1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

thoughts on Play by intent

Discussion in 'Access Guide to the Human Sphere' started by Death, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cry of the Wind

Cry of the Wind Well-Known Member

It also didn't actually deal with the scenario of being allowed to move the marker around before determining the final intended location. That is the part that seems most contested and the video didn't help explain that at all. The unhelpful comment about it being unfair to ask your opponent if you are in cover or not (what does unfair mean in this context anyway?) is not an issue. Knowing if I am allowed to move the marker around and check LoF (which he appeared to do in the video) is.

I also find it worrying that a game designer seems to think the entire country of Japan might be playing their game wrong and would rather make a video clarifying (kindda) how a basic rule is supposed to work rather than ensure the rules are crystal clear on something as basic as moving a model and determining LoF.

Hecaton and daboarder like this.
  2. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

please dont, this guy has been bringing this topic up like clockwork every 6 months on the old forums, its just trolling.

3. Alkasyn

Alkasyn Well-Known Member

No.

Yes.

FatherKnowsBest likes this.
  4. thatAJguy

thatAJguy Active Member

While that makes me feel slightly less crazy... I almost brought up that damn video after I saw it : /

daboarder likes this.
  5. Cry of the Wind

Why not? Seems prudent to do so if you are not allowed to check it. I'd rather not miss an ARO because I wasn't sure if there was LoF until after I was able to declare it.

daboarder, Hecaton and the huanglong like this.
  6. the huanglong

the huanglong Well-Known Member

Aside from HD, markers and disposable weapons, why not?

Hecaton and Cry of the Wind like this.
  7. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

It actually would be, and would slow the game down dramatically. Hence the blue box on p. 61 of the English rules.

8. daboarder

Warcor

its in the spanish rules as well

9. Hecaton

Hecaton EI Anger Translator

Yeah, I just don't know if it's on the same page.

daboarder likes this.
  10. daboarder

Warcor

as the others have pointed out, why not? its prudent to declare everything just after the first short skill in case you can see that guy through the two windows and under the stairs that he didnt know about.

You know, that and the constant arguments about who can see now the pieces have been moved and nothing was discussed beforehand so everyone was on the same page.

Sounds like a great game, definitely going to save time and totally in line with the blue blurb

11. daboarder

Warcor

And then theres the camo markers that declare skills because they think they have LOF and reveal but after checking LOF you determine they dont.....so there was no ARO to ever allow them to drop camo, but now your opponent knows what your camo marker is.

Among others

12. Alkasyn

Alkasyn Well-Known Member

Because declaring ARO with ALL the models on the board, even ones that CANNOT under any circumstances gain the right to ARO is just wasting your and the opponents time.

Of course you should always declare AROs you think you're getting and some that you might be getting/you're unsure about, but declaring AROs with all the models you have is just being annoying and it greatly slows down the game.

FatherKnowsBest likes this.
  13. daboarder

Warcor

but you dont know, because you havent checked LOF.

And the Camo markers that reveal but never were legally able too?

Hecaton and the huanglong like this.
  14. the huanglong

Compare the impact on the game of declaring an ARO you were not entitled to, to not declaring an ARO you were entitled to. Better safe than sorry.

Hecaton likes this.
  15. Cry of the Wind

We are obviously exaggerating by stating all models declare AROs but the point stands. I will still be making many questionable ARO declarations out of fear of missing them if we don't agree on LoF prior to that point. This is where intent and players working together eliminates a waste of time for all parties and makes the game a smoother more gentlemanly affair.

I do think the Camo marker example is neither here nor there for this disagreement however. If you are not allowed to check LoF then it would be a risk you would have to take to declare and ARO with any form of camo/hidden model. You could always legally declare the camo ARO and would just idle if the ARO declared turned out to invalid.

Hecaton likes this.
  16. daboarder

Warcor

Also the fact of the matter is.

A Youtube video by palanka is no more "the rules" than Bostria's constant mistakes on Beasts of War or Tom Schadelz introduction series.
    The fact that this is an attempt to explain a game translated from spanish to english to japanese just adds further weight to this. And thats without going into the questionable character of slowburner.

Hecaton likes this.
  17. daboarder

Warcor

I was talking about the fact that you have to reveal the marker at the declaration not the resolution, as such you reveal, check LOF and find you never had LOF under the anti intent argument. a silly interaction of the rules compared to the check LOF, yes/no? then declare as appropriate

18. Cry of the Wind

I understand but as far as I can tell that is a logical and intended conclusion for the play by results side. You the ARO player made a mistake just like and active player can stick their head out too far and get multiple unintended AROs back.

19. daboarder

Warcor

It may be but its rules illegal and not supported by them because they never had the legal ARO. Of course that does just make it one of many rules that dont work this way

20. the huanglong

Infinity has and always will be the ultimate test of spatial awareness and hand eye coordination.

upload_2018-1-11_9-5-20.png

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation