1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with Jerk-illies

Discussion in 'Tohaa' started by WiT?, Jul 22, 2018.

1. WiT?

WiT? Well-Known Member

Phalanx is rather popular around here, so I'm running into him on a regular basis. He tucks away well out of strike range, and uses high speed and high durability to get wherever he can do the most damage, before obliterating my forces. Dude's clearly broken, couldn't possibly be a lack of strategy on my part... so wondering how best to deal with him?

So far, my best bet is locking really big open areas (because he can get past most areas with his gigantic cautious movement) with the Gao Rael, and trying to cover every inch of the DZ with flame templates. Suffice to say the success rate is on the low side, otherwise I wouldn't be making this thread =/

One thing I am really hurting for is a solid Achilles hunter, something that can dig him out of his hiding place. Most of my high impact pieces are SWC weapons, which struggle at close range and can't catch him more than a guts move away from cover. Our CQB troopers are either BS based and struggle with ODD, or are no match in CC. The Gao Rael is way too slow and is better used as a deterrent than an exterminator. Krakots are pretty good for doing some damage, but cap out at dealing 2W and then keeling over - so far a pair of these seem like the best option, and they're very vulnerable en route (plus one inevitably rolls a Krapot metachem result and slows the other down).

Wondering what I'm missing here, a unit or strategy that people find more effective than what I've been trying?

#1 WiT?, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  2. Arloid

Arloid Well-Known Member

Have you tried gao-reals with adhesive launchers? Should be a good detterent once he’s close.

Thaddius and Ginrei like this.
  3. ChoTimberwolf

ChoTimberwolf Artichoken Friend

Another strategy is a triad with a makaul in it, use eclipse to cover the space and when get in cc, triad in cc with makaul attacking means burst 3, ph +2 and the MA from makaul and his viral or da melee weapon, this is able to kill a lot of things or simple use his heavy flamer and watch him burn, burst 2 heavy flamer hurts, for range eh shoot missile launcher sukeul and hope for a crit?

Thaddius, Ben Kenobi and Ginrei like this.
  4. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Well-Known Member

Like @ChoTimberwolf said. Use an Makaul triad (1-2 + something else).
    But I think, your general tactic seems to be your problem.

Edit: I know, that my problem is my tactic too. All my lost games where due to my errors I made

Teslarod and ChoTimberwolf like this.
  5. Wombat85

Wombat85 Well-Known Member

Dont cover every avenue with flame, cover it with eclipse smoke. Brad pit wants to keep his distance from our viral toating warbands, putting eclipse forces his orders to just get close to you. Remember he is basically a small tag in points, he HAS to do damage with him or he will loose the game, plain and simple, no LOF, no kills. He wants to hide midfield after he cant ge much done, great, push the other side and make his backline pay.

ChoTimberwolf likes this.
  6. Thaddius

Thaddius Well-Known Member

Pheonix can be managed with the Gao Rael Triad. Pheonix will most likely win the FtF roll though that's what symbiomates are for. You don't need to kill him just make sure it's out of play long enough for you to counter punch. Having a Clipsos minelayer to slow the Myrmidon links advance is also good. An SP player is not going to want to change a 50/50 dodge on a mine and will need something else to clear it.

Another toolkit that can be used to manage pheonix is the Makaul+Makaul+Sakiel (Nimbus+) combo. This is a bit more order intensive but an excellent counter punch piece. Nimbus+ grenade the area. Hopefully your makaul can hit 2 models and double template them. Even if you don't kill them you're forcing the myrmidon link to throw smoke and use orders to manage the makauls that way.

As for Brad Pitt I usually take him on with the double symbiobeasts+controller. I would happily since 10 orders into bringing him down. The controller is really key. Sure you're probably going to die to a crit but if you manage to get all 3 into b2b you've forced normal rolls. They now have the choice of 3xDamage 17 Viral hits (You cannot miss on 22's) or Electric Pulse (IMM2) which can be argued as worse.

Managing SP is managing their ability to alpha strike though. Midfield minelayers, heavy flamer flank guards and MSV2 will be your friend with these encounters.

Abrilete, sorniak and ChoTimberwolf like this.
  7. sorniak

sorniak Well-Known Member

As Thaddius said. Solid msv sniperes, spitfires coverage (2 gao-raels, nikoul and mb. even kaauri sniper) - and SP player has a very hard time. Especialy if there is clipsos minelayer (or even two of them). When myrmidone link approaches - you put another mine with clipsos).

Other thing is Drakios with his albedo. I won that way expirienced Tohaa player last time. He has only msv units on ARO. So I could come to his deployment and stay there paralizing for a whole turn his actions. Other thing is that SP player is afraid of Tohaa alfa strike even more. Makauls in deployment with their HFT or Kerail with his dogs... If sp players leaves Phoenix on aro - that is actually good. You can try to snipe him with gao-rael (if failed symbiomate takes on fire) then you approache safely with makauls\kerails under smoke to come into cc and wait for aro (if he cc, you double flame him, if he dodges -you make cc attack...loosing Phoenix in SP is HUGE)

Everything is very scenery-depended though, depends on players expirience. But Tohaa has an advantage in this match IMHO.

8. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

If you can wait 'till he gets to midfield then a Triad with a Gao-Rael Boarding Shotgun seems like a good response.

I mean, he's basically always hidden so you can likely get to 8" and if he does something stupid like Engage then you chuck him on the wall and laugh.

It's not the fastest response, but with Tohaa order efficiency you should be able to do it. And it's not like Phalanx are known for lots of good long range AROs to bypass.

9. Zsolt

Zsolt Well-Known Member

Tohaa has lots of HFT, that should help burning that ODD off. Yeah he dodges on 15, that can be a problem. Throw a Nimbus grenade with a Sakiel first maybe?

I never thought about taking Gao-rael with boarding shotgun, and maybe it's only use is Achilles, so it's a bit situational. Though this topic is about how to deal with him anyway possible, so maybe it's fine.

Abrilete likes this.
  10. melkiach

melkiach PheroBoosted

Ectros Vulkan also do the job, not vs @Utsuro , but for all the other mortals it works

Utsuro and Abrilete like this.
  11. AdmiralJCJF

AdmiralJCJF Heart of the Hyperpower

To be fair I think it's a solid tool for any ODD or TO Camo.

Abrilete likes this.
  12. Abrilete

Abrilete Well-Known Member

Even though Achilles is superior in close combat, the Igao (thanks to Surprise Attack/Shot) can manage to damage him.
    A couple of them plus some lucky ARO will probably kill Achilles.

13. Magonus

Magonus Well-Known Member

The best answer to Achilles is layered AROs. If you begin your turn with Achilles in your deployment, plant some smoke/eclipse and surround him with a few guns.

If he begins his turn facing a Suppressive Fire Kaauri, linked Makaul, Baggage Chaksa, and a Viral Sakiel, for example, he is going to lose his ODD if he Shoots, and he is going to chip off Wounds if he Dodges. The Tohaa models I mentioned cost less than he does, and will be able to handle him, in most cases.

Otherwise, a Spitfire Gao-Rael or K1 Sukeul, with enough orders, will do the job reliably.

Abrilete and Zsolt like this.
  • About Us

We are a company founded in 2001 in Cangas (Spain), and devoted to design and manufacture games and figures. Our main product, Infinity the Game, was born with the ambition to satisfy the most demanding audience, offering the best quality.

Why are we here?

Because we are, first and foremost, players.

• Quick Navigation

Open the Quick Navigation