1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aggressive USariadna

Discussion in 'Ariadna' started by DAE, Aug 14, 2018.

1. DAE

DAE Member

From what I've read about the US side of our awesome faction, it seems that they're best played defensively.
    With Grunts being the mainstay of each list...at least that's what I've read.

But I'm wondering if they can be played aggressively with a Grunt FTC or with Marauders or Minutemen?

I have also read the thread on the US as well.

Doug

2. barakiel

barakiel Echo Bravo Master Sergeant

Inferior Infiltrating Grunts, Van Zant + Parachutists, Foxtrot boarding shotgun, Minutemen (thanks to 4-4 MOV) or Marauders (thanks to starting in the midfield) can all fuel an aggressive playstyle. Nothing wrong there.

Golem2God, daboarder and Balewolf like this.
  3. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

Blackjacks as well, 3 of them on the table can make for a very good push core as do the Desperados and mavericks

4. anrian

anrian Member

I wouldn't say that they are best played defensively, but that defense is their ultimate strength. ARM 3 on a 10 pt model that provides a regular order and can be put in SF is quite a hammer. Also MM and Marauders and Mavericks come with ARM 3.
    Also our snipers are cheap: take for example two snipers, one medic, two FOs in a core link (1swc/70pts) and 4 Grunts with rifle (one of them Lieutenant) in SF to secure your DZ (1 swc/40pts) and you have a solid defense line and already 9 regular orders to provide for your 4swc/190pts aggressive models.

Golem2God likes this.
  5. Maloc

Maloc Well-Known Member
    Warcor

US can hit very hard. AP HMGs are brutal in 5 man link and snipers for days. lots of options using a core team for over watch while your strike elements move up the board. Desperadoes can punch above their weight.

6. Cthulhu Fhtagn!

Cthulhu Fhtagn! Active Member

Yes, USARF can hit pritty hard. Our Links (while not mixed) a well as Desperadoes and Mavericks can be dangerous if played correctly... that said:

You will need at least a Plan B for your offensive game since we lack some of the usual offensive Units (2W HI, MSV 2, CC Warbands with Levels in MA, etc.) and can't really rely on one Tool alone.

#6 Cthulhu Fhtagn!, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  7. TheDiceAbide

TheDiceAbide Thank you for your compliance.
    Warcor

I generally play far more offensively than defensively. @barakiel is off to a good start with his list. I often take 1-2 rocket launcher armed Mavericks, Devil Dogs, Rosie, and Desperados. Infiltrating Grunts are so-so in my experience, they end up eating your SWC and rarely land, I generally only take 1-2, instead of large numbers, I hate taking 6 of them and not landing any, and wasting 66 points and 3 SWC in the process.

I really do love the Devil Dog though, don't let the price tag of the Heavy Shotgun throw you off, regular Dog Warriors aren't putting out F2F rolls, and B2 on 16's is amazing, even more so with an impact template and damage 15. The F2F is really critical though, it keeps the Devil Dog in the game much longer than standard dog warriors.

Another strategy I like to employ is taking max AVA of foxtrot FOs, as well as a Katyusha. That is a different kind of offensive and can lead to having less friends.

Here is an example of a fairly typical list for me to take:

[​IMG] USAriadna Ranger Force
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────

GROUP 1[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]9 [​IMG]1 [​IMG]1
    [​IMG] ROSIE Light Rocket Launcher, Light Shotgun, D-Charges / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 22)
    [​IMG] GRUNT (Marksmanship LX) Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 18)
    [​IMG] GRUNT (Marksmanship LX) Sniper Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 18)
    [​IMG] GRUNT (Forward Observer) Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 11)
    [​IMG] GRUNT (Forward Observer) Rifle / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 11)
    [​IMG] GRUNT Lieutenant Rifle, Light Grenade Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (1 | 14)
    [​IMG] VAN ZANT AP Rifle / Heavy Pistol, AP CCW. (0 | 38)
    [​IMG] FOXTROT (Forward Observer) Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 18)
    [​IMG] FOXTROT (Forward Observer) Rifle, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 18)
    [​IMG] DEVIL DOG Heavy Shotgun, Smoke Grenades + 1 K-9 Antipode / AP CCW. (0 | 39)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] K-9 ANTIPODE AP CCW. (7)

GROUP 2[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]6 [​IMG]1
    [​IMG] MAVERICK Submachine Gun, Light Rocket Launcher / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 22)
    [​IMG] 112 Light Shotgun / Pistol, CCW. (0 | 12)
    [​IMG] GRUNT (Inferior Infiltration) Heavy Flamethrower, Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 11)
    [​IMG] GRUNT (Inferior Infiltration) Heavy Flamethrower, Light Shotgun / Pistol, Knife. (0.5 | 11)
    [​IMG] FOXTROT Boarding Shotgun, Antipersonnel Mines / Pistol, Knife. (0 | 19)

3.5 SWC | 300 Points

Open in Infinity Army

You'll notice that it's quite light on SWC, but really, USARF doesn't need a whole ton, heavy flamethrowers, heavy shotguns, boarding shotguns, devil dogs, rocket launchers... they all do the job quite well. You could swap Rosie for a Grunt HMG instead, but I really enjoy the B3 light rocket launcher she brings.

Golem2God and Gargs454 like this.
  8. Cabaray

Cabaray Well-Known Member
    Warcor

pretty important to mix up the strong defense with some offense units or you will never play outside of your deployment zone. Hammer and Anvil tactics work well with Usariadna. Pin your opponent between a good defensive grunt link, van zant, foxtrots, devil dogs and desperados. I like to make my lists in a way that they can attack from different angles.

TheDiceAbide and Gargs454 like this.
  9. Yvain

Yvain Well-Known Member

TBA, what is your take on the Foxtrot BS? Why take that when you can get ambush camo hardcase with LSG for 12?

I want to like the HS dog, but the problem I run into more often than not is getting him into range for the +6 range band. I feel like he is too expensive because I am always forced to risk him with a bad smoke dodge match up or eat an order. I wish had didn't have his dog or his dog was optional.

Those points add up, when i look at your list, I could save 16 points with those switches and add a 2 AP Desperado with some change.

10. TheDiceAbide

TheDiceAbide Thank you for your compliance.
    Warcor

There isn't much difference between getting in +6 range for a Heavy Shotgun, and getting in Chain Rifle range, especially with how fast Dog Warriors are, and their Super Jump. You do often have to drop smoke to advance, but you'd be surprised about the things you can ignore. A swiss guard popping out with a missile launcher has less than a 50% chance of dealing a single wound, and cannot deal two, thanks to Total Immunity. Don't be afraid to take a hit, if it means you save an order to hit back even harder. The biggest problem with the chain rifle is that most opponents have a >50% chance to avoid the hit, forcing you to keep spending orders to kill. If you hit multiple enemies with the Heavy Shotgun, it's a lot better than hitting multiple enemies with a chain rifle.

If I'm desperate for points, I would consider swapping a Foxtrot down to a Hardcase. I really do like hard cases, but being Irregular is a big penalty. Furthermore, not having mines means it can't drop a mine before shooting and forcing a dodge, and is less helpful for defending zones and slowing down the enemy. Like I said, I do like Hardcases, but if I can fit in a Foxtrot, I would rather do that.

Golem2God likes this.
  11. anrian

anrian Member

Why? You can run him into mines or AROs. Walk with your Devil Dog in the first short skill to an edge and with your Antipode a bit further, so that he triggers an ARO. Then take the risk to sacrifice him and just move on with your second short skill. Also against TAGs they are awesome together....

I always struggle to take them too because I get them killed often in silly situations like being too greedy to spend an order to prevent their impetious... but when you get him or them in place they are... well lets say... nomen est omen.

12. DAE

DAE Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the comments.
    I just posted 2 lists...1 CHA and 1 US...for some constructive criticism.

13. Yvain

Yvain Well-Known Member

Because the way the dogs are designed they are like a furry missile. You launch them out on a suicide run to punch above their weight and cause problems. You are paying 27 points for a standard dog warrior and 23 for a Cam. With the standard dog warrior, in some cases the decreased armor pre-transformation is a negative, but effectively you have paying 4 points for an almost extra wound. That extra wound can take up the single ARO or mine just as easily. The Cam doesn't have that, but you can sacrifice 23 points pretty easily and not have to worry.

This comes into why the Devil Dog is the worst Dog. You trade off weapons for 1 point of armor. Effectively, that is around a 7% increase in survivability per wound. That is not very much at all and you trade off a lot of your lethality. This would be a good deal if he could use cover and make the armor work, but right off the bat, this makes their benefits much worse than the regular dog. On the chain rilfe DD, you are paying 7 points for an extra wound that you have to finagle to get use out of. I would argue that throwing your dog away like that is kind of a waste of points, 7 vs 4 when you think about it.

And then there is the sometimes ability sensor you get for those 7 points. I said before Dogs are a missile. They are suppose to jump in and do damage, not run around sniffing for camo, which because of the way Ext Imp works you may have to be burning orders to keep him from killing himself so he can properly utilize the ability. The new strelok is much better suited to use sensor because of natural camo, FD, and no requirement to run in and kill himself. I suppose I would rather have sensor than not have access at all. While I hatthe G:sync rule on the dogs (I think they need duo or something) I can accept it here even though the dog is probably over priced. Though every time the pup just stands there after his masters death I die inside.

On the HS, its is the problem. I think TDA was alluding to it, the HS version is there to get into gun fights and act less as a missile and more as a F2F winner. You are now sinking in 7 points into probably an already over priced profile that are not helping him win those rolls. I know direct comparisons don't fit, but compare 39 points to a 21 point BSG Maverick who has very similar abilities (speed, smoke, weapon type, high arm). Against a MSV2 Black Friar, the Maverick has a 60% vs 11% K/D and the DD has a 40% vs 21%. And you can almost afford 2 BSG Mavericks for one HS Devil Dog, which basically covers the W lose.

Again, for the DD and Pup combo to work they really need to become a duo. I would pay the extra points. With the Strelok dog having multiple stacked abilities on him for 1 more point I would argue that his price doesn't really even have to jump that high.

• About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation