1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PanO Tikbalang (Airbrush VS no-airbrush)

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Dingobattler, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Dingobattler

Dingobattler Member

First miniature using airbrush

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Versus my previous model which was brush-painted. I like both.

[​IMG]

2. Mirodasc

Mirodasc Member

Personally, I think the brushed one looks better with more care put into it.

3. chromedog

chromedog Less than significant minion

Airbrushing is just another technique in a painter's repertoire - no different to oils using a palette knife, or watercolours.
    Even Angel Giraldez does some parts of his models with a brush, even if the majority is done with the airbrush, because there's still no airbrush that can do all things.

Golem2God and Space Ranger like this.
  4. andre61

andre61 Well-Known Member

Very nice.

Dingobattler and Golem2God like this.
  5. Koin-Koin

Koin-Koin Well-Known Member

Both are great but they each in their own way.
    To me, there is no better or worse, just different. Different is good.

6. deep-green-x

deep-green-x Well-Known Member

The main advantage of the airbrush is the ease and speed with which you can paint large minis like TAG’s.

Can you compare the amount of time it took you to hand paint the Sereph vs the Tikbalang for example?

Dingobattler likes this.
  7. gregmurdock

gregmurdock Extremely Beloved Member

Why is the Tik on a 55mm base?

Both look good, btw.

Dingobattler likes this.
  8. Dingobattler

Dingobattler Member

Thank you for all the kind comments.

The airbrushed one took 15 to 20 hours. I hit it with lacquer glosscote after doing basecoat and blended shading/highlights, so everything above that was erasable. That saved massive amounts of time. If I didn't like an edge highlight, I'd just use acrylic thinner to remove it without affecting what was below.

The brushed one is easily 4-5 times that in hours. The blended sword was a massive pain. Each panel was also individually shaded with 2 highlights as a minimum. It's also a larger model, especially with the wings.

Personally I like the seraph more, because it's a nicer sculpt. I stopped painting miniatures for 5 years before that, it was what brought me back, and a real labour of love. Skillwise, I am happier with the tik, as I've used a lot more techniques, like blended shading and highlights, using lacquer coats, and a bunch of other stuff I learnt doing scale models. Plus I was much quicker.

As for the 55mm base, I don't (haven't) play(ed yet), so I assumed all tags are 55. I mainly paint models I like, and don't play. My next project will be the szalamandra. I have a fusilier painted up, but that's just to give the tags some scale, and nothing more.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation