1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Happy Thread : Liu xing!

Discussion in 'Yu Jing' started by ObviousGray, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I'm on the other side of that fence. Assuming ExplodeX is worthwhile I might use it in vanilla where spare orders are easier to come by.

In a game where a Speculo is as cheap as it is, I'm not sure there exists an upper limit to what is a reasonable damage value on the explosion. Well... maybe there does exist limits, but all I'm saying is that there exists units in game that has stretched those limits kind of far.

Kallas likes this.
  2. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member

Yeah, if Explode LX isn't, well, exactly what we figure it is going to be (and also assuming the current ITS Combat Jump rules become core) then the Liu Xing might be worth the trouble. But I'm expecting DMG 13, Shock, and with the template either just being the landing zone, or centered on the model in question. If it is just that, then it isn't really doing anything extra for the profile and is a far cry from what others (including us until six months ago) could do in the enemy back field.

We'll just have to see, but I wouldn't get any hopes up about it.

Kallas likes this.
  3. Kallas

Kallas Vincible

I really hope Explode LX is worth something. D13/Shock is ok for hunting Cheerleaders, and if that's the case then that's like what the Liu Xing will become: a tool to try and strip out the opponent's order pool. As it's a one-shot (presumably?) tool, it'll need to either be pretty decent, or not contribute much to its cost (and it looks like it's contributing a fair amount to the cost at the moment, without knowing what exactly it does).

4. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

I'm expecting Explode LX to work exactly like the Caskuda did in N2. Dam13 Shock in a circular template centered on the Liu Xing at the moment of landing. Can be dodged, at PH-6 in N2 (think that's down to PH-3 in N3).

Mruczyslaw likes this.
  5. Triumph

Triumph Well-Known Member

Gonna be pretty mediocre if that's all it is.

Zewrath likes this.
  6. Section9

So how would you make it better?

(Also, having lower expectations makes things like the MO update be a very pleasant surprise!)

jimbo slice likes this.
  7. Triumph

It either needs the risk vs reward ratio improved, which I'm not particularly in favour of, or just removing the risk factor and making it reliable which I would prefer.

Something like the template always strike the initial drop target regardless of where the dispersion causes him to wind up. Removes the "ok, well I guess I fucking lose then" feel to the model and not feel like his shitty CC stat where you pay something for nothing.

8. jimbo slice

jimbo slice Well-Known Member

I don't think I've seen anyone mention that the pangguling has a special fireteam. Depending on what it is with, that could really boost the potential for the Liu Xing, and IA in general.

The EVO brings the same utility as a regular HD, comes with even more supportware, and boosts AD and sensor bots. If the army is going to need to rely on remotes for cheaper orders it's good multitasker to include.

I just really hope it can link with more than Zhanshi...

9. SpectralOwl

I've thought about it a bit more, and I can actually see the Liu Xing becoming more useful the more of them you have. Combat Jump can be Coordinated, and three Liu Xings dropping on 15s with Shock can threaten basically every strongpoint in a deployment zone, decapitate an obvious lieutenant or even one with a few decoys, or wipe out the entire hacking presence of a list, as well as having multiple HI left in the enemy backline to sap even more orders. I'm not pretending that alone makes it worth the 110-120 points of investment, but very few players prepare for that scale of attack coming in from behind.

10. jimbo slice

jimbo slice Well-Known Member

I love this idea so much!

11. Triumph

It's an interesting idea, I think it's meme list worthy at the very least. It'll hinge alot on how much the rest of the list costs and whether you can bulk out the order count.

12. ambisinister

ambisinister Broken Zoetrope

@Section9 If it resolves with the same timing as explode lvl 1, then it does so after order resolution. That’s probably the most reliable it could be. An interesting way to split the difference between that and an unopposed dodge would be to make the dodge face to face against the jump roll.

13. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

It might not be all pangulings that can link. I remember there being a new kind of Panguling in the Yuandud CBLs. It's probably going to be that thing.

14. Triumph

Ah, wait a minute this doesn't work. You've gotta drop them all in the same drop zone for a coordinated drop. Unless you can super justify dropping 3 templates spaced out around the edge of 1 drop zone which is pretty hard...

You'd have to drop them individually. On the plus side if the first one can kill a hacker it'll lower the amount of F2F rolls you gotta deal with.

15. Spleen

Spleen Well-Known Member

I'll be pretty okay if this is the thing I'm using to bulk out my HI links:

upload_2018-10-22_15-33-28.png

Although frankly I'm holding out hope for the TR pangguling at BS14 with SSL2

Also, I'd be very surprised if Explode LX has shock

16. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

Has it been confirmed that they can join HI links? All we know is that it's special right?

It would be nice if the heavy pistol and wildcard linkability was free though. Every player would max AVA.

17. ambisinister

ambisinister Broken Zoetrope

This also raises the additional question of “If explode hits friendlies will coordinated shooting stars blow each other up?”.

18. Nemo No Name

Nemo No Name Aleph Cultural Atache

Why surprised? Why should it not have Shock?

Mruczyslaw likes this.
  19. Section9

Fluff-wise, it's because this 'explosion' is just the retro-rockets. It'd be closer to a concussion grenade than a fragmentation grenade. You're probably talking about 500-800lbs of trooper landing after using max speed to get through the air defenses, and a 'suicide burn' immediately before impact, about like the Falcon rockets use to recycle their first stages.

Though it also depends on what kind of thrusters YJ decided to use. You can use nukes to propel a spaceship (or dropship), after all, and those would make one hell of a 'suppression burn'!

20. Flipswitch

Flipswitch Sepsitorised by Intent

This trooper is genuinely concerning, unlike the old Caskuda, you can pin point his small base (assuming it combines with the Season 10 rules!) even more accurately. This is going to be a worrying way to snipe Lts if you take obvious ones. NWI/Bioimmunity means you really need to compromise your positioning to deal with their rampages and against IA/YJ, you absolutely HAVE to take into account they may have one.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation