1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Martial arts lvl 4 splitting attacks vs natural born warrior

Discussion in '[Archived]: N3 Rules' started by kinginyellow, Oct 8, 2018.

1. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

So this is a bit of a weird set up but the end result, I have no idea how to resolve.

If a model with martial arts level 4 walks into btb with 2 enemy models, atleast one of them having natural born warrior. The 2 enemy models have some means of not declaring aros after the first short skill (the entirety of the fight takes place in smoke and the artist uses stealth, or the 2 enemy models are in a link team big enough to give sixth sense level 2 so can delay)

The martial artist then declares lvl 4 and puts 1 dice on each target. The natural born warrior uses his namesake skill and removes the martial artists increased burst.

Here is the question, what happens next? Who chooses the martial artists new single dice target? Is the artist choosing them or natural born warrior?

Thanks.

#1 kinginyellow, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  2. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

It is the Martial Artist who distributes burst, so that player has to decide which burst gets cancelled.

3. solkan

solkan Well-Known Member

From the skill’s own examples:
    Señor Massacre, a Mercenary possessing the Natural Born Warrior Special Skill, is engaged in CC with Miyamoto Mushashi, a Mercenary with the Martial Arts L5 Special Skill. If Sr. Massacre declares the use of Combat Mode A, Mushashi will cannot use any of his Martial Arts levels, but he can apply V: Courage if he wishes so.
    Mushashi cannot use his Dual Wield CC Special Skill, so he must choose which Special Ammunition he will use instead of combining the effects of both.
    Let's suppose Mushashi is engaged in CC with Señor Massacre and two Jaguars. Then, Mushashi and declares the use of the Martial Arts L5 against his adversaries, and Sr. Massacre declares the use of Combat Mode A. This means that Martial Arts L5 is cancelled, so Mushashi must now choose only one target amongst his three opponents. However, if Mushashi declares the use of the Level 5 against only the two Jaguars, then Sr. Massacre cannot declare the use of Combat Mode A, because he is not the target of a CC Attack.

In other words, you’re placing the dice too soon. Don’t do it until NBW and other potential Modifiers have been declared. So you declare targets, then NBW, then split burst.

#3 solkan, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    theradrussian likes this.
  4. Arkhos94

Arkhos94 Well-Known Member

I think you are wrong. In @kinginyellow question the reactive troop can delay their ARO so :
    1) Active declare something
    2) Reactive declare delay
    3) Active declare CC attack. He has to say who is his target so if he want to use his MA lvl 4 to hit 2 people he must say it now and split his burst now (split burst on declaration, like a BS attack)
    4) Reactive declare CC attack ARO, declare use of NBW and break MA lvl 4

5. tox

tox SorriBarai
    Warcor

@Arkhos94 the answer is in the quoted part

6. Robock

Robock Well-Known Member

Following the example you then get step 5) as MA4/MA5 broke, you must re-declare who will be your only target.

I agree you declare target and burst at the same time. Not targets, NBW, then burst.

Arkhos94 likes this.
  7. SoMann

SoMann Member

8. kinginyellow

kinginyellow Well-Known Member

Alright, thanks guys! Seems it is the active model redecides his attacks after the NBW declares his aro.

Does he get to rechoose is entire first short skill though, could the artist now dodge? Or declare martial arts 3/4 against the not natural born warrior model?

9. SoMann

SoMann Member

I don't think there are take backs. Illegal skills turns to idle iirc. So if you declare with the possibility of someone using nbw you have already declared your skill.
    Because if you get to take back your skill then why shouldn't nbw-model be allowed to do it too?

10. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Following the example found near the Natural Born Warrior skill; no he doesn't get to re-declare the skill, only re-adjust it to take into account the lack of Martial Arts skill.
    I think you're going the wrong way with your reasoning, but I'm not quite following you. Could you explain what you mean with "take backs" in relation to a skill turning idle, preferably using an example where Musashi is engaged with 2 Jaguars and 1 Massacre and has just declared Martial Arts 5 against all three enemies?

kinginyellow likes this.
  11. SoMann

SoMann Member

I thought I edited that out but I didn't.

What I meant was an answer to the post above if the attacker (ma-user) can change skill to dodge. The example shows that the attacker can change target retroactively but I doubt it's possible to change skill.

12. Leviathan

Leviathan Hungry Caliban

They dont change target. They're still targeting all three. They're just losing two dice, leaving them only one to allocate.

ijw and inane.imp like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation