1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name three units per faction you'd want to change

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Stiopa, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Errhile

Errhile A traveller on the Silk Road

I recall there was a topic - back in the old forum - for having alternate loadouts for Geckos.

The twin Combi Gecko is quite well-suited for close-in combat: up to 16" you get +3, there's Burst 4 and Damage 14 (thanks to ITS Ironclad rule). It is decent as long as you don't have to engage over long distances with it.

I think it is a matter of perspective: most TAGs are well-suited to long-tranged combat - with HMGs, Spitfires or Mk12s. Twin Combi is the odd one there, and it needs a more dense terrain. Then again, in my last game it would pretty well on one of my flanks (since I played QK, I had to content myself with Scarface. Who was fine but not optimal - and too big for some tight spots!). Also, the point cost and SWC cost makes it way more bearable if you lose one...

prophet of doom and Stiopa like this.
  2. inane.imp

inane.imp Well-Known Member

Late game B4 and BS13 can get work done even at range. Particularly when you've got solid odds of shrugging any return fire that slips through. It's not going to work vs a linked ML: but if they do max 1 or maybe 2 STR per ARO then risking it is a valid play. Remember structure tanking is a thing ;).

A Gecko out of cover vs an unlinked Grunt Sniper in cover at 16-32":

Gecko - Combi Rifle (2) vs. USAriadna Grunts - Sniper Rifle

Active Player

32.40% Gecko inflicts 1 or more wounds on USAriadna Grunts (Unconscious)
    6.29% Gecko inflicts 2 or more wounds on USAriadna Grunts (Dead)

Failures

43.47% Neither player succeeds

Reactive Player

24.13% USAriadna Grunts inflicts 1 or more wounds on Gecko (2 STR)

And there's always the option to Move-Move, Move-BS Attack to push into your good range:

Gecko vs. USAriadna Grunts - Sniper Rifle

Reactive Player

37.50% USAriadna Grunts inflicts 1 or more wounds on Gecko (2 STR)

Gecko - Combi Rifle (2) vs. USAriadna Grunts - Sniper Rifle

Active Player

52.22% Gecko inflicts 1 or more wounds on USAriadna Grunts (Unconscious)
    18.12% Gecko inflicts 2 or more wounds on USAriadna Grunts (Dead)

Failures

34.95% Neither player succeeds

Reactive Player

12.83% USAriadna Grunts inflicts 1 or more wounds on Gecko (2 STR)

loricus and ijw like this.
  3. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

It can be frustrating when you realise you were sacrificing 1 STR away from a Gecko swapping who's in the good range :)

4. Solar

Solar Well-Known Member

Geckos having dual combis is ace. Over 16" you've got the big bad panzerfaust and the nice thing about combis is that the Gecko is getting that +3 range in the 8" CQB range band, which other heavier weapons typically don't. Means you can use your Gecko as a close assault guy, with the Chain Colt and a B4 gun for up close. Damage 14 these days too! Also if it had longer range weapons it'd probably cost a lot more.

Errhile likes this.
  5. Weathercock

Weathercock Well-Known Member

Considering getting into Ariadna, and these are the ones that jump out at me:

Caledonian Mormaers need something to make them less trash. It used to be that they were a strictly worse version of a Vet. Kazak that got away with it because they had link team functionality in their sectorial to give them a role, but not only is their link presence mediocre (and completely outshone in its own sectorial by Wulvers and Greys anyway). but the Vet. Kazak gained far better fireteam support than the Mormaer is capable of. It's a shame that such a beautiful model is so worthless, I cannot think of a single way where taking one is not reducing your viability (Although if someone does know a way, please let me know. I adore the models for it and would desperately love to actually build a force around them).

Spetsnazs are insanely good. To the point where I think that them losing something would probably be good for the rest of the faction. No unit should be so blatantly auto-include (let alone twice over).

Devil Dogs are just another case of being a worse version of better sectorials' options. They're not in as bad a place as I think the Mormaers' are, but it feels like they're lacking a place when you look at how much more efficient the other doggies are.

And then playing Yu Jing/ISS:

Pheasant is the obvious case. He just pays so much for a lot of stuff that he never uses. That CC profile is almost insulting when you start to look at his physique. Its a holdover from when the monofilament CCW was a thing, and it does not carry over well. They should either drop his close combat stats and martial arts down to insignificant levels to save on the inflated cost, or give us the option for variants that actually do close combat well (which would require a not awful PH stat).

Guijia needs something to make it less boring. It's not terrible, but there are other units that are more effective and more interesting in spades in this army. He just feels like a worse version of a PanO TAG.

Zhanshi need a point cut.

#205 Weathercock, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  6. Darkvortex87

Darkvortex87 Combat jump kamikaze

which, if I don't remember wrong, it's what it's meant to be.
    Guija is basically a "generation" older than actual pano TAGs .

Geckos are leftovers from gen 1 (with many upgrades)
    reptile class are gen 2. (The ones you see on nomads are upgraded, but the order should be lizard, anaconda, szalamander)
    guija,o yoroi are gen 3. (No amount of upgrade yet)
    Pano, Aleph,O-12 TAGs are gen 4.

barakiel and Del S like this.
  7. loricus

loricus Satellite Druid

Gecko could use more profiles but only for the sake of fun. Honestly almost no weapon can compare to the Combis profile. Even the MK12 only competes because they spend a lot of time in suppressive fire. Even Heavy Shotgun would be pointless without some other equipment to give it a role.

Balewolf likes this.
  8. Weathercock

Weathercock Well-Known Member

Which is fine from a fluff standpoint, but gives them no real place in the actual army. If fluff is the case, they should just retire the old profile and use Invincible Army's release as an excuse to drop a new Guijia with reworked profile. Keep the same model, but call it Guijia Mk2 or something.

9. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Should have done that when they released the new model...

10. Necromancy Black

Aleph:
    - Posthuman point cost increase. Probably add some SWC to certain profiles (FO, MK2).

- Amdronmeda needs so much in the way of skill or point reduction to make her worth it.

- Ditch the deva+bot profile and give the bot to either the HD or MULTI profile. Make one of those the new Lt option.

11. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

Combined
    Seed Soldiers, get rid of Seed Embryo rule or change it to allow the damn things to be used! Also, make cheaper ones that start normal.
    Almost all Shasvastii area few pts. Too expensive.

Tohaa
    Kaeltar more expensive or fix Symbiomates to only be able to soak up one ARO. Not all of them.

Yu Jing/ISS
    Zhanying, let them have a Core link team themselves. There’s not good reason they don’t.
    Bao, too expensive as they are. Make them cheaper or give them another skill.
    Sun Tze marksman is just stupid. I use the rules for Le Muet for him.

Mercs
    Bounty Hunters GIVE THEM AN ADHL! Shouldn’t they take guys alive?

12. Solodice

Solodice Freshly Squeezed Troll

When you can just cube extract why go through the effort?

Like in Eclipse Phase (stacks and cubes being cousins of one another) bounty hunters don't go after the body. The target is the stack as that's the person to them (the body is just a vehicle).

Balewolf likes this.
  13. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

Try doing that to runaway Wu Ming, Ariadnan in general, Ateks or Japanese peasant revolt leaders, though. Same goes for a few more exotic targets like Fidays or Teutons, but fluff wouldn't have those be even remotely possible targets for a brute underling like Bounty Hunters to defeat so that's a moot point.

14. inane.imp

'Ooops'.

Section9 and eciu like this.
  15. Solodice

Being cube-less among the human sphere seems to be a rarity not a commonality. I don't think it's been directly expressed that Ateks lack them. Also, seeing how YJ deals/dealt with the Japanese it's a more dead then alive policy.

Ariadna brings with a new problem for bounty hunters. They have to go back to the old school ways cause said cube extract method doesn't apply to them. That or just get an Ariadnian bounty hunter.

A runaway Wu Ming... that's a straight up bring his head back and we'll pay you type of job from YJ I would guess. Fidays don't get caught... they die as that's part of the job. Teutons would be an interesting target. Even though I'm sure the Black Friars would handle that matter over some bounty hunter.

16. Mahtamori

Mahtamori Well-Known Member

I'm sure the Kuge would like to make an example on peasants not conforming, though a runaway Wu Ming when I think about it has a suspended death sentence so a missile launcher is preferable over an adhesive launcher on them :)

Solodice likes this.
  17. Space Ranger

Space Ranger Well-Known Member

There's also the risk of destroying the Cube with a stray shot. There's a lot of weapons that can destroy it.

18. inane.imp

"Ooops"

19. Xeurian

Xeurian Well-Known Member

Follow up convo:
    Q: "Where is my payment?"
    A: "Ooops."

eciu and Section9 like this.
  20. Solodice

It's not stray shots (cubes would be worthless if one stray bullet did it in). It's weapons that disable the cubes that are more of the worry. Bounty Hunters would be wise to not use those weapons just in case your target gets put down anyways.

True Death in Infinity wasn't something of great worry during military engagements until the CA landed on Paradiso.

Applying our world logic to Infinity kind of falls short especially when you involve cubes. Why capture bounty targets when the cube is easier. Same goes for intelligence operatives or terrorists. Easier to drop them, grab the cube, and do what you want with it. Meat bodies be damned.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation