1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does dead baggage continue to modify retreat threshold?

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by Captain Spud, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Captain Spud

Captain Spud Maker of Things

My opponent's army includes a baggage bot that has died, and starts his turn with 78 points on the board. Does he go into retreat?

Relevant passages:
    The hive mind on WGC Infinity came to the conclusion that because baggage is an Automatic equipment, all of its rules are entirely cancelled when the model is unconscious-- so, while alive, a baggage bot is worth 28 points and your retreat threshold is 80pts. If it dies, the bot is worth 8 points (in, for example, Annihilation) and your retreat threshold is 75pts.

My TO is arguing that the modified threshold still applies because of the text in Baggage Example 1:

"When deploying [...], the player calculates [...] ." His argument is that due to the wording, this calculation is made at a specific time, during your deployment, and doesn't change later based on model states.

I can see both arguments. Is there an official ruling on which one is correct?

#1 Captain Spud, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    inane.imp likes this.
  2. FatherKnowsBest

FatherKnowsBest Red Knight of Curmudgeon

lol. I wouldn't go there for an answer.

TO doesn't have to argue.

Icchan, theradrussian and chromedog like this.
  3. Captain Spud

1) A TO's job in a ruling situation isn't to be right-- it's to move the game forward. But after the event is over, it's good to find out what the correct interpretation is for the next time a situation comes up.

Hence this thread.

2) "My TO is arguing" does not mean "I am having an unpleasant conflict with my TO". It means that several potentially valid positions have been put forth, and that is the one my TO is advocating.

4. Thaddius

Thaddius Well-Known Member

Interesting. I think the TO's ruling is actually pretty sound. I'm also poor at maths so assuming multiple baggage bots and the possibility of having some destroyed and others alive it's much cleaner having a single retreats value rather than having to recalculate.

It is a poor reason for wanting to keep it as a single figure though nothing in Infinity is clean :)

5. Cervantes3773

Cervantes3773 Rogue AI
    Warcor

The benefit of baggage is that it counts towards domination and makes retreat slightly less likely. The risk of baggage is, if the trooper with it dies, you've lost all those points.

Your opponent was in retreat.

FatherKnowsBest likes this.
  6. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

RAW, the TO was right, but based off of that example, CB doesn't play it that way, so who knows. Another example of CB writing shoddy rules and expecting us to do the legwork to patch it up.

theradrussian likes this.
  7. Tom McTrouble

Tom McTrouble Well-Known Member

Just FYI when units with baggage go unconcious in army mobile, it changes your pts at which retreat occurs to not include the baggage points. Not anywhere close to an official answer but it seems to be a really specific way to program if that isnt the deliberate intention.

BLOODGOD and Urobros like this.
  8. Gunmage

Gunmage General Contact Unit

The way I see it, Baggage doesn't really make you less likely to retreat. The chart in the wiki shows that the retreat threshold for a 300pt army with a single Baggage trooper would be 80pts (i.e. calculated from adjusted-to-account-for-Baggage 320 pts, not base 300) - the same 75% losses.

9. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

I've always played it that the extra points from baggage always count; your retreat threshold is based off of the larger value and baggage bots are worth 28 points whether alive or dead.

10. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

It's an Automatic skill. It turns off when in a Null state.

Null Baggage does not count to your Retreat threshold.

No there isn't an official answer. @ijw @tox

daboarder likes this.
  11. ijw

ijw Ian Wood aka the Wargaming Trader. Rules & Wiki
    Infinity Rules Staff Warcor

It's also worth remembering that Baggage also doesn't count for kills, for the exact same reason.

BLOODGOD likes this.
  12. HarlequinOfDeath

HarlequinOfDeath Tha Taskmastaaa
    Warcor

@ijw Interesting. We always played it at tournaments that Baggage counts towards surviving army points as well as kill points to make it more rewarding but more risky as well.

So we only count it towards surviving army points?

13. ijw

As inane.imp says:
    There's nothing in the Baggage rule that gives an exception.

14. Captain Spud

So just to make it explicit: if all of your baggage has died, your retreat threshold resets back down to 75?

15. ijw

Yes. Although most people haven't been playing that way, I can't see any reading of the Baggage rules that would keep the Retreat threshold higher.

daboarder, BLOODGOD and Captain Spud like this.
  16. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

17. eciu

eciu Easter worshiper

Interesting. I had similar problem on Interplanetario and I think TO's advice was to count baggage (20 pts) also in "points killed" as neither I or my opponent were sure how to actually resolve that.

18. psychoticstorm

psychoticstorm Aleph's rogue child

Indeed most people play it wrong.

19. toadchild

toadchild Premeasure

Just to summarize -
    1. The game tells you when to calculate your retreat threshold, and at that time all your baggage is alive. You're never directed/permitted to alter it during the course of the game.
    2. When a baggage bot dies, its baggage rule stops working. But that still means you just lots those additional points it was providing.

20. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

yes, and that when from retreat is "at the beginning of their Active Turn, during the Tactical Phase,"
    Which is also the same timing as from the Baggage rule : "Players apply that increase when calculating the Victory Points the player has during the Retreat! Check of the Active Turn's Tactical Phase."

How many Active Turn do you have in a game ? 3 (generally speaking). So if at your second Active Turn's Tactical phase, you have no model with Baggage, then there is no Baggage modifier to apply when you calculate your threshold.

not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean you don't recalculate in the middle of you turn ? That I agree. If you mean you don't recalculate at your following Active Turn Tactical Phase when instructed to do so, that i disagree.

daboarder likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation