1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just a bit of clarification

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by MikeTheScrivener, Oct 30, 2018.

1. MikeTheScrivener

MikeTheScrivener O-12 Peace Kepper

Screen Shot 2018-10-30 at 10.02.58 AM.png

I'm assuming he meant can't deploy the mine, and google translate has failed?
    If not, how does this work? what does that mean?

fenren likes this.
  2. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

3. Zewrath

Zewrath Elitist Jerk

Wouldn't it be better to provide a link and context, rather than a standalone screen shot?

chromedog and toadchild like this.
  4. MikeTheScrivener

Wolf likes this.
  5. DukeofEarl

DukeofEarl Well-Known Member

I was going to PM him about that. Pretty sure there is a missing "not" in the second sentence, just by the context of the first.

inane.imp likes this.
  6. MikeTheScrivener

yeah, I agree.

But I wanted to be sure – the last thing we need is confusion about a rules clarification that was clarifying some confusion

inane.imp and fenren like this.
  7. fenren

fenren Active Member

Thanks for following up on this folks, I was rather confused by this one as well, but left with no way to respond.

From what I read solkan clarified it pretty well. I hope.

Essentially the first declaration (move or mine) to occupy the space takes precedence. I.e. if a mine is declared first in that spot, via declaration only, the marker placed upon declaration prevents further movement to that spot. If the active trooper moves too close for the reactive player to deploy a mine in ARO, it is simply an illegal play. As mahtamori pointed out, due to to "Movement that does not require a roll is executed immediately according to the general movement rules."

And the mine, if it was declared in an open space first, is "deployed" ie active at upon the Conclusion of the order.

I think the thing we need confirmation on is: If the reactive player declares a mine placement in a space that has not yet been declared as a place the active player is moving does the placement of the camo marker upon declaration block further movement into that space?

Feel free to yell at me if I mucked this all up. That's what I took away from the thread.

#7 fenren, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  8. MikeTheScrivener

This is the part I am iffy on. I could see it going other way. this is what I would like some clarification on or an expansion on the original hellois post

Bear in mind you can always just play the mine behind you, it just has to be BtB, not in your 180. there is probably rarely a time when you absolutely cannot place a mine, even if someone runs into BtB with you as the first short skill.

9. fenren

fenren Active Member

MikeTheScrivener No matter where the open space is, the question still stands. What happens when you both declare that space for mine deployment / movement? When a trooper is in a corner on ground level or a roof top they often do not have more than two spots to place the mine.

Either way, I appreciate the feedback and look forward to clarification!

10. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

The original question was framed as:
    Step 3. Move to 1mm away from model.
    Step 4. Place mine in space occupied by enemy model
    Step 5. Do something else
    Step 6. Deploy Mine becomes an Idle

This is one scenario (see @Mahtamori's post in the previous thread).

The other scenario we needed clarified was:
    Step 3: Do something in LOF of the Trooper.
    Step 4. Deploy Mine (placing the marker)
    Step 5. Move into the space occupied by the marker
    Step 6. Deploy Mine is no longer valid and becomes an Idle

I think based on @HellLois saying that the Mine is placed during Conclusion is that both scenarios are played as described above (Mine is not placed). But it's difficult to tell because both scenarios were discussed in the thread and @HellLois only refers to a single scenario in his answer.

Edit: personally I think the outcome @fenren describes is a better gameplay experience and is more intuitive but that what I describe above is RAW. Here's hoping that @HellLois meant that. :)

#10 inane.imp, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  11. DukeofEarl

"Hmm, did that guy just set up a mine? I'll go stand on it to check!"

inane.imp likes this.
  12. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

This question is justified, but why haven't you put it in the other thread and used the "@name"?

13. DukeofEarl

The other thread is locked so you can not post in it.

14. MikeTheScrivener

it was "solved" apparently.....

15. Sabin76

Sabin76 Well-Known Member

This isn't the first time a thread was "solved" while at the same time creating just as many questions as the original thread...

Is there no functionality here like there was on the last forum, where someone like Hellois could just mark a particular post (that hopefully had all of the context) as correct? Was there a problem with doing it that way?

16. inane.imp

Yes.
    A. Quite often the 'Solved' post was the right answer but for the wrong reasons, which made generalising impossible.
    B. Quite often even if the argument was correct it was expressed imperfectly (usually by mistating the order expenditure sequence)
    C. It's less obvious than an @HellLois or @Palanka post is

The issue with the present system is that Solving a thread locks it. A 72hr-1wk follow-up period would be ideal. But that requires a conversation about the rule rather than a pronouncement and significantly more effort.

It's worth noting that @HellLois's answer doesn't create more questions it just doesn't clearly answer the questions that already existed in the thread it solved (and then probably only due to a typo/not realising that we were discussing two different scenarios).

Edit: in this particular instance, @psychoticstorm merging this thread with the original and @HellLois reiterating the answer but addressing these questions is the best option.

#16 inane.imp, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    fenren and daboarder like this.
  17. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

Ah, OK. Sry.

18. HellLois

HellLois What the Hell...Lois?
    CB Staff

Hi! I only move the thread, but no close it, but even me cant write there :P so I move it again.
    Lets talk about it.

#18 HellLois, Oct 31, 2018
  19. inane.imp

@psychoticstorm can you merge this with the other thread please :)

@HellLois how do you resolve Mine placement when a Trooper is in or wishes to move into the space that will be occupied by a Mine (or other Deployable Equipment) at the Conclusion of the Order?
    Do you:
    A.resolve it in favour of whichever was declared first (you can't move into the space in which the Mine will appear and you can't place a Mine in the space occupied by a Trooper), or
    B. The Deploy [Equipment] becomes an Idle if a Trooper moves into the space occupied by the Mine prior to the Mine's placement being resolved during the Conclusion of the Order

Edit: in hindsight I'll follow up in the other thread.

#19 inane.imp, Oct 31, 2018
  20. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

I am worried on how much more broken the thread will be with the merged posts.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation