1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discover v. IMP1 then IMP2

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by RobertShepherd, Oct 9, 2018.

1. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

Hypothetical:

Two fusiliers are attempting to unmask an enemy IMP1 marker. Fusilier #1 attempts to discover and fails. Fusilier number #2 then attempts to discover and succeeds, flipping the enemy to the IMP2 state.

Can fusilier #1 now attempt a new discover roll against the IMP2 marker?

I believe this was raised in an old forum thread (http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/topic/46715-dicoverdiscover-against-imp1/ ) where IJW notes that the IMP2 marker is a new marker (so a new discover roll can be made even if a model failed a roll against the previous IMP1 marker), but the subsequent follow up question about whether the impersonation rules are inconsistent with the general discover rules in the same thread was never resolved.

2. Spleen

Spleen Well-Known Member

I don't think you could discover the new impersonation marker because it's still the same impersonator

"If an enemy fails his Discover Roll, that enemy cannot attempt to Discover the same impersonator until the next (Active or Reactive) Turn."

This is a different restriction to the base restriction on discovering the same marker multiple times, I think it would even apply if you fully revealed the impersonator and then he re-impersonated entering IMP-1 again.

Hachiman Taro likes this.
  3. RobertShepherd

RobertShepherd Antipodean midwit

Yep, the rules for Discover and Impersonation are inconsistent. Generally I'd assume the specific overrides the general, but IJW was pretty clear in the thread that I linked.

4. Gunmage

Gunmage General Contact Unit

I have to note that if in that "specific over general" the Discover skill is "specific", then its first bullet would make two levels of Impersonation state useless: it says that if Discoverer passes his WIP roll, then the target "is no longer represented with a Camouflage, TO Camouflage, Impersonation (...) Marker, and must be represented by the actual Trooper model or Weapon or Equipment Marker" - not another IMP marker. Thus, I'd say that it's the state (Camo, TO, Impersonation) rules that are "specific" and Discover is "general".

RobertShepherd likes this.
  5. Hachiman Taro

Hachiman Taro Inverted gadfly

IJW didn't really answer the question you asked in the thread you linked (he just essentially said a discovered IMP1 marker is replaced by an IMP2 marker).

He answered a similar question about double discover here though http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/topic/44258-discover-discover-vs-impersonator/?page=1 with essentially the same answer Spleen gave you.

Once a trooper fails to discover an Impersonator, the same troop can't discover the same Impersonator again in the same turn. As clearly stated in the Impersonator state rules.

#5 Hachiman Taro, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    RobertShepherd likes this.
  6. zapp

zapp Well-Known Member

In another thread there was a conclusion that the model is still the same impersonator, even with two different marker states. So you cannot discover it if you failed once.
    I tried to ask for definition what exactly a impersonator is. To my knowledge, it is the only case where the marker state is overridden by a rule that sums up two marker states to one new something.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation