1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battle reports and Yan Huo

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by siri, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Shinen

Shinen Well-Known Member

Had only one game with the ml+neuro. It was an uphill battle for my enemy because i had luck and he failed every dice roll so i don't think that this game is very representative. I killed every of his attack pieces in my reactive turn, the rest died on my aktive turn by an Hac Tao KHD... he sold his haqqislam on the same day... im not very proud about that :(

siri likes this.
  2. PsychoCrane

PsychoCrane Active Member

Sad to hear that. In the games I have seen in my local group, the ml+neuro was done in by the ever present fiday.
    I might try a little monk support for the yan huo in the near future...

3. Ghost

Ghost New Member

I recently had a game with a ML+N vs PanO, and two other games with ML+N. All three generally went the same.

The PanO guy hasn't been playing for long, so not the best test case, but the table was perfect for the Han Yuo.

I've heard it mentioned before, and that's what I did. You basically want to put the Yan Huo to try only cover a single important fire line. You don't want to play it like this awesome 'wtf pwn everything' ARO piece you can throw prone on a roof. The more you expose it, the more options you give for your opponent to counter it.

Try and put it in a place where it will either take out whats coming down that single lane, or force your opponent to waste a lot of orders to try get a counter to it.

In my PanO game, there was a kind of long corridor on one side the the map. I had him cover that, but I also had Guilang SK with mines covering flanks, and also one with minelayer had placed in a mine in that corridor to delay anyone rushing Yan Huo. There was also a Daofei covering some roof access.

Like, I said, the PanO guy was a bit new, and even after I explained everything about the bursts, he decided to have a fusilier fire a missile into it, and lost. He later tried to have a Orc Troop rush the Yan Huo, after they dealt with the mine, and that went badly for him too.

Tl;dr my advice is to try use him as an area denial piece for a single section, instead of trying of trying to have him watch everything. Great way to make your opponent shift as well, as they 'give up' on that area, then an Infiltrator or AD takes advantage of the gap (obviously depends on order of deployment and such).

4. Joametz

Joametz Chinese Empire in Space enthusiast

Neuro ML is not that good because you are paying a lot for an ARO piece that doesn’t have Courage IMO.

Bellyflop likes this.
  5. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

I"m not big into the neruo either. You are still going to be out gunned in ARO. 2 shots vs. 3 or more most times. At least in active turn it's 2 vs 1 or 2 if it's a link team. Plus because you want him to ARO he can almost never go prone. why would you?

#25 Space Ranger, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  6. SpectralOwl

In my opinion, V:Courage isn't much of a factor. An enemy is only going to attack a well-positioned YHNTML with something that can beat it in face-to-face reliably, unless they make a mistake. It's pricy, so unless the lane absolutely must stay clear, I'd likely fail Guts if the enemy is using something with a credible chance to wound so I can reuse the Yan Huo on a later turn, or in active turn. Even if it's just Pistol shots pinging off the armour, it still has a 2/3rds chance to pass the Guts check anyway, and usually my Armour Saves let me down long before somebody's nerves do.

All V:Courage lets you do for most practical purposes is waste about two more orders- which can be worth it, but if I wanted to waste orders I'd use a TR bot and rely on winning face-to-face or requiring lots of maneuvering to beat rather than tanking on armour. The YHNTML threatens death to anything, it doesn't need to be brave if the enemy's too scared to fight it.

Stuffist and Mahtamori like this.
  7. Stuffist

Stuffist Well-Known Member

I like the idea: who needs to be brave when it's enough to be scary?

siri and Deltervees like this.
  8. REND

REND Well-Known Member

Most of my games with the Yan huo are too old to be clear in my memory, however whether it's a single one or two of them the Yan huo were generally a really fun and useful piece to have on the table. The only one that doesn't really have a place (currently) is the multi-HMG but that may change with IA. The HRMC is great in the active turn and can get a lot of work done if you're careful with it. I'm quite a fan of both types of missile options. Regular having burst 2 in the active turn with missiles makes it one of our best sniper pieces and that's probably the best way to think of it. The neurocinetics option is a solid ARO piece and can be very useful supporting a co-ordinated order. Don't imagine that it can hold it's own against anything but taking a TR bot and deploying them with with overlapping fire-lanes can sometimes give opponents a very hard time.

I'm a bit confused by complaints about the Yan Huo's lack of courage. If things are going well then I don't need to take a test because I've won the face to face roll. If things went wrong and I had to take saves then, if I survive, will I really want to stay stood against the thing that beat me in the prior shoot-out? It's still a decent chance of passing that Wip test anyway. If I was just unlucky, took a single wound, really wanted it to stay stood up guarding the approach but failed the Wip roll and had to hide, well my opponent still hasn't killed it and will have to either get something all the way up to the yan huo or accept that it's going to be back again providing a threat next turn. (As mentioned earlier, as part of a co-ordinated order the neurocinetic missile guy is a boss.)

It is entirely feasible to fit a pair of Yan huo and Sun Tze into a list. The extra odds in winning initial roll-off for initiative or deployment along with the extra hold-back are great for ensuring the go down in useful places as well as denying the opponent irksome easy counters with impersonation markers and the like. (Shinobu and oniwaban can still be a problem but at least the yan huo can go down after them.) I used to enjoy running such a list quite a lot before uprising went and changed everything.

Deltervees likes this.
  9. YueFei23

YueFei23 Durian Inspector

The 2ML active turn Yan Huo might be quite good also - you could use him much the same as the HRMC, only with the joy of catching multiple models in blasts if you saw an opportunity.

The neurocinetics ML is interesting, and has an added bonus of firing two pistol shots in ARO if anything tries to close with it. However it is a big target for your opponent to deal with and can't really beat buffed link team members with high burst weapons reliably. There are really hard counters out there, like smoke and MSV2 hmg or coordinated orders with 4 daylami panzerfausts etc. It seems a lot to invest in locking one fire lane down, sometimes it will do that job and wreck things on the way. More often it'll die to strong active turn strategies and leave a 2 SWC and 50 point gap in your list.

siri likes this.
  10. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

Was this posted in the english forums before?

[​IMG]

siri likes this.
  11. Fire@Will

Fire@Will Well-Known Member

I've seen it, and thought initially it might be 2ML and MHMG in a Haris of other HI, but seeing that photo again made me think... what if the Haris involves a Guijia...

12. Kallas

Kallas Vincible

If it's Guijia + 1-2 Yan Huo, it'll be a novelty and probably unplayable. That'd be a minimum (assuming no other changes) of 192|6(!) (or 142|4 for two models) - that's pretty much unplayable. Hilarious, but not really sustainable.

But who knows, maybe the sheer firepower will outweigh all of the possible shutdown avenues? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13. REND

REND Well-Known Member

The special haris team for Yan huo will hopefully feature a zuyong because those guys are meant to be the backbone of IA after all. I could see there being some flexibility for team builds but it's going to be very dependent on those wildcard options.

To be honest I'm somewhat hesitant at the prospect of a burst 3 missile launcher platform. If we can have the multi-hmg yan huo in the haris that will definitely let that see play but best case scenario would be letting us put a cheap remote in there with them.

siri likes this.
  14. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

B2 with a MHMG in ARO is promising :-)

siri likes this.
  15. siri

siri Well-Known Member

Well, we can even have a new lieutenant option with a +1 SWC in the link ! :) LOL

16. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

That would go a long way to improving the Invincible Army listbuilding. With what we know now, I'm always taking the Zuyong HMG Automedikit LT, just to have 3x heavy weapons and a hacker.

Sedral and siri like this.
  17. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Was there a news drop I missed?

18. siri

siri Well-Known Member

No. Just a dream ! Lol!

19. krossaks

krossaks Well-Known Member

In vanilla sadly the Neuro Yan Huo is outclassed by the Hac Tao i quality and for Lunah in cost, but i have great hopes of a Yan Huo doublre missile launcher linked in haris with remotes or Terracotas. The HMG one may haris to don't know it will be a nice way to sell the miniature XD. Anyway in vanilla the MRC still be the best option

20. IAGO242

IAGO242 Executive Officer

Just played a tournament game with my HRMC and it managed to slaughter many Japanese. Played supremacy. Deployed it on the flank and it did a great job, killing ryuuken 9, yojimbo, a karakuri, a warcor, a keisotsu. Good times.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation