1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tankhunter AC vs ML vs HMG

Discussion in 'Ariadna' started by coleslaw, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Make PanO Great Again :P

Make PanO Great Again :P Varuna, with the deadliest reptiles in the sphere

One costs 32pt, the other 69pt..... i want a rest of an army and not to loose so much of my list going with one dice against anyone with a visor and a machine gun or a template

theradrussian likes this.
  2. prophet of doom

prophet of doom Well-Known Member

I only use the AC when I am expecting a TAG. It delivers very well against those and after the initial active shots the tankhunter AC makes for an excellent ARO trooper.

I tried the Scots Guard ML, but i missed with my one die and that put me off the idea of camouflaged ML. It might be a nasty surprise every now and then, though.

For the light targets, I prefer the Spetsnaz HMG because of the speed and higher probability to hit.

coleslaw likes this.
  3. daboarder

daboarder Force One Commander
    Warcor

Thats your choice.
    Thats not a fault in the units it the design of the list.

4. Make PanO Great Again :P

Make PanO Great Again :P Varuna, with the deadliest reptiles in the sphere

We were talking about 2 units that cost the same and cover the same roll, have no idea why the choice of a swiss has to be talked about at all or why it is relevant

- the ML is better aro that the MSR
    - take the swiss
    - the swiss is double the cost
    - dont blame the swiss

just chill out

5. prophet of doom

This may easily go the wrong way considering that fireteam members have Burst 2 and very often Sixth Sense Level 2 in their reactive Turn. That's basically the reason the TH ML has fallen out of favour with me.

daboarder and coleslaw like this.
  6. Hansolo

Hansolo Well-Known Member

Yes. That's why I never shoot at fireteam in my active turn - only in ARO. Ideally, at the one member who is not a link leader. And even when shooting at link leader - remember that you don't have to win F2F roll to place a template - you only need to hit your target number.

Tankhunter will mostly die after that, but template should kill some fools.

coleslaw likes this.
  7. prophet of doom

makes sense, people might fall for that. Has happened to me, but at least it was a Hidden Deployment trooper that messed up my day. The opponent then has to break the link and dodge with all of the link team members, probably still losing some.

I will certainly not field a TH ML every game just because I might be lucky enough to destroy a link, though.

I guess that the mere existence of camo ML in Ariadna will change how opponents behave. You don't even need to field one.

8. mightymuffin

mightymuffin Well-Known Member

IMHO, simply forcing an opponent to change their behaviour tends to be enough to justify a unit's inclusion..!

If you force your opponent to spread their fireteam out, then not only is it easier to pick on them one at a time, (starting with those 'extra' members only used to bulk the team out to 5), but some of them may have to be placed in less than optimum places, (e.g. out of cover, where you can out-range/under-range them).

9. prophet of doom

this gets even better... you don't need to field the TH ML for this! You just need to have a few camo markers that look like they could be TH ML. The opponent may not want to run the risk and spreads out the fireteam, allowing you to isolate the members. The TH ML is good just by existing. The threat is worse than the execution.

Wyrmnax likes this.
  10. coleslaw

coleslaw Veteran

Even better, you place the template in declaration, forcing all models under to commit to ARO before you roll a single die

11. daboarder

Warcor

So what do you do when the camo token recieves a disc+shoot order from the same link team before it move......

That is after all why camo ML are not nearly as good as the TO ML. After all its relatively easy for a good player to pop your units from camo amd then kill then when they are standing in lof

prophet of doom likes this.
  12. prophet of doom

Very much true. The opponent's team will have to waste orders and fiddle with the fireteam to do that. I think I will keep on enjoying the benefits of a camo ML without ever fielding it. Or maybe I have to field it every now and then against my regular opponents so that they keep on believing that I could use it.

daboarder likes this.
  13. daboarder

Warcor

which ties into why I prefer the autocannon

14. timmy

timmy Active Member

I have to agree that the tank hunter missile is pretty nice when Ariadna and TAK have so much access to ambush camo. If you have three camo markers standing up right in the deployment zone is the opponent going to move to then discover-shoot each one until they find the TH? It would take too long and force the opponent to probably make risks they don't want to. Besides any marker standing up for an ARO could just be a ambush camo-marker. Could be a wasted order if they succeed or even worse if they fail to discover.

You have made me reconsider the autocannon, it's much better on the attack for only a few more points and does still work pretty well as a direct-hit ARO piece afterwards.

prophet of doom likes this.
  15. prophet of doom

your opponents will certainly not complain if you leave the autocannon on the shelf.

16. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Tankhunters are AVA3 (and getting a character!). Por que no los tres? :smiling_imp:

I will admit it is something of a shame that the autocannon didn't get resculpted, though. For converting the Autocannon, I'd chase down a 40k-sized Barrett 50. I think Maxmini is the source for mine.

17. coleslaw

coleslaw Veteran

I have the maxmini barretts, I think they are too small. Would work great for T2 sniper or something. Will check when I get home in a week

18. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

I mean, the obvious answer is "nothing" right?

Because after range, cover and Camo the chances of that Discover going off aren't great, and the more orders they sink here the better even if it is a missile launcher.

19. daboarder

Warcor

Even a fusilier is likely to be jobbing the TH on 9s given the link bonus. +3 for Link, -3 for cover, -3 for camo. You may think 50/50 odds of eating unopposed shots is good play, but I dont.

Discover+shoot is very efficient versus Camo, its not until you start hitting TO that the odds of getting discovered significantly drop to the point where not reactive becomes a standard choice.

20. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

Shooting back against a 5-trooper Fusilier fireteam is only 53% likely to end with a conscious Tankhunter.

And only one of those choices is likely to chew through multiple orders thanks to rotating the active trooper in the Fireteam.

The non-repeatability of Discover probably means it's better to take that risk.

Káosz Brigodéros likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation