikch

snikch Active Member

looks too dark...
    In my opion you need more contrast...
    see my keisotsu (not finished yet)...it got dark colours and light aswell to ig doesn't look too dark.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Golem2God and TanakoSkyler22 like this.
  14. TanakoSkyler22

Finished up with my Bulleteers. Think it was overall better with my yellows but they still need work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is some other wips I plan to get done soon. The biggest one is working on more of my JSA.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Quill, taylor and jherazob like this.
  15. snikch

snikch Active Member

that paint is too thick...try to thin it a little bit

16. TanakoSkyler22

That is drybrushed on. That said, I feel I like the yellow is meh and hard for me to get down right.

snikch likes this.
  17. snikch

snikch Active Member

well, drybrush means the brush was not too much paint...it doesnt mean you have to pick it up right from de bottle and dry the paint on it.

its just a tip to improve your painting abilities...

mix 1:2 o even 1:3 paint/water ratio and it's gonna look very different.

you have to see like is difficult to paint the colour and you have to do some more lays, but that'ts the way

Whaleofforum likes this.
  18. TanakoSkyler22

Yeah that I know. And that is what I have been doing with going from VMC German Yellow, wash, mix of German Yellow and a brighter yellow.

Think my problem is trying to guesswork how much water I use. Yellow seems to get almost too watery for me for some reason.

19. taylor

taylor Well-Known Member
    Warcor

What I do is keep an empty Vallejo bottle and fill it with water, So I can measure how many drops I use. I usually thin my paints at a 2:1 ratio (2 drops of paint, 1 drop of water).

TanakoSkyler22 likes this.
  20. TanakoSkyler22

Honestly, that is what I might do with one paint bottle I am done with. Otherwise, I just use water straight from the pot I clean from (which might be me being lazy as well and wanting to get them painted).

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation