1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oni´s JSA/Tohaa (slow)

Discussion in 'Miniatures' started by Oni, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,

The miniature forum was alway very inspiring to me so I decided to post some Minis too.
    My name is Markus and im from Germany. I am painting since December 2016, so far I am quite happy how the minis turn out. I learned everything from video´s/guides from all over the internet (try and fail :stuck_out_tongue:) so im very greatfull for all tips and hints you can give me to make the minis look better.

So here are my results.
    Shikami Zug.jpg

Suggestions are always welcome.

Greetz Oni

#1 Oni, Jul 31, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  2. xammy

xammy Keeper of Random Facts and Strong Opinions

Love the colors! Hue shift for highlights on that purple really make it pop!

3. Urian

Urian Active Member

Hi!

Looks great!

You just need to improve the contrast, it seems pretty flat actually. Smooth, but flat.

Also, try to not use white when you want to paint white, use it just for outlines.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 4 mediante Tapatalk

4. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Hi,

Thank you. I tried to shade the purple with glaces and brush for the first time, im very satisfied with the result. The one thing i really have to learn is edge highlighting, tried countless times but i have problems with my dillution i think.

Yeah the contrast is a problem too. I will overwork the grey and black. I tried on the white but it got chalkie. The only white that worked without getting chalkie was an airbrush colour. So everything got dead white :expressionless:. For the next white i try to make it better, there are plenty ouf armors to go :grinning:.

Greetz Oni

Golem2God likes this.
  5. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Ohayou gozaimasu dudes and dudettes,

The Forces of Japan are growing, the prototype of the Tanko Zensenbutai is ready. Hope you like it. As always any suggestions of improvement (appart of taking better photos :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) are very welcome.

Tanko Zug 1.JPG

Greetz Oni

#5 Oni, Aug 13, 2018
  6. HotFreshTofu

HotFreshTofu Well-Known Member

There's a really good flat and smooth look to your models. You did a great job with some highlights but if I can offer a comment it would be to apply washes to the cracks between armor plates, and don't be afraid to push the highlights even further.

It looks like you have done this to some areas actually, like the grey shoulder pads. But , my advice, push the darks darker and the lights lighter.

On the other hand, I like your models perfectly as is. I wanna see more. Really nice colours you have chosen!

jherazob likes this.
  7. Ugin

Ugin Well-Known Member
    Warcor

Nice color scheme, keep up mate!

8. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Thank you guys.

Thanks for your suggestion. Im still very inexperienced when it comes to shading but motivated to learn :wink:. I will try that on my next Tanko which is on my painting table right now. Lets see how it works out:smile:.

Greetz Oni

9. Golem2God

Golem2God Just a Kooky Kumotail serving others.

@Oni Markus, I have been trying to find a Purple/White color scheme and yours looks incredible. What are the colors that you used to create this?

10. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Thank you Golem2God,

Glad you like it. These are the colours i used for the Tanko.

Purple parts:

Base colour - VGC 72.015 Hexed Lichen
    Shade - VGC 72.015 Hexed Lichen + VMC 70.950 Black
    Highlight - VGC 72.014 Warlord Purple
    Edge Highlights, Scratches etc. - VGC 72.013 Squid Pink

Grey Parts:

Base colour - VMC 70.869 Basalt Grey
    Shade - VMC 70.995 German Grey
    Highlight - VMC 70.992 Neutral Grey

Black Parts:

Base colour - VMC 70.950 Black
    Highlight - VMC 70.995 German Grey
    Edge Highlight - VMC 70.951 White
    Everything toned down with a black glaze

Green parts:

Base colour - VMC 70.823 Luftwaffe cam. Green
    Shade - Citadel Nuln Oil
    Highlight - Luftwaffe cam. Green + VMC 70.954 Yellow Green

OSL:
    VMC 70.808 Blue Green

Aaaaaaaaand the Rest:

70.521 Metal Medium
    Citadel Retributor Armour
    70.524 Thinner Medium
    73.596 Glaze Medium

Shikami

White parts

Base colour - VMC 70.906 Pale Blue
    Highlight - VGA 72.701 Dead white

But I am not very satisfied with the White :confused:, so i will Update this:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Hope that helps.

Greetz Oni

11. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Hi again,

I finished the Tanko with my favourite sculpt.

This time I tried to bring a little bit more shades/highlights in, espacialy to the breast armour. As always critique is very welcome :wink:.

Tanko Zug 2.JPG

Greetz Oni

#11 Oni, Aug 22, 2018
  12. Golem2God

It looks great in my opinion. Different from the Shikami but still a nice interesting take on a purple color scheme.

Oni likes this.
  13. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

WOW!!! (where's this forum's "nosebleed" emoji?!?)

Very clean! (and that's the hardest part, IMO)

You can really crank up the contrast some more, darker shadows and brighter highlights. You have the steady hands to pull it off.

Black and white are the two hardest colors, because you can't get any darker or any lighter.

On the old forum, one of the guys (palocles?) had an EI Avatar he'd painted.

His white started all the way down at the old GW Shadow Gray (I think it's called The Fang now). Lots and lots of thin layers, each adding a little more white to the mix, until he finally put a few tiny dots of pure white on the highest points of the face.

He got the gloss black look of the armor plates by starting pure black and highlighting all the way up to roughly Vallejo Ivory. The trick in both is that your early 'highlights' need to be huge, I think he painted more than half the model in one of his highlight colors.

I personally prefer starting from a mid color and shading down with washes, then going back over the higher spots with my base color, and adding highlights from there. I've found that easier than getting the initial highlights wide enough when starting from the shadow color.

Oni likes this.
  14. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Thank you guys,

@Golem2God
    Except for the colours (red has been changed to purple) I am trying to stick with the studio sceme, therefore the base colour of the Tanko armour is purple. The Domaru, Keisotsu and the Dayokai will have white armour similar to the Shikami. Maybe you will like them more :wink:.

@Section9
    Thank you for your tip, I will try to find the post in the old forum. Unfortunately the reason why I am a really slow painter is that my hands are shaky as ****. So I really often have to overwork the mistakes what takes much time and is really frustrating sometimes(The best thing is to overwork the mistakes that you made as you tried to overwork your mistakes:wink:). But purple is really forgiving. What really scares me are the next white armours:sweat:. But nevertheless whith a little practice im sure that the results will be pretty ok, at least for myself:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Greetz Oni

Golem2God likes this.
  15. Section9

Section9 Well-Known Member

Shaky hands?

A drink or two may help. Seriously. Yes, overindulgence is bad. A drink is usually good for you. Will definitely reduce the shakes.

I ended up going mostly to washes and drybrushes for my painting, my hands are horribly shaky, too. Even after a couple beers. I think it's too much caffeine when I'm trying to be awake on a schedule.

16. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is kind of annoying. Got this since I was a kid so I am quite used to it. When I am lucky and keep focused i can paint 1-2 hours a day, but most of the time I overdo things and than the mistakes tend to happen which can ruin all the work.

Drinking and Painting? Yeah I get drunk very fast, so maybe not the best solution. What works best for me is a good meal before painting and good music. Caffeine is the pure evil, with to much of that i am shaking so much that i could play guitar in a speed metal band:wink:.

The nice thing about the Infinity minis is that the are very detailed, so you can achieve good results with basic techniques. Appart of the glazes for the highlight/shades i am only using base techniques. The only thing i usually dont use is dry brushing, when i do that it always looks very messy which i dont like much.

jherazob likes this.
  17. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Hi Folks,

The Tanko are finished. Unpainted I hated the sculpt of this one, but now I actually like him.

Tanko Zug 3.JPG

The next will be the Domaru, I will miss the funny heads.

A little tip I just recently learned. When you do the blacklining and dont have a steady hand give it a cote with gloss varnish first. You can really easily fix paint overs with a quick wipe with your fingers or a q-tip with cleaning liquid. It saved me quite some time on the grooves of the helmet.

So as usual, if you have some suggestions or critiques I am very greatfull.

Greetz Oni

#17 Oni, Sep 3, 2018
  18. Golem2God

See everyone, pink is a manly color. Especially when you mix purple with it.

jherazob, Oni and Deltervees like this.
  19. archangeleong

archangeleong Deadly Ninja Assassin

Nice work. Your skills are improving!

Oni likes this.
  20. Oni

Oni Well-Known Member

Thank you archangeleong,

As the next minis will be the domaru, lets see how good or bad I can copy you :wink:(Thanks again for your domaru armour guide). Im looking forward to see your next Tanko.

Was there ever any doubt:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:? Together with black it is so Metal :the_horns:.

Greetz Oni

#20 Oni, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    archangeleong likes this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation