1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If Jammers ignore Camouflage modifiers, why doesn't an attacker with Sixth Sense?

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Hecaton, Nov 8, 2018.

1. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

For the record, total cover is when LOF is blocked by terrain obscuring completely or sufficiently the targets silhouette that no LOF can be drawn, LOF is the line drawn from the 180 front arc to the targets silhouette.

A sixth sense model can fire outside of its LOF but still needs to draw a line between the two models, total cover will not block its line and prevent it from firing, Jammer ignores the limitations of needing to draw the line of fire hence ignores the limitations total cover would provide.

A Mão Esquerda and Wolf like this.
  2. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

And this is a problem of wording as both Jammer and SS2 have the same, while first one talks about "absolute" LoF, 2nd one is saying about "potential LoF if model have had or not MSV2/360 visor".

Hecaton likes this.
  3. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Well is is outside of its LOF Jammer is ignoring LOF

A Mão Esquerda likes this.
  4. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Well Jammer can shoot through friendlies and SS2 doesn't allow you to do that while both do state they ignore LoF.

5. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Technically I think SS lets you shoot through friendlies as it's LoF blocking that isn't cover.

6. Hecaton

This just isn't true, and it's pointless to pretend it's true.

7. Hecaton

@psychoticstorm That distinction you're pointing out isn't actually enumerated in the rules. Hell, for all I know Sixth Sense lets you shoot through walls.

8. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Sixth Sense doesn't let you shoot through walls.

9. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

We know, but that's not quite what they managed to write.

Hecaton and YueFei23 like this.
  10. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Hecaton pretends he doesn't know. This is his point and ultimately it's valid: both Jammer and Sixth Sense need a rewrite.

BUT it's playable if you use the rules clarification heirarchy most people use (FAQ>HellLois/Palanka>IJW>consensus).

The best way to deal with this is go "hey this is odd, can we get it fixed" and then accept how it's actually played.

11. YueFei23

YueFei23 Durian Inspector

Agreed with confusion over Sixth Sense, that rule would definitely benefit from rewording. "Everybody knows" Sixth Sense doesn't let you shoot back at someone spec firing you over a building, but from what I've seen nobody can point to where in the rules it is disallowed without descending into a loop of circular logic. You have to cut the gordian knot and just play it as everyone else does.

It leaves certain questions hanging, like how does smoke and SSL2 interact - if I'm in smoke and an enemy moves into base to base with me and attacks, can I shoot back with a normal roll ignoring the smoke because I don't need LoF? Or do I just hit back with a normal roll in combat?

It plays well and doesn't seem to cause that many issues in games once you've got it, but it's really difficult to parse the text of the rule.

12. Vanderbane

Vanderbane Well-Known Member

I always took it from the example in SSL1, which states

"The Alguacil declares a BS Attack as the second Short Skill of his Order. Now that she is the target of an Attack, the Maakrep Tracker uses her Sixth Sense L1 to react as if she was facing towards the Alguacil. The Tracker chooses to declare a BS Attack so the Order is resolved with a Face to Face BS Roll between both soldiers."

Emphasis mine.

So in the spec fire over a building case, you can react as if you are facing the enemy, which does you a hill of beans worth of good. But if you are being shot in the back arc, it matters a lot.

Berjiz, Xeurian, Zewrath and 2 others like this.
  13. Hecaton

The rules text uses "even without LoF to the attacker" as well as "regardless of the facing of the user" so we can gather these are two different things that Sixth Sense grants both of.

14. Mahtamori

That is a natural deduction from reading only the text, but we forum regulars should know that the first line is what CB wrote and the last line is what IJW managed to get them to add and is actually what CB thought about when writing the first passage.

inane.imp likes this.
  15. Hecaton

Is it? I don't know that for certain. Seriously. Sometimes I'm pretty confident about the intent of a rule, but here I'm not.

16. Mahtamori

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation