1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laser cutter advice...

Discussion in 'Scenery' started by Kukuruznik, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Kukuruznik

Kukuruznik New Member

Hi all,

looking for a laser cutter for hobby use - mdf and acrylic cutting in sizes up to 20*30 or 40*30 cm. Don't mind some assembly, but ease of use is important. Cuold definitely buy from Alibaba or similar... What are your experiences? What should I look for, any recommandations regarding brand etc?

Thanks in advance!

//Peter

2. cazboab

cazboab Definitely not Cazboaz.

From personal experience if you're looking at the frame and diode style, find the biggest door you can and slam it on your head a few times.

It's cheaper and will hurt less.

The fully enclosed CO2 tube setup is better in pretty much every way.

Find out if there's a makerspace or something like that near you, find out what they have, and ask about it, maybe learn how to use it then buy something similar.

#2 cazboab, Sep 9, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  3. Mob of Blondes

Mob of Blondes Well-Known Member

Diode ones will not cut all MDF, plywood or acrylics. In some cases they will after multiple passes, but in others not at all. They are weak and in some cases the light freq used is completly useless (black cardboard easier than white, but with acrylic sheet it can go from "multiple pass" to "no cut" as color varies). CO2 cut all the typical materials in a single pass.

Hobby ones are normally open type, you will have to build your own box or wear glasses all the time (maybe no acrylic or plywood cuts... but sure eye damage).

Makerspace is a good idea, they may also advice about buying a laser and a new set of circuits, and replace the control board with something better (or at least tested).

cazboab, jherazob and chromedog like this.
  4. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

As well as eye protection and/or enclosures, think about venting (mdf is being burned by the laser, and you don't want to be breathing that shit in) as well.

jherazob likes this.
  5. Mob of Blondes

If cardboard and thin plastic is OK, look for blade cutters like those from KNK or Silhouette.. No venting, just noise like some printers. Bonus is that you probably will be able to cut, or at least mark and then split by force, Foamed PVC, which is stupid with a laser (poisonous chlorine gas).

jherazob likes this.
  6. chromedog

and dioxins. They always forget the dioxins.

The liberated chlorine compounds are bad, too.

jherazob likes this.
  7. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Phosgene is the usual burning-PVC byproduct. You need a lot more heat to rip that down to plain chlorine gas.

I think the better-supported 'home'/hobbyist use laser cutter is a Lasersaur. Getting the mirrors aligned is a massive pain in the ass, apparently, and it is absolutely critical.

jherazob and chromedog like this.
  8. chromedog

Lasersaur? Is that like a dinosaur with a frickin' laser? I think I've seen a really bad old cartoon about them.

jherazob likes this.
  9. Section9

Bigass beast of a laser cutter. http://www.lasersaur.com/

Big enough for low-end commercial work, but since it's open-source it can be fiddly to get everything lined up.

jherazob and chromedog like this.
  10. LaughinGod

LaughinGod Well-Known Member
    Warcor

I bought some 150 euro 3W laser engraver from aliexpress. You can only engrave with it, can cut cardboard only. And even engraving takes ages, I engraved hexgrid and big ALEPH logo on A4 size plywood, took like 8+ hours ( I did make 15 minute breaks after each hour or so, to let laser cool down a bit ). So if you want to cut stuff, go for 40W CO2 one, I think they are around 400 euros on aliexpress.

jherazob likes this.
  11. Mob of Blondes

Ah, OK, I meant chlorine as in Cl in the molecule, not exactly pure Cl2 gas. So looked it up... https://www.directplastics.co.uk/about_plastics/post/whats-in-those-fumes Nasty collection. Phosgene not listed, but if you search, studies mention that it also happens in some cases. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7464068
    Anyhow, avoid heated or burnt PVC.

chromedog and jherazob like this.
  12. Section9

Very much so!

And yes, you want a 40watt laser. With sufficient dwell time and a small enough spot size, it can even cut metal.

13. timberfox

timberfox Active Member

well i`m lucky because i work with a lasercutting machine for work,
    its only 4400 WATT strong and can hold sheets of 3 by 1.5 meters.
    i cutt most of my mdf buildings with that.

Attached Files:

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation